Recruiting Forum Football Talk XXXI

Status
Not open for further replies.
Because we need someone who cares about UT and about winning. Not someone who cares about building a resume or worrying about the bottom line.

We are in the mess we are in now because we have too many people who are interested in egos and agendas and not about what really matters....winning.

That's not limited to alums, almost every AD in the country knows they lose their livelihood if they don't Win. If Arizona made me their AD, I'd get fanatic about every sport at the school winning.

Because we need someone who cares about UT and about winning. Not someone who cares about building a resume or worrying about the bottom line.

We are in the mess we are in now because we have too many people who are interested in egos and agendas and not about what really matters....winning.

Probably plenty of AD candidates out there that care about winning.

I do, they have us at 17 as well, with no 5*. Atleast 247 gives us 1 5*.

I did notice some of the 3s were borderline 4s, hopefully they get a bump in the next ranking, if there is another.

I don't get this, if they get this bump, is this going to make them play better? Do they get a bump in talent also?

Lol. What world are you guys living in? Our admin doesn't care about winning like they should. They care about building buildings, stroking egos and finances being in the black.

Reactions: 6 people
This is all pretty depressing. Alabama and Florida embarrassing us even off the field, administrators don't seem to care about winning and Canales is going to be the QB coach. Only good news this morning is that Butch is considering hiring NC's DB coach.

Reactions: 3 people
If you want someone who understands this program, this conference, what it takes to win and has a proven track record and loves Tennessee and wants to win big then Dave Blackburn is the hire.

If you want a resume builder then I'm sure we can find someone who has a better sheet of paper they can stick on the chancellor lady's desk.

Eh, the truth of the matter is that everyone wants him because he's a Tennessee guy and they know his name. That's it. Not like we were overly successful when he has here.

What's telling to me, regardless of the hire, is that people are already claiming incompetence in regards to the new chancellor - and I'm sure it's just a coincidence that she's a woman.

And you think they actually hire one of those?

Who knows? Hart was a pretty good hire at the time.

The difference between me and the majority is that I'm willing to let the new chancellor have a role in this. As you're hinting at, our current administration doesn't have a stellar track record. Maybe it's good that she's an outsider?

The AD didn't protect Bruce. I remember Rob Lewis reporting that UT had knowledge of the photo and the lawyers didn't inform Bruce. They let him walk into the trap set by the NCAA.

Obviously Bruce dug his own grave but it never should have come to that. Only at Tennessee would you allow your head coach to walk into a four year show cause.

Reactions: 4 people
I thank Fulmer for his years of service as a coach and player but we bought him out to stay away from UT only to bring him back?

Also we have a greatly qualified candidate who has a PROVEN track record of being everything we are looking for.

But we would rather hire a has been who has never been an AD because...our egos on top don't want to give in to what anyone with a brain that follows UT wants? This place sucks. It took Bama all of about a week to hire a competent AD.

Who knows? Hart was a pretty good hire at the time.

The difference between me and the majority is that I'm willing to let the new chancellor have a role in this. As you're hinting at, our current administration doesn't have a stellar track record. Maybe it's good that she's an outsider?

He was?

Reactions: 1 person
Just went to the FF to read the fulmer thread.. interesting. LWS saying there is a lot of fire behind that smoke.

Ya know, I thought it was previously stated that Davenport didn't want DB because he was a Tennessee guy, and wanted a clean slate? It doesn't get much more orange clad than CPF!! Has anyone mentioned this?

Yes. Everyone was on board locally and nationally because he had experience with Alabama and Florida State, two very successful athletic institutions. And he "understood the importance of football in the south" or some **** like that.

I'm not saying he's done a great job or anything like that, but the hire was lauded almost universally and it was one of the only times I can remember that Tennessee identified their target and then hired him.

Bruce had a weekly segment on 104.5 during his purgatory years. He said Hamilton hung him out to dry and didn't defend him one bit. Said he was shocked.

The more that comes out, the more I think the truth lies somewhere in the middle.

When I said it wouldn't have ended well, i meant it sounds as if something else would have got him.

I loved Pearl. I grew up going to quarter full Wade Houston games and sitting front row of a 30-student student section to watch GTown run Buzz out of the gym. He took us to places I didn't think I'd ever see UT basketball go.

UT could have handled it better no doubt, but I think it would have only kicked the can down the road.

That said, I won't derail the thread with this much more.

The bar is criminally low, but hopefully damn near anyone UT can put in that AD spot will be better than the Hamilton/Hart era.

Yes. Everyone was on board locally and nationally because he had experience with Alabama and Florida State, two very successful athletic institutions. And he "understood the importance of football in the south" or some **** like that.

I'm not saying he's done a great job or anything like that, but the hire was lauded almost universally and it was one of the only times I can remember that Tennessee identified their target and then hired him.

He was a good hire and did what he was hired to do. Overall hart did well here.

The AD didn't protect Bruce. I remember Rob Lewis reporting that UT had knowledge of the photo and the lawyers didn't inform Bruce. They let him walk into the trap set by the NCAA.

Obviously Bruce dug his own grave but it never should have come to that. Only at Tennessee would you allow your head coach to walk into a four year show cause.

Even after the lie, had UT backed him and fought for him like every program does for their coaches, the punishment probably would have been much less severe.

Reactions: 1 person

Bruce jumped into the abyss.

1484554830505.gif

Reactions: 2 people
The merging of the athletic departments was going to be nasty no matter what, given the entrenched and somewhat entitled mentality some long term people had...But it had to be done. Hart had enough a$$ in him to do it.

That said, the smart play was probably to blow him out as soon as it was done. Pay him to go away and bring in someone to unite and move forward.

Eh, the truth of the matter is that everyone wants him because he's a Tennessee guy and they know his name. That's it. Not like we were overly successful when he has here.

What's telling to me, regardless of the hire, is that people are already claiming incompetence in regards to the new chancellor - and I'm sure it's just a coincidence that she's a woman.
Has nothing to do with the fact tha UTC has been excellent under his leadership??

Reactions: 3 people
Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back