Remember Bryce Brown?

I've been around Bryce a few times. He used to come into the gym I work out at. He was always quiet and polite. If you didn't know who he was then you would have never known he was an NFL player except for the fact that he would be sporting the team colors that he was playing for at the time. I think he even drove a Camry or something....nothing flashy. I always thought it was such a shame how that situation played out for himself and us Vol fans. I think he simply listened to the wrong people.

Reactions: 5 people
The worst over hyped nothing was Nukeese... Flat out sucked

Do you remember all the hype about him and the "pahokee" boys chasing down rabbits in sugar cane fields and how they had this crazy next level speed. Then i remember the one game he actually broke free running a wildcat against auburn and got caught from behind..... i wanna say it was like a 200+ lb free safety.

So was Bill Snyder an idiot also?

He didn't play at K.State because of the allegations of him and his brother getting illegal cash benefits from a guy in Miami. He would have played early and often at K.State if not for those allegations.

Brown was one of the biggest busts in modern history. The guy was nowhere nearly as talented as he nor anyone else thought.

He definitely wasted the god given talent he had. He could have been really good. Bryce's issues were primarily because of his greedy head case of a Dad who used his son for monetary reasons. Parents like that can #uck up a kid mentally when they are young.

Huh? I thought he played pretty good as a true FR with a garbage OL. Played behind a top caliber Sr NFL back, even tho CLK named him a co-starter.

Yes, his hype was otherworldly. But that's others doing most of that. Would have prob been a first two round pick coming out as a Jr if daddy and uncle hadn't been handling his life.

No need to revise history and act like he was worthless. He wasn't.

Agreed. He definitely had talent. He played in the NFL, so he had some skills. I just don't think he had it all upstairs because of his selfish, psychotic Dad. He played well as Fr and was behind a finally healthy Sr M.Hardesty. Throw in the numbers Crompton was putting up in the pass game, especially the 2nd half of the season. If Kiffin had stayed,Bryce would have started the rest of his time at UT.

Reactions: 1 person
He didn't play at K.State because of the allegations of him and his brother getting illegal cash benefits from a guy in Miami. He would have played early and often at K.State if not for those allegations.

He was cleared by the NCAA BEFORE the season. Left early ON HIS OWN and declared for the draft. His brother stayed and played...so well in fact, that he was named Big 12 Newcomer of the Year! Next season he was the Big 12 Defensive Player of the Year! Excuses. They’re not just for breakfast anymore. :)

Reactions: 1 person
So was Bill Snyder an idiot also?

Brown wanted to be here not KSU. That was the issue with him and Snyder. Everyone knows that.

What did Dooley do?

Not promise him the starting spot when he was clearly the guy. But no Dooley wanted to pull his fake Saban crap he hadn't earned and went with Poole who was nowhere near as good.

Brown was one of the biggest busts in modern history. The guy was nowhere nearly as talented as he nor anyone else thought.

He had big games in the NFL. He was super talented. Better than who we had here when he left.

Brown wanted to be here not KSU. That was the issue.

The ISSUE was that he didn’t carry it through ANYWHERE he played. Did he not WANT to be in the NFL? Flashed some talent for a couple of games then went blank. Lazy? Unmotivated? Didn’t really love playing the game? One or all those fits somewhere. His talent was obvious...so was his disappearance.

Mostly the US Army / deployed rock. :)

I missed the 85 Sugar Vols because I was stationed in Germany...back in the day when there were only 2 or 3 college football games on TV each Saturday, almost never the Vols, and that didn't even really help because the Armed Forces Network (the only English-language or US-focused TV available) didn't carry all those, anyway. Maybe one or two. Never the Vols, that I can recall, in the three years I was stationed there.

And then later, deployments to Honduras, Haiti, and of course the Middle East and Asia would have more American TV available thanks to better technology, but less free time to watch anything because higher operational pace / war.

Even when stationed in the States, the pace could be so hectic that we'd miss a lot of football weekends. For the life of me, I don't remember anything of the 2001 season, even though I was right there at Fort Bragg, North Carolina. We were all spun up with the 9/11 aftermath and getting ready for things to come, working through a lot of weekends and so on.

So yeah, sorry, I missed some things. This youtube clip was the first I ever heard of the Bryce Brown circus. Musta been something to follow, live.

What does any of that have to do with Bryce Brown and his story? Bryce was class of 2008.

