Recruiting Forum: Football Talk II

Status
Not open for further replies.
I shudder to think just how many points the other teams could score on the D without AJ. Yet, he hasn't been much help on the blitz or in the passing lanes.

I shudder to think just how many points the other teams could score on the D without AJ. Yet, he hasn't been much help on the blitz or in the passing lanes.

The problem is we don't have any more AJ's. Maggitt is hurt, and Lathers has been somewhat disappointing.

We all know about J. Smith's problems.

He's a grabber when with his size he should be hitting and hurting people. Hard to force turnovers just grabbing people. You also don't intimidate everybody by body slamming a guy. You go stick your facemask to his and have a talk. I don't know why you wrote all this stuff in response to me saying he needs to start sticking people. It's the truth. We need an intimidator on defense. And he looks like a good candidate. All good defenses have more than one. Hell I'm asking for one period.

Bold = From "We knew implementing a new "D"..." down I was addressing not just the one but several previous posts. We're all in this together. :)

From one (D) player to another, W-I-T...whatever-it-takes to make the play. If you don't have a direct shot (to lay him out) then you grab, pull, or push his arse dn. and, if able, strip the 'ball in the process. It's not always pretty but it's better than not trying or "wiffin" on the play.

As for hitting & intimidating---each player has their own way, for you, BB, it's get up in their grill and talk shxt, me...I was never one for trash talkin', more the quiet type, lay wood then cold-stare---lettin' 'em know there's more pain coming. AJ likes to body-slam, maybe he's a closet WWF fan. :p

Who's our "D" intimidator? From a standpoint of creating havoc it was Maggitt before his injury. From a physical standpoint AJ, Brain (when healthy), LaDarrell, and Kenny (when healthy) have potential. Having been a safety and as everyone knows (I've been pretty clear :) ) I like LaDarrell's gm, he's my assassin or as you say intimidator.

Reactions: 2 people
This is how all our defensive players should be. They should play for each other, feed off of each other plays, and some of these older guys need to step up and be leaders. They need to teach the younger guys.

We don't have much senior leadership in the 2 deep. Lathers has done a good job as mentor and field general. IMO.

AJ has picked up right where he left off his freshman yr when he was voted 1st Team FR AA.

Jack and Will are the "semi-designated" pass rushers. Sam may get a few calls, Mike blitz isn't called that often but on those occasions AJ's been fairly effective with pressure (4-QBH), and in his lanes. The team as a whole is lacking in sacks.

The program did not get into the shape that it has been in by accident nor did it get that way quickly. Think about it. Why did the program get into this position. Dooley is not the nor has been the person that caused this. Like it or not, all that he has done is lead the complete rebuilding of the UT football program from the ground up.

People bellyaching and saying that we have a proud history and rich tradition are not going to make the program better just because of that. There has been a lot of pain, but there always is, when you have to start over from the ground up and build anything.

Well said. Unfortunately for some, they cannot grasp this concept.

GO VOLS!!!!!
Posted via VolNation Mobile

Reactions: 1 person
Bold = From "We knew implementing a new "D"..." down I was addressing not just the one but several previous posts. We're all in this together. :)

From one (D) player to another, W-I-T...whatever-it-takes to make the play. If you don't have a direct shot (to lay him out) then you grab, pull, or push his arse dn. and, if able, strip the 'ball in the process. It's not always pretty but it's better than not trying or "wiffin" on the play.

As for hitting & intimidating---each player has their own way, for you, BB, it's get up in their grill and talk shxt, me...I was never one for trash talkin', more the quiet type, lay wood then cold-stare---lettin' 'em know there's more pain coming. AJ likes to body-slam, maybe he's a closet WWF fan. :p

Who's our "D" intimidator? From a standpoint of creating havoc it was Maggitt before his injury. From a physical standpoint AJ, Brain (when healthy), LaDarrell, and Kenny (when healthy) have potential. Having been a safety and as everyone knows (I've been pretty clear :) ) I like LaDarrell's gm, he's my assassin or as you say intimidator.

No I'm a hard hitting CB. That's how I intimidate. Talking is extra added on. I loved being in run support it's easier than coverage. AJ needs to hit people period. That's how you tackle as a LB. Body slamming is pee wee league tackling. Coleman tackles better than any other DB we have right now. He talks a big game so now he needs to back it up by coming downhill on some RBs.

Dooley was the recruiting coordinator/tight end coach/running back coach/special teams coach for the second coming of Bryant/Neyland at LSU. The second coming of Bryant/Neyland thought enough of him to bring him along to his Miami staff. He left to become both the head coach and AD of an abimsal program. Turned the whole program around. Took over a job at UT that nobody wanted. The job and roster was way worse than anyone ever wants to admit. Despite those difficulties, he had us virtually tied at the half (before lack of depth and talent took over the second half) with Oregon (13-13), Bama (13-10), UF (7-3), USC (10-10), and was a substitution mistake away from beating LSU in Baton Rouge.

The next season, Dooley looses his four best players; Bray, Hunter, Jackson, Lathers.

Now to this season. We have been in position to win every game. We dominated UF for three quarters. No body has done that to UF this season. We had a chance to win UGA and MSU. Players simply didn't make the plays they needed to make despite being in position. Add insult to injury, most of these blown plays were by our NFL-caliber players. There is only so much a coaching staff can do. The crazy thing about this season thus far is the fact that we are only a few plays from being undefeated.

Through all of this, the coaching staff has been able to reel in great classes considering our record and instate talent level. Furthermore, we are suppose to have another great class coming in despite our 3-3 start (according to those in the know around here).

Be patient guys; we have a good coach in front of us. Don't let your frustrations of the last decade dupe you into an irrational, emotional knee-jerk reaction.

This post is 100% correct. The scenarios facing Dooley were unreal.

The only thing I have to add is more attention to the quoted post.
Posted via VolNation Mobile

No I'm a hard hitting CB. That's how I intimidate. Talking is extra added on. I loved being in run support it's easier than coverage. AJ needs to hit people period. That's how you tackle as a LB. Body slamming is pee wee league tackling. Coleman tackles better than any other DB we have right now. He talks a big game so now he needs to back it up by coming downhill on some RBs.

For me it was coming up for the run and across the middle---before forearm shivers and leading with the head were illegal.

AJ hits and he's the least of my worries at LB---body slamming or not.

Like Coleman, had a good outing against MSU (9 T & 2 PD) as did McNeil (8 T) and Moore (10 T) but that dropped INT hurt.
Randolph (when he returns) and McNeil are solid and more physical. Both have good instincts and tackle well. Randolph was a play maker. McNeil is fast becoming one---love his speed at the point of attack.

We don't have much senior leadership in the 2 deep. Lathers has done a good job as mentor and field general. IMO.

Iirc coming into the season this is what everyone said was his main role this yr. Wish he was the total package like we've had in the past but isn't especially with him being so prone to injury.

Just saw where bammer has scored 33+ points in six straight games. They've never done it seven consecutive times. Do they score 33+ tonight?

I am interested to see our WRs vs their secondays.

Their biggest edge the past years was theyve had GREAT Dbs, so they bring all these exotic blitzes..

(Mark Barron,Dequan Menzey,Dre Kirkpatric, Kareem Jackson) all those guys could hold up in coverage during those blitzes..

If we can pick up these blitzes and give bray some time, I like our chances of being able to hit big plays and having a chance late in this game

Just saw where bammer has scored 33+ points in six straight games. They've never done it seven consecutive times. Do they score 33+ tonight?

Probably but I can care less about bammer personal streaks as long as we score 1 more by the end of the game.

GBO!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back