Recruiting Forum Football Talk XXI

Status
Not open for further replies.
How awesome would it be if this game just pissed off the coaches and players to win out. I think what someone else said about this loss and Oklahoma loss resulting in either a downward spiral or a complete reevaluation of our team and strategy in games. Two heartbreaking defeats like this won't result in more of the same. If the coaches don't change, then the players will.

When the going gets tough, the tough get going.

We'll find out whether Butch is the guy by the end of this season.

And unfortunately, we're now down Curt and Cam.

Reactions: 1 person
If this season goes how it's looking like it will go, the end will be a big turning point. Right now it seems that the Ron Zook comparisons are accurate. Zook was fired in his third year after a seven win season. That's probably where we'll end up this year.

The question is whether our AD is as committed to winning as FL was. If we go 7-5 and Hart gives Butch more time, we could completely waste the roster he put together and be back at square one.

If this season goes how it's looking like it will go, the end will be a big turning point. Right now it seems that the Ron Zook comparisons are accurate. Zook was fired in his third year after a seven win season. That's probably where we'll end up this year.

The question is whether our AD is as committed to winning as FL was. If we go 7-5 and Hart gives Butch more time, we could completely waste the roster he put together and be back at square one.

Zook had a much better SEC record.

11 in a row to Florida, 8 in a row to Alabama, 6 in a row to Auburn, 5 in a row to UGA, 4 in a row to LSU, 3 in a row to Missouri.

Gosh, being a Tennessee fan is just miserable right now.

Reactions: 2 people
Coleman getting some action today for the Pats.

@MikeReiss: Of Patriots' inactives, notable that rookie CB Justin Coleman is active over veteran Bradley Fletcher, who has struggled at times.

Not really. People keep saying we kept conservative but CBJ coached circles around Macklesmang. Truth is we just lost and it sucked but we were plenty creative this time.

Meh, for most of the game you're right, but kicking the extra point at the end and that awful three play sequence between FL's last two touchdowns were more of the same...coaching not to lose.

Meh, for most of the game you're right, but kicking the extra point at the end and that awful three play sequence between FL's last two touchdowns were more of the same...coaching not to lose.

Hindsight tho. Our offense had stopped moving the chains. Our damn line is only good for a half sometimes a little longer. TBH, that's our damn problem.

Reactions: 4 people

Butch's coaching not to lose because he doesn't trust the depth of the defense and one can see why. It's just not working. He's gotta force the breaks.

Butch's coaching not to lose because he doesn't trust the depth of the defense and one can see why. It's just not working. He's gotta force the breaks.

Our line is good for a half and our D is good as far as starters go. I swear sometimes it hurts more to start healing than it does to just stay in that comfortably suck mode. (Goes and cries now).

Reactions: 5 people
"Each individual has an individual process that we individually evaluate from an analytics standpoint and it's the over all mindset of our program that we have from the 102,455 to myself........ Blah blah blah

That sounds like me at a meeting when I am unexpectedly asked to speak to something that I know nothing about.

Morning, guys. This still ****ing sucks...I know we are all in a pretty crappy place...but our players played their hearts out and hopefully we'll get this ship righted and be on our way. Either way, the sun will still rise every morning and we will still be Tennessee Volunteers. Let's all start trying to put this disappointment behind us and get behind our players and coaches for a huge game agaisnt Arkansas next weekend. Go Vols now and Go Vols forever.

Probably worse case scenario. We finish 6-6, play a nobody in a bowl with a month to heal and just out talent them. Butch is back for 2016 as a lame duck. We fall farther behind and squander more talent.

Worst case scenario is that we lose every SEC game. I think we beat Vandy, but UK, Mizzou and SCAR aren't gimmes with the way we're playing. We play UK and Mizzou on the road, though I'm not sure that matters-- we lose equally in Neyland.

UK is playing well and will be amped to beat us, and we'll be coming off a brutal UF-Arky-UGA-Bama stretch, which makes us vulnerable. Mizzou has a streak against us, and Gary Pinkel is a great coach, especially at home. The OBC will make it a mission to go out with a SCAR victory in Neyland and will give it all he's got. This could be a Perfect Storm season to the downside. I don't really think the worst will happen, but if back-to-back losses start to mount, things could get ugly.

Not really. People keep saying we kept conservative but CBJ coached circles around Macklesmang. Truth is we just lost and it sucked but we were plenty creative this time.

Take away the two trick plays and our passing attack was totally non-existent. Take away the last drive when we had to pass and it's laughable. There are no excuses for the putrid passing game.

Worst case scenario is that we lose every SEC game. I think we beat Vandy, but UK, Mizzou and SCAR aren't gimmes with the way we're playing. We play UK and Mizzou on the road, though I'm not sure that matters-- we lose equally in Neyland.

UK is playing well and will be amped to beat us, and we'll be coming off a brutal UF-Arky-UGA-Bama stretch, which makes us vulnerable. Mizzou has a streak against us, and Gary Pinkel is a great coach, especially at home. The OBC will make it a mission to go out with a SCAR victory in Neyland and will give it all he's got. This could be a Perfect Storm season to the downside. I don't really think the worst will happen, but if back-to-back losses start to mount, things could get ugly.

100% agree. I think we have a 10% shot at 8-4. I think we have a 30% chance at 7-5. 50% at 6-6, 10% at 5-7.

Reactions: 3 people
I'm ready to get away from this finesse spread offense. Imagine an offense scheme that gets Hurd and kamara doing downhill consistently. Drags and flat are the backbone of our passing gone. Spread offenses are fine but the ones that work have a power running/ downfield passing aspects.

There are so many different offensive schemes that would do great with out players. (Our Oline does suck but quick timing routs would help) I just hate this finesse offense we run.

Imagine them in a Michigan style offense. Or a Zone read offense, with play action. I'm done with the spread, it should have never came to TN.

I'm done with this staff. Gutless coaches have no place in the SEC and Butch Jones is a gutless coach.

Reactions: 6 people
Most baseball teams are mixing analytics with the "gut feeling/pulse of team types". Butch needs to get a feeling for the game and coach using that as well. His card is snatching defeat from the jaws of victory.

A few more take aways:

Dobbs has fumble issues. Maybe he should get some special work with the running backs this week.

J. Jennings should be playing both ways. (That kick coverage!)

What a back Hurd is.

Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back