Recruiting Forum: Football Talk II

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nice article today on AJ.

Some quotes...

"Truthfully, I didn't know a lot about Tennessee when I was growing up. But, after UT offered me, I started looking around and seeing Power Ts everywhere," Johnson recalled. "That really opened my eyes and made me see what I had been missing." Ranked as a consensus four-star recruit and one of the nation's most promising prospects, Johnson had his pick of practically every prominent football program in the NCAA. And while he found inquiries from Clemson, Florida and Alabama appealing enough to take on-campus visits, Johnson's appreciation for Tennessee's early offer ultimately made his signing day decision easy.

"Every time that I step on the football field, I try to be the most reckless and physical player out there," said UT's 6-foot-2, 240-pound middle linebacker. "I just love hitting people. To me, there's no better feeling than picking up a running back and dumping him on his head."

"I can remember doing angle tackling drills at camp, and I hit a guy so hard that I broke his ribs," Johnson recalled. "That moment sort of took me by surprise. You never feel good about hurting a guy, but that's when I realized that my physicality was something special."

"Looking back, I'm glad that Tennessee chose me, and that I chose Tennessee. UT began recruiting me early on in the process and it turned out to be a perfect fit. If I could, I would pick the Vols all over again. I've made a lot of memories and had a lot of fun being a Volunteer. In the end, I'm just glad that the coaches hit me up."

Making Contact - UTSPORTS.COM - University of Tennessee Athletics

Great quotes!

Reactions: 1 person

"Every time that I step on the football field, I try to be the most reckless and physical player out there," said UT's 6-foot-2, 240-pound middle linebacker. "I just love hitting people. To me, there's no better feeling than picking up a running back and dumping him on his head."

This is how all our defensive players should be. They should play for each other, feed off of each other plays, and some of these older guys need to step up and be leaders. They need to teach the younger guys.

This is how all our defensive players should be. They should play for each other, feed off of each other plays, and some of these older guys need to step up and be leaders. They need to teach the younger guys.

Exactly! And this is something that we are going to finally have come next yr. Plenty of Upperclassman that love UT and can take the young guys under thier wings.

He better be careful if he dumps some one on his head...CDD is gonna make him write him an apology letter. :p

IMO, it's hard to compare the two because of types of equations, so to speak, that they are being forced to solve. Whereas Bray is attempting to do Differential Equations, most of the time, McCarron is performing Algebra.

Because of their defense, offensive line & running game many of the other variables are eliminated.

I see what your saying. But don't know the inner workings of McCarrons work ethic over the yrs to know that he just isnt making it look easy.

I see what your saying. But don't know the inner workings of McCarrons work ethic over the yrs to know that he just isnt making it look easy.

McCaron has always been overrated. He will blow the game if we hit him. Sal needs to run the gameplan from the Bama game. Players just need to make plays. McCarron getting hit like Driskel will be the end of it for Bama. He'll quit he was like that in high school.

Some quotes...

"Truthfully, I didn't know a lot about Tennessee when I was growing up. But, after UT offered me, I started looking around and seeing Power Ts everywhere," Johnson recalled. "That really opened my eyes and made me see what I had been missing." Ranked as a consensus four-star recruit and one of the nation's most promising prospects, Johnson had his pick of practically every prominent football program in the NCAA. And while he found inquiries from Clemson, Florida and Alabama appealing enough to take on-campus visits, Johnson's appreciation for Tennessee's early offer ultimately made his signing day decision easy.

"I can remember doing angle tackling drills at camp, and I hit a guy so hard that I broke his ribs," Johnson recalled. "That moment sort of took me by surprise. You never feel good about hurting a guy, but that's when I realized that my physicality was something special."

"Looking back, I'm glad that Tennessee chose me, and that I chose Tennessee. UT began recruiting me early on in the process and it turned out to be a perfect fit. If I could, I would pick the Vols all over again. I've made a lot of memories and had a lot of fun being a Volunteer. In the end, I'm just glad that the coaches hit me up."

