Recruiting Forum Football Talk XXXI

Status
Not open for further replies.
This popped up on my news feed. When I opened it I received the "page not found" message.

Is this Thaxton? Any guesses?

EDIT: I decided to not be lazy and went to his thread. Seems to be the case. Carry on!

Attachments

• IMG_20170116_102327.jpg
    IMG_20170116_102327.jpg
    47.2 KB · Views: 4
Last edited:
Reactions: 1 person
I disagree but not worth getting into.

Not sure what you could possibly disagree with out of the things I listed.

I imagine it is Butch Jones but looking back on where we were and where he got us to I don't see how anyone could argue it wasn't a good hire. He rebuilt us from rock bottom and nobody wanted the job when he took it.

Bruce was dead in the water, with or without us. He was getting a show-cause no matter what, IMO.

Not true. Bruce lied, sealed his fate. University had knowledge of the photo and didn't share it with Bruce. If Bruce would have known of the photo, he wouldn't have lied. Up to that point it would have been a secondary violation and a minor penalty.

Reactions: 4 people
Other coaches and programs before and since have been caught doing worse things and gotten far less penalties.

Welcome to the NCAA.

Spin the wheel and see what ya get!

(Unless you are UNC or one of about 5 other programs. You guys will spin a special wheel. We swear that weight on the back is just decoration.)

BREAKING: Charlton Warren has agreed to terms to become Tennessee's defensive backs coach 🍊🏈

📰 1tn.co/2jQsz15

Reactions: 6 people
Not old
Not bald (edit: I think he actually is bald. But it's a shaved bald. Which makes it cool. Ha)
Not white
Butch is branching out.

Attachments

• IMG_3367.jpg
    IMG_3367.jpg
    31.6 KB · Views: 4
Last edited:
If UT had gotten behind Bruce instead of throwing him to the wolves, it could have gone differently

You're both right. The university could have and should have supported Bruce more than it did. However, We reached the point of no return fairly early in that process, and without the groundwork laid by UT to fix a minor issue early on, it became impossible to keep him.

Unfortunate. Bruce was my favorite coach in UT history, and following the basketball team from 2005-2010 was probably the most fun I've had as a UT fan. (2011 was a bit too toxic to enjoy after the Pitt and Nova wins at the end of 2010).

I won't dispute his results at all.

I was speaking more towards this narrative some people have that Pearl was unjustly fired, as if UT had any other choice. It was a ridiculous cluster, but ultimately Bruce did Bruce.

Now that guys like Pancratz, Brian Rice and other people that were within the program at that time are starting to admit that, it's becoming more clear to me that it was never going to end well.

I was very upset initially because it was a bbq and Coach Pearl botched the interview. I don't think that the admin or the lawyers did him any favors, but he made the dumb mistake to lie about it with evidence right in front of him. There have been people who have said that a lot more was going on and as ugly as bb recruiting is, I can believe that. I still wish it could have turned out differently and it did seem that the NCAA was very heavy-handed, considering the violations that were in the letter.

Butch Jones was a good hire.

Merge athletic departments.

Get finances in order.

Switched to Nike.

His worst hire was Donnie Tyndall. His buddy John Gilbert assisted in that screw up.

Good hire, but I will always be convinced that Hart had a hand in screwing up Gruden.

Clumsily.

Did well there.

Did not get market value, should have stayed with adidas.

Gilbert doing the leg work or not, Hart takes the blame or the credit for 100 percent of his coaching hires.

JMO.

Did I miss where Martinez was fired? Gotta be awkward over there for him.

Martinez reading the tweet about Warren's hire this morning :

bpN2JNq.gif

Reactions: 7 people
I was very upset initially because it was a bbq and Coach Pearl botched the interview. I don't think that the admin or the lawyers did him any favors, but he made the dumb mistake to lie about it with evidence right in front of him. There have been people who have said that a lot more was going on and as ugly as bb recruiting is, I can believe that. I still wish it could have turned out differently and it did seem that the NCAA was very heavy-handed, considering the violations that were in the letter.

NCAA is heavy handed when they sense weakness. Hamilton was weak as water and the NCAA had us by the short hairs.

Reactions: 2 people
BREAKING: Charlton Warren has agreed to terms to become Tennessee's defensive backs coach 🍊🏈

📰 1tn.co/2jQsz15

I have not heard an announcement that Martinez was leaving. The timing is definitely interesting.

Edit: In before...Is he bringing Fedora with him?

Read Warren's bio. Really good hire. No nonsense and highly competent. He will execute Shoop's scheme.

Charlton Warren to Join Football Staff - University of Tennessee Official Athletic Site

Charlton Warren has agreed to terms to become Tennessee's defensive backs coach

Jan. 16, 2017
12366217.jpeg

KNOXVILLE, Tenn. -- The Tennessee football program announced today Charlton Warren has agreed to terms to become the defensive backs coach for the Vols. Warren served as defensive backs coach at North Carolina the last two seasons and also has spent time on the Nebraska and Air Force coaching staffs. Willie Martinez will not be returning after serving as defensive backs coach for the Vols the past four seasons.

Warren joined the North Carolina coaching staff in 2015. UNC posted the 10th-best passing defense in the NCAA in 2016, allowing only 180.8 yards per game through the air. The Tar Heels allowed only 11 passing touchdowns, the fourth-fewest in the NCAA. Senior cornerback Des Lawrence earned third-team All-ACC honors.

In his first year in Chapel Hill, Warren played a major role for a North Carolina defense that allowed 14.5 fewer points from the previous season, the best improvement of any Power Five program. UNC also had the most improved pass defense in the country in both pass efficiency and yards per pass attempt. The Tar Heels led the ACC in interceptions, turnovers gained and passes defensed while posting an 11-3 record and earning a berth in the ACC Championship Game.

Warren earned a reputation as the Falcons’ top recruiter and was a part of six bowl games in nine seasons. In 2011, the Air Force pass defense ranked third in the NCAA in passing yards allowed at 166.8 yards per game and was second in 2010 by allowing 147.8 yards per game. The 2009 Falcons defense ranked seventh nationally with 20 interceptions and led the nation in turnover margin. The 2009 Falcons defense also ranked in the top 20 nationally in passing yards allowed (5th), total defense (11th) and pass efficiency defense (17th).
Military guy, very good recruiter as well. Seems like an all-around good man. Glad to have this one.

Reactions: 8 people
Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back