What does any of that have to do with Bryce Brown and his story? Bryce was class of 2008.

Considered class of 2009...since that’s when he signed and played his freshman season.

I certainly don’t have insider info on B.B. but from the people I know who were around him felt he was likable, low key, and actually kind of shy. Granted the drama around him was soap opera worthy which as many have said can be attributed to his family. I’ve personally witnessed players experiencing over zealous family members (putting it kindly) and actually ruin their child and his potential. That’s one reason I appreciate the Manning and Mays family allowing the boys to make their own decisions....

He just answered a question, maybe gave more info than was needed, but I enjoyed reading it.

I'm confused why it matters?

It doesn't. I was just trying to help because it doesn't seem he knows who Bryce Brown is ...because he was out of town in 85?

It doesn't. I was just trying to help because it doesn't seem he knows who Bryce Brown is ...because he was out of town in 85?

One of my faults is that I give long answers. At least I'm aware of it. :)

The central point of the long response was, when you're deployed a lot, you miss things, and there probably shouldn't be a negative stigma attached to it, like "hiding under a rock." It's just the way life goes if you're in a job that demands a lot of weekends away from TV, radio, and internet access.

I was making that point through illustration, and preemptively noting that I missed a lot more than just Bryce Brown's story. Like, big chunks of 30 years' worth of Vols stuff missed.

In a long answer. Kinda like this one. Heh. Mea culpa.

Gotcha. But he knows who BB is, he just hadn't kept up with him. Im pretty sure he was/is in the military longer than just 85, but I'll let him explain.

I have no clue what happened to BB after he left TN and my only excuse is I didn't really care.

Edit: There you go.

One of my faults is that I give long answers. At least I'm aware of it. :)

The central point of the long response was, when you're deployed a lot, you miss things, and there probably shouldn't be a negative stigma attached to it, like "hiding under a rock." It's just the way life goes if you're in a job that demands a lot of weekends away from TV, radio, and internet access.

I was making that point through illustration, and preemptively noting that I missed a lot more than just Bryce Brown's story. Like, big chunks of 30 years' worth of Vols stuff missed.

In a long answer. Kinda like this one. Heh. Mea culpa.

Ok cool so you do know this is the Bryce Brown from 2009 then? Not 1985.Not 2001.

There or a lot of jobs that require working weekends and missing Tennessee sports. If I were to explain my job history and all the games I've missed it would probably get moved to the political forum. But I don't really need that kind of affirmation, I come here for football talk. It seems that's getting more and more difficult to find.

Fwiw a lot of this video was new to me as well.

Gotcha. But he knows who BB is, he just hadn't kept up with him. Im pretty sure he was/is in the military longer than just 85, but I'll let him explain.

I have no clue what happened to BB after he left TN and my only excuse is I didn't really care.

Edit: There you go.

Do not care about his job or where he was pre 1985 lol. That's the whole point. Let's talk football!

Ok cool so you do know this is the Bryce Brown from 2009 then? Not 1985.Not 2001.

There or a lot of jobs that require working weekends and missing Tennessee sports. If I were to explain my job history and all the games I've missed it would probably get moved to the political forum. But I don't really need that kind of affirmation, I come here for football talk. It seems that's getting more and more difficult to find.

Fwiw a lot of this video was new to me as well.

Ah, I see now. You think I was looking for affirmation.

Nope, just explaining the rock I was under. If the fellow didn't want to know about the rock, he could've not asked about it. If you don't want to know about it, you could just skip the explanation.

Appreciate the feedback, though. :hi:

Last edited:
Do not care about his job or where he was pre 1985 lol. That's the whole point. Let's talk football!

You first! Lead by example you modern day William Wallace you! :rock2:

Ah, I see now. You think I was looking for affirmation.

Nope, just explaining the rock I was under. If the fellow didn't want to know about the rock, he could've not asked about it. If you don't want to know about it, you could just skip the explanation.

Appreciate the feedback, though. :hi:

p.s. Was there a 1985 Bryce Brown, or a 2001 guy by that name? Never heard of either. More stuff I missed?

You never did tho explain where you were during Bryce Browns actual career. Not that I care but if that was your intent with your post you missed the target.

That's probably why I replied to begin with. You see, I read your original reply and it was interesting then I got to the part where you were about to tell us about 2009 and I was disappointed.

VN Store

Back