Recruiting Forum: Football Talk

Status
Not open for further replies.
I wouldn't be so sure, Lynx. I want Dooley to succeed just as much as you and every other Vol fan but CDD is coaching for his life the next two weeks and if he doesn't win one of them he's likely gone after the USCjr game, IMO.

This just posted from Hubbs on whether Hart might replace Dooley...

I know many in here aren't huge belivers in the Gruden talk but I've been following that thread and there's a lot of smoke out there. Gruden may turn down the job but I have no doubts he's been contacted and is interested. And I think that's what Hubbs is referring to. Hart isn't going to fire CDD w/o a replacement already on the hook and he's certainly not going to replace him with a mediocre hire. I like CDD a lot and I hope we kick Bama and USCjr's asses the next two games but if that doesn't happen...

I hope our AD doesn't truly have those thoughts. There's no way he can expect a win from these two games. The story hasn't changed for me, and from what I was told, Dooley won't be going anywhere, and the buy-out money is a major reason. On the other hand, if he loses to Vandy or Missouri, teams we should clearly expect to beat, then the story changes drastically. If the coaches can't utilize the talent to defeat a team that is clearly less talented, then there's an issue you just can't avoid. I would expect any coach to be let go.

At any rate, Dooley will always have my respect. Maybe he took the big job too soon. But, he turned this program around in a huge way. I'm the type of person that cares about the image of the program just as much as I do about winning.

Reactions: 8 people
You're funny I'm being negative in what way? I said what do you want him to endorse. I'm not going to lie to myself and say he needs to endorse a coach that hasn't won games he should win. But where have I said fire Dooley? Where have I posted we'll lose Saturday? Oh okay you can go sit down now.

Lol. You can get over the MSU loss now. But what games should we have won? I think that every factor considered, it's a little silly to expect wins out of UF and UGA. MSU is arguable. I'll judge that game at the end of the season.

Hubbs made the point in the war room that the buyout money means nothing in this decision. Whether it's 5 or 4 million spread over 36 months will not be relevant. Haslem visited practice yesterday. I'm thinking Hubbs heard something....

I hope our AD doesn't truly have those thoughts. There's no way he can expect a win from these two games. The story hasn't changed for me, and from what I was told, Dooley won't be going anywhere, and the buy-out money is a major reason. On the other hand, if he loses to Vandy or Missouri, teams we should clearly expect to beat, then the story changes drastically. If the coaches can't utilize the talent to defeat a team that is clearly less talented, then there's an issue you just can't avoid. I would expect any coach to be let go.

At any rate, Dooley will always have my respect. Maybe he took the big job too soon. But, he turned this program around in a huge way. I'm the type of person that cares about the image of the program just as much as I do about winning.

Hubbs said last night buyout $ is not an issue.

Reactions: 1 person
He said it perfectly, IMO

Translation from Hart:

"No idiot fan calling for heads, understands where this program was at. Even I was surprised. I see everything that is going on, you jokers see Saturdays and make up rumors. No one wants to win more than me. and I will analyze and consider all of the options to get us there, not flip out after a loss and react."

IMO

Reactions: 3 people
Translation from Hart:

"No idiot fan calling for heads, understands where this program was at. Even I was surprised. I see everything that is going on, you jokers see Saturdays and make up rumors. No one wants to win more than me. and I will analyze and consider all of the options to get us there, not flip out after a loss and react."

IMO

That's probably all true. But, don't you think he could've calmed all this down somewhat by saying, "I have complete confidence that Derek will succeed"?

I've got a hypothetical question for everyone. What if Gruden agreed in principal with Hart to be the next coach at UT behind the scenes? Would you say no I'm keeping Dooley or make the move? I'm not pushing any agenda here, just curious where everyone stands...

Very well stated and I agree. He is absolutely deserving of the respect of this fanbase. He has the respect of his players. I'll be pulling for him no matter what happens.

Reactions: 2 people
That's probably all true. But, don't you think he could've calmed all this down somewhat by saying, "I have complete confidence that Derek will succeed"?

He's had no problem stating that in the past. He said he was backing Dooley in the interview he did with VQ during the off season. Now he's not openly saying that. I really don't know what is going to happen.

I've got a hypothetical question for everyone. What if Gruden agreed in principal with Hart to be the next coach at UT behind the scenes? Would you say no I'm keeping Dooley or make the move? I'm not pushing any agenda here, just curious where everyone stands...

I support Dooley 100% until the day he is fired. When someone else is hired, I'm going to be 100% behind them.

Reactions: 6 people

No hesitation I'd make the move.

Hubbs made the point in the war room that the buyout money means nothing in this decision. Whether it's 5 or 4 million spread over 36 months will not be relevant. Haslem visited practice yesterday. I'm thinking Hubbs heard something....

Right and Fulmer's $120k/mo buyout ends this year. So if they bought out Dooley it would be $138k/mo for 3 years.

I'm one of the biggest CDD fans on this board and I'll be very sad to see him go but if Gruden wants the job Hart isn't saying no. He's just not. Dooley deserves a ton of credit for rebuilding the roster, program image, VFL program and everything else he's done in his time at UT. But if he doesn't pull off a huge upset this weekend or next I believe he might be gone. I'm certainly not advocating for that to happen but it just seems to be the case. I will always appreciate everything he did for UT and wish him the best wherever he ends up if he's let go.

Hopefully we beat Bama AND USCjr and Dooley gets that extension and closes strong with this recruiting class, I'm certainly rooting for him. JMO

I would assume every true TN fan backs this team, players and coaches regardless. I'm just curious if you're the AD what do you do?

I disagree that every true Tennessee fan supports this team fully, but that's JMO.

To answer your question though, I would reserve judgement for the end of the season, but if Dooley loses three more games, I'd probably make the change.

Reactions: 2 people
On a sidenote: If a coaching change is inevitable in the next two years, I hope it happens this year instead of next. I would hate for our staff to blow up in the midst of recruiting several big time Vol legacies.

On a sidenote: If a coaching change is inevitable in the next two years, I hope it happens this year instead of next. I would hate for our staff to blow up in the midst of recruiting several big time Vol legacies.

Overlooked in the discussion. This is a great point.

Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back