Recruiting Forum Football Talk XXXIII

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's odd seeing the dichotomy between the fan's perspective and the coaching community on some of our precious coaches. Martinez and Azzanni are fairly well respected by a lot of coaches. You would think they are hacks from people on here.

By whom are those two so well respected? I don't remember any SEC squads trying to pull those guys away from us.

Butch has massively upgraded the staff that is for sure. Hope it pays dividends this fall

I agree with this statement. I love the Beard and Warren hires. All I was saying is that Martinez and Azzani are respected in the coaching community. I have a friend in that community and he told me as much. Azzani got an NFL job. At one time, Martinez put 14 DBs into the NFL in a 10 year span. I think the game may have passed him by/ he can't reach the athletes anymore. Again, I think we are better off, but these guys aren't chop liver in their profession.

Reactions: 1 person
I agree with this statement. I love the Beard and Warren hires. All I was saying is that Martinez and Azzani are respected in the coaching community. I have a friend in that community and he told me as much. Azzani got an NFL job. At one time, Martinez put 14 DBs into the NFL in a 10 year span. I think the game may have passed him by/ he can't reach the athletes anymore. Again, I think we are better off, but these guys aren't chop liver in their profession.

Sure is hard to believe that Martinez put that many into the NFL, when he can't get anyone to turn their head around to locate the football.

Don't think Serrano is gonna make it

I hate how this season is playing out. It finally looked like we were making progress, but the pitching in league games so far has been terrible. We will see how the season plays out, but I agree, it does not look good at all.

Haha. You just look for my posts so that you can take the other side. Tennessee has very little basketball talent less than 3 hours away. A majority of talent is from West TN, and we all know it's tough for UT basketball to make that pull.

Chris Chiozza went to UF because Josh Pastner didn't make him a priority. If so, he would have most likely gone to Memphis. I will give you Corey Brewer, but we had Buzz Peterson.

Udonis Haslem, Al Horford, Joakim Noah, and Scottie Wilbekin are the 4 UF players that have been named to All-American teams in the last 20 years. Haslem and Wilbekin were from Florida. Horford was in high school in Michigan but was born in the Dominican Republic.

The 2013-2014 Final Four team had Kasey Hill, Michael Frazier, Patric Young, Chris Walker, and Scottie Wilbekin- all from Florida. Casey Prather was from Jackson. I didn't say their entire rosters are from Florida, but when you can fill 1/3-1/2 of your roster from places like Tampa, Orlando, and Jacksonville then you can pick and choose everyone else. Those three relatively large cities that are less than 2 hours from Gainesville. Florida has to compete with FSU and Miami, and these cities are closer to Gainesville. If UT has to recruit a kid from Nashville, then Vandy, UK, and Memphis are close.

So, yes, UF has an inherent recruiting advantage in almost every sport. I did say that basketball wasn't as strong as the others, but they still do. Oh yea, and kids don't dream about playing for UT basketball either. Maybe if Pearl was able to stick around. But Billy Donovan was successful for an entire generation, and Florida is a dream destination for many athletes who get division one offers.

Don't flatter yourself. It has nothing to do with you, and everything to do with the last couple of posts when I check the board anymore.

So between the 90s and 2013 Florida had two AAs who were from in state. Great. Maybe you can list some more. It doesn't change my opinion that Tennessee's recruiting base for basketball is not an excuse.

What the hell man?
Way to take that out of context. I said they have the POTENTIAL to be dominant or fail. If enough things go bad, it could go really bad. My point was we have the potential to do both...fail or succeed, spectacularly, I think we will have a fair amount of both, resulting in a good, but not great season. BB was the going off the deep end in his prediction.
I just think you can be overly dramatic at times. No offense intended.

Reactions: 7 people

I think a lot of times using who a coach has "put in the NFL" is very misleading. Has more to do with who they recruited.

Like talking about who Saban has put in the League. Well, yeah, if you sign 25 of the top 200 players every year, chances are many of them will make it to the next level.

So did Martinez coach up guys and get them to the league or was he blessed to be coaching guys that were going there anyway?

Reactions: 2 people
JJ was back at practice yesterday. He was in the video with Darrell Taylor mic'd up during circle of life drill. He had helmet and pads on with no green jersey too so doesn't look like injury was the reason he missed Thursday.

Reactions: 5 people
Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back