Making Contact - UTSPORTS.COM - University of Tennessee Athletics

He needs to start back hitting like he did in the angle drills. AJ needs to stop with all this body slamming BS and putting his helmet on these RBs.

He needs to start back hitting like he did in the angle drills. AJ needs to stop with all this body slamming BS and putting his helmet on these RBs.

Seriously man how many times has he done that? Once against Florida and once against Georgia?

Exactly what "bs" is he doing?

McCaron has always been overrated. He will blow the game if we hit him. Sal needs to run the gameplan from the Bama game. Players just need to make plays. McCarron getting hit like Driskel will be the end of it for Bama. He'll quit he was like that in high school.

Oh ok. Like I said I don't know much about him other than his ability to handle the task he's suppose to. Glad to hear he gets raddled so easily hopefully we can get to him. Unfortunately his RBs are really good and not as easily raddled. They only pass 38% of the time iirc.

AJ leads our "D" in tackles = 63 (22 solo). Has he missed some that he should not have? Sure, but so have play makers for LSU, UA, UF, UGA, ...

Can AJ and the team as a whole play better? Absolutely.

We knew that a implementing a new "D" system was going to set us back during it's transition. It happened last yr at UGA but this yr they're playing much more cohesively. The biggest areas of difference between us and '11 UGA, we are lacking in Senior depth/leadership at skilled positions, talent, and are relying too much on youth/inexperience. The positive = we have few Seniors, plenty of youth/underclassmen, and the talent is improving with each class.

I/we feel your frustration, BB. We all had high expectations---too high, looking back. IMO. We've played well (all things considered and w/out going into detail) two (UGA and UF) very good teams. Yes, losing to MSU was tough to swallow but nevertheless they were/are undefeated and ranked. Interested to see how & where they finish the season.

We hold the cards we've been dealt. Let's see how it plays out.

No better way to overcome those three losses than to take out our frustrations on 'Bama...

Let's :flush: the tide!!!

Reactions: 3 people
I'm not sure how it is clear he just needs time. I'm not saying he can't be successful. I just don't see how it is clear we are so close to being back to what we are used too.

This all the way. Offense is elite in my book! And defense has new coach, new scheme. If the defense was able to create atleast an extra 3 and out or two, against these teams then we would see alot of wins this year. That's how close we are! Top teams have beat us on average by a damn touchdown. It's close, have to be blind to not see it.

Reactions: 2 people
This all the way. Offense is elite in my book! And defense has new coach, new scheme. If the defense was able to create atleast an extra 3 and out or two, against these teams then we would see alot of wins this year. That's how close we are! Top teams have beat us on average by a damn touchdown. It's close, have to be blind to not see it.

Maybe we should shut our eyes and it would become more clear because my 20/20 vision is not seeing the defense being close at all.

AJ leads our "D" in tackles = 63 (22 solo). Has he missed some that he should not have? Sure, but so have play makers for LSU, UA, UF, UGA, ...

Can AJ and the team as a whole play better? Absolutely.

We knew that a implementing a new "D" system was going to set us back during it's transition. It happened last yr at UGA but this yr they're playing much more cohesively. The biggest areas of difference between us and '11 UGA, we are lacking in Senior depth/leadership at skilled positions, talent, and are relying too much on youth/inexperience. The positive = we have few Seniors, plenty of youth/underclassmen, and the talent is improving with each class.

I/we feel your frustration, BB. We all had high expectations---too high, looking back. IMO. We've played well (all things considered and w/out going into detail) two (UGA and UF) very good teams. Yes, losing to MSU was tough to swallow but nevertheless they were/are undefeated and ranked. Interested to see how & where they finish the season.

We hold the cards we've been dealt. Let's see how it plays out.

No better way to overcome those three losses than to take out our frustrations on 'Bama...

Let's :flush: the tide!!!

He's a grabber when with his size he should be hitting and hurting people. Hard to force turnovers just grabbing people. You also don't intimidate everybody by body slamming a guy. You go stick your