Recruiting Forum Football Talk XXI

Status
Not open for further replies.
Trying to feel better. Is not working?

The only thing that will help is a win, particularly one over Bama or GA but I ave zero confidence it can happen. I can't escape the gut feeling I have that the wheels are starting to come off. A loss next week and it could get ugly.

Reactions: 1 person
That's really weird about Cam. But he had an awful game even before that.

This is the way I see the season playing out:

BGSU Win
OK Loss
WC Win
FL Loss

ARK loss
GA loss
AL loss

Two of these:
MO
KY
SC

Vandy Win
NTX Win

6-6.

It is what it is.

Probably worse case scenario. We finish 6-6, play a nobody in a bowl with a month to heal and just out talent them. Butch is back for 2016 as a lame duck. We fall farther behind and squander more talent.

Two losses ago one poster was promoting "Butch Jones!' as a superlative exclamation whenever anything good happened. Now this. Not a good look for our fanbase.

Vent if you need to but try to keep a grip.

You mean a grip around the coach speaker's throat.

That's really weird about Cam. But he had an awful game even before that.

We were playing cover 3 the whole game almost. His job is to run straight back and get kewl everything in front.

That's coaching. Just doing his role.

Two losses ago one poster was promoting "Butch Jones!' as a superlative exclamation whenever anything good happened. Now this. Not a good look for our fanbase.

Vent if you need to but try to keep a grip.

Done with that clown. Let someone come in and win with Ron Zook 2.0 talent. This team is loaded but the HC is a clown.

Reactions: 5 people
Writing is on the wall. Butch Jones couldn't win if we had Ohio State's roster. It's a sad truth. I guess we should just give it another 5 years.

We were playing cover 3 the whole game almost. His job is to run straight back and get kewl everything in front.

Why were we in cover 3 on a team that can't push the ball down the field?

Cam wasn't hitting like usual. Wasn't into it out there for real.

He just seemed a step slow, and seems like he missed a tackle or two. Uncharacteristic.

This is the way I see the season playing out:

BGSU Win
OK Loss
WC Win
FL Loss

ARK loss
GA loss
AL loss

Two of these:
MO
KY
SC

Vandy Win
NTX Win

6-6.

It is what it is.
The way these coaches are handling this team, 6-6 would be our best case.

A curl route goes 61 yards to beat us.... On 4th and 14.....

Go make a damn play.

That's on players there.

Game management was all on the coaches....

If I'm some of the receivers on this team, I would seriously be considering transferring after this season. A lot of NFL caliber talent is being allowed to go to waste in this offense.

That game was clearly on the coaches. They have now gone ultra conservative in two big games and it cost them. I will give Butch the year of my support only because I truly believe that he is finally experiencing real, big boy football, on-the-job training. Against the top-tier of college football, you can not sit on a lead. He did it with a quarter and a half to go against OK, and he believed that by waiting until the last 5 minutes in this game that it would change the outcome. Coaches that are successful at this level learn that you never sit on a 2 TD lead unless you have the ball with two minutes left, max. Honestly, he coached a pretty damn good game until he went conservative. What he has to learn is that if he wants to win these games, he has to keep the pressure on until the final whistle. You got yourself into this position, big leads against good teams, by being aggressive and following your gameplan. Your team make-up is full of aggressive players, and you can visibly see them deflate when they know that they are going conservative. His future at Tennessee now rests on his ability to learn this lesson THIS SEASON. It's the difference between a heart-breaking loss, and a statement victory.

My bold prediction for the season is that by the season's end, most likely due to injury, Dormady will be our starter at some point. I can see now why the coaches have not used the slant routes and TE seams in games, because every slant is thrown way too hard and bounces off the receivers' chests and/or behind them, and the seam is ALWAYS overthrown, leaving our only truly serviceable TE out to dry or having a dangerously high risk of being intercepted. Even on simple throws like WE screens end up being toss ups because half of them hit between the WRs' feet, or is so far behind them that by the time they can turn upfield they are getting clocked by the defense. Dormady may make freshman mistakes, and we may lose Dobbs' mobility, but those are throws Dormady consistently makes, and we still have Hurd and Kamara to run. Also, if Dobbs does not dramatically improve in this regard, he will NOT be our starter next season. Both OK and FL figured out that as long as they key their entire defense on Hurd, they limit us only to Dobbs running ability, and they have guessed (correctly) that he cannot consistently provide the production throughout the game required to win on his legs alone.

The crazy part is that even though the entire defense is cued in on him, Hurd still has run for over 100 yards on both defenses. He is an animal, and for all the people who doubted his speed entering the season, you must only look as far as the multiple outside runs against even the likes of OK and FL where he outran the entire defense to the edge and turned it upfield for 8-15 yard gains before the safeties finally got to him with the angles.

End rant, I will continue to support this Vol team for the season. We all have something that we can be proud of: for the first time in 7 years, the Tennessee Volunteers finally have a pulse. Take some blood pressure meds or some Xanex before the games if you have to, because what you will witness this season will be both as beautiful as it will be ugly in equal measures in every game we play. Save your frustrations and judgments for the end of the season and let's see where the team, and specifically the coaches are at when the year is at it's end. I know one thing is for sure, and something I will take pride in this season: every team we play this year will know that, win or lose, they have been in a dogfight with the TENNESSEE VOLUNTEERS!

GO VOLS!

Edit: I will support the team and coaches for the year, but I do not have confidence in these coaches until they learn their lesson on how to close games.

Last edited:
Reactions: 7 people
Why were we in cover 3 on a team that can't push the ball down the field?

Cam wasn't hitting like usual. Wasn't into it out there for real.

Exactly. We wanted to keep them from hitting big plays but we made it easier on a lame qb to just keep throwing to open zones less than 10 yards.

I heard that Cam tweaked his shoulder early in the game, maybe that's why he wasn't pressing as much? Your guess is as good as mine

I think we may look back in a couple of years and see that this was a turning point in Butch's career here at UT. I think it will either spiral downward from here or cause him to reevaluate everything and change things up. Based on his comments after the game, I'm not sure he's learned anything.

I think we may look back in a couple of years and see that this was a turning point in Butch's career here at UT. I think it will either spiral downward from here or cause him to reevaluate everything and change things up. Based on his comments after the game, I'm not sure he's learned anything.

"Each individual has an individual process that we individually evaluate from an analytics standpoint and it's the over all mindset of our program that we have from the 102,455 to myself........ Blah blah blah

rohui.jpg

Most accurate post I have seen.

Agreed on your last point. He refuses to take any responsibility. The extra point wasn't his fault, it was the chart's fault. His system is flawless. We're young. It's a process. Etc. etc.

It's amazing how the names on the back of the jerseys change, the coaching staff changes, and yet our fall Saturdays are the one constant. We seem to be the only team who can't get someone competent coaching here for at least a little while. I mean, at least Arkansas had some good years with Petrino before his motorcycle incident. Auburn is on a slide but they just won an SEC title two years ago and a national title with Gene freakin Chizik a few years before that. Florida struggled with Muschamp but still managed an 11-win Sugar Bowl season.

We, on the other hand, invent ways to lose every week. It's just so draining. Why can't we just once fall backwards into a coach who can actually do something on Saturdays?

Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back