Recruiting Forum: Football Talk

Status
Not open for further replies.
Problem is if we do win you'll have the high expectations crowd come out and put the USCjr game as the new test yadda yadda yadda.

He's going to get that as long as he's here. Any coach would. UT has a tremendous history of winning and has the money and fan support to continue it. If he beats the Bubbas and wins out he will probably get another year to prove he has truly turned the corner.

I doubt you'll hear much complaining if it happens. I think most are begging the guy to win. Just haven't seen a lot to get confident about.

Sorry, I disagree. On this website, I would guess:

40% Dooley must go regardless
50% Dooley needs to prove one way or the other
10%. Dooley is absolutely the man

That first 40 cannot change their opinion, thus will complain if he stays, even if we would win out

At some point today Lawson has told the coaches he will be here tomorrow and bringing Liner with him. This is the 3rd time saying the same thing, hopefully they make it up this time.

Reactions: 6 people

That first 40 cannot change their opinion, thus will complain if he stays, even if we would win out

This^^^^. It's naive to think that cdd has 100% support win or lose right now. People will put it on some kind of fluk or luck yadda yadda yadda.

Imo The winning tradition line gets so tiresome cause that's where all the high expectations come from. People need to have realistic expectations based on our current situation not high expectations based on our history.

Reactions: 4 people

I know it seems like that. I think I understand both sides of the argument. It's just hard for some to stay positive when there hasn't been much to be positive about. This site was remarkably upbeat before the UF game.

At some point today Lawson has told the coaches he will be here tomorrow and bringing Liner with him. This is the 3rd time saying the same thing, hopefully they make it up this time.

Nice! Let's hope he/they do. Skeet what were the reasons why he didn't before? Friday night game issues, auburn calling them with pressure not to, etc? Has he said before that he was coming up with Liner? I ask this because that will help IMO cause I'm sure coming up with a friend that wants to go helps to push him to follow through.

This^^^^. It's naive to think that cdd has 100% support win or lose right now. People will put it on some kind of fluk or luck yadda yadda yadda.

Imo The winning tradition line gets so tiresome cause that's where all the high expectations come from. People need to have realistic expectations based on our current situation not high expectations based on our history.

With the money this university spends and the level of our facilities we should never have the stretch of poor play we've had the past4-5 years. Tiresome or not.

Reactions: 1 person
With the money this university spends and the level of our facilities we should never have the stretch of poor play we've had the past4-5 years. Tiresome or not.
The program did not get into the shape that it has been in by accident nor did it get that way quickly. Think about it. Why did the program get into this position. Dooley is not the nor has been the person that caused this. Like it or not, all that he has done is lead the complete rebuilding of the UT football program from the ground up.

People bellyaching and saying that we have a proud history and rich tradition are not going to make the program better just because of that. There has been a lot of pain, but there always is, when you have to start over from the ground up and build anything.

Reactions: 2 people

Sad, but I see our chances with Lawson disappear if CDD is let go. I don't see someone like Gruden keeping Sal, which is who Lawson wants to play for.

The program did not get into the shape that it has been in by accident nor did it get that way quickly. Think about it. Why did the program get into this position. Dooley is not the nor has been the person that caused this. Like it or not, all that he has done is lead the complete rebuilding of the UT football program from the ground up.

People bellyaching and saying that we have a proud history and rich tradition are not going to make the program better just because of that. There has been a lot of pain, but there always is, when you have to start over from the ground up and build anything.
You don't think history matters? I don't think Dooley necessarily put us there. But I don't think it was a complete rebuild either. He had his way of going about things and he's going to have to deal with how it has affected the fan base. People are judged on results. His results have been poor. You can't argue that. I'd love to see him win out and stick around. I just have little confidence he can.

Sad, but I see our chances with Lawson disappear if CDD is let go. I don't see someone like Gruden keeping Sal, which is who Lawson wants to play for.

I disagree. You can't say our chances would disappear with Lawson since you have no idea who would be on the defensive staff. Also, if Lawson wants to play for Sal so bad why isn't he already committed?

I think IF we got Gruden he would bring a top notch DC with him & we would instantly be in on as many big time recruits as we are now plus a lot more that aren't even looking our way right now.

Dooley & Co have been solid in recruiting but I think a Gruden type hire with a good DC would push recruiting to the next level.

You don't think history matters? I don't think Dooley necessarily put us there. But I don't think it was a complete rebuild either. He had his way of going about things and he's going to have to deal with how it has affected the fan base. People are judged on results. His results have been poor. You can't argue that. I'd love to see him win out and stick around. I just have little confidence he can.

Can you please explain this line further? The team Dooley left at LA Tech had more talent than the team Dooley inherited when he took over.

Reactions: 3 people
I've got a hypothetical question for everyone. What if Gruden agreed in principal with Hart to be the next coach at UT behind the scenes? Would you say no I'm keeping Dooley or make the move? I'm not pushing any agenda here, just curious where everyone stands...

If you get the option for a HR hire you do it, I support Dooley and hope he is successful here or wherever he goes next ;however, I also believe there a only a few coaches that wouldn't be replaced if Gruden or any other Super Bowl winning coach wanted the HC job at said school.

Not a complete rebuilding of the program?????

Here is a look at the upperclassmen in the Vols 2 deep during Dooley's career at UT.

2010 Vols
Seniors = 13
Juniors = 6

2011 Vols
Seniors = 4
Juniors = 8

2012 Vols
Seniors = 6
Juniors = 20

Reactions: 2 people
Thursday, October 18 2012
Would the Browns look to hire Jon Gruden as next coach?

With the news that forthcoming Browns owner Jimmy Haslam was approved to actually own the team and with the report that Cleveland general manager Tom Heckert is telling those close to him that he's worried for his job, it only makes sense that coach Pat Shurmur's employment status could be in real trouble too.
The name you keep hearing in circles and rumors is Jon Gruden,” Prisco said on CBSSports.com's Pro Football 360 (video below). “Haslam is a Tennessee guy and at one point, he was linked to Gruden trying to get him to come to Tennessee. That's a guy to keep an eye on.”

Although there have been plenty of Gruden mentions whenever a coaching job opens -- and don't expect that to change this offseason -- he's also he's happy at ESPN.

- Josh Katzowitz, CBS Sports

Complete article...
Would the Browns look to hire Jon Gruden as next coach? - CBSSports.com

I disagree. You can't say our chances would disappear with Lawson since you have no idea who would be on the defensive staff. Also, if Lawson wants to play for Sal so bad why isn't he already committed?

I think IF we got Gruden he would bring a top notch DC with him & we would instantly be in on as many big time recruits as we are now plus a lot more that aren't even looking our way right now.

Dooley & Co have been solid in recruiting but I think a Gruden type hire with a good DC would push recruiting to the next level.

The DC Gruden would bring in wouldn't be the deciding factor. Sal is an elite LB coach. He would be the one coaching Lawson. Lawson fits the pass-rushing LB role perfectly. Moreover, the only reason UT is still in it with Lawson is because of Sal. Your position coach and main recruiter are HUGE deals when recruiting a player.

Just because Gruden a hot-shot name and he might bring in a experienced big-name DC doesn't mean anything in Lawson's recruitment. Auburn is terrible shape, and Lawson is listening to more schools than just UT.

Of the schools that Lawson has mentioned, I believe we're the only one running a 3-4. I truly believe he sticks with the Barn but we're running in 2nd place. JMO.

Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back