Recruiting Forum Football Talk XXXIII

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remember when VN was praying that the walk-on DT wasn't injured badly? Might have something to do with Shoop's failure. Especially combined with our CB play, which was clearly related to CWM, who has been replaced. I expect the D to be much better, even without Barnett.

Reactions: 6 people
Remember when VN was praying that the walk-on DT wasn't injured badly? Might have something to do with Shoop's failure. Especially combined with our CB play, which was clearly related to CWM, who has been replaced. I expect the D to be much better, even without Barnett.

VN distinctly remembers that the media said all those injuries didn't add up to bad D

Reactions: 1 person

I think we can hold a team under 400 yard's rushing even without Barnett:eek:lol:

So our receivers for this recruiting class:

Kellogg
Taylor
Johnson

All in state, all future ballers. I love it! We can sign an all in state receiver, OL and most of our DL class. Amazing

Are you kidding??? Go watch the Vandy game.

That's not what I asked you... Explain to us what you saw....

My point is... We are healthy now so you can expect a whole lot better defense... Injuries matter... However, we did play bad defense at times but it wasn't the scheme... More than the DLine hurt us, the injuries to the LB's hurt us... Whenever you have D Line injuries your "LB'ers" turn into small D Linemen that have to plug their run fits... (Guys having to fend of blocks from 300 pound linemen that the usually don't have to)
So whenever you have injuries to your LB's you also have guys fitting wrong whether it is the LB didn't scrape or exchange positions properly because of a block a D linemen received that told that said LBer to exchange his postion for the D Linemen that just got blocked out of his hole... It's a combination of things but it was never about scheme with this defense... And even if you believe everything talking heads say as pertaining to what the (insert blank here) should do not EVEN one of them said anything about scheme as if they did then they don't know what they are talking about....
Scheme= Coach
Injuries= having kids that aren't ready thrust into said scheme
^= what you saw on Saturdays...
This^ =Mic drop 🎤

Last edited:
Reactions: 5 people
That's not what I asked you... Explain to us what you saw....

My point is... We are healthy now so you can expect a whole lot better defense... Injuries matter... However, we did play bad defense at times but it wasn't the scheme... More than the DLine hurt us, the injuries to the LB's hurt us... Whenever you have D Line injuries your "LB'ers" turn into small D Linemen that have to plug their run fits... (Guys having to fend of blocks from 300 pound linemen that the usually don't have to)
So whenever you have injuries to your LB's you also have guys fitting wrong whether it is the LB didn't scrape or exchange positions properly because of a block a D linemen received that told that said LBer to exchange his postion for the D Linemen that just got blocked out of his hole... It's a combination of things but it was never about scheme with this defense... And even if you believe everything talking heads say as pertaining to what the (insert blank here) should do not EVEN one of them said anything about scheme as if they did then they don't know what they are talking about....
Scheme= Coach
Injuries= having kids that aren't ready thrust into said scheme
^= what you saw on Saturdays...
This^ =Mic drop 🎤

I get it. We both want the Vols to win. It's the off season and we are anxious for the upcoming season.

My issues last year have more to do with seeing players, LBs, not getting better - not getting to the ball carrier. Some of it is as you said. Some of it was coaching and development.

I am hopeful Shoop will have a better group this year, better development and way less injuries.

I get it. We both want the Vols to win. It's the off season and we are anxious for the upcoming season.

My issues last year have more to do with seeing players, LBs, not getting better - not getting to the ball carrier. Some of it is as you said. Some of it was coaching and development.

I am hopeful Shoop will have a better group this year, better development and way less injuries.
A lot of the "getting better" is reading their keys and getting to their run fits. I know people hate to hear it but it just comes from experience it... Rep it as much as possible and they will react quicker... Also, their are sometimes that their job prevents them from getting to the ball carrier...

What's everyone's thoughts on how many oline we take this year? Seems we have a lot to choose from instate and could really be a numbers crunch and passing on some solid talent.

Go watch the Florida game. They couldn't run at all. When we played cover two they couldn't get a damn first down. We were also missing our all American linebacker and cornerback that game.

Amazing how people forget how good our defense performed before we were depleted, and that was even without Cam, JRM and DK

Reactions: 4 people
Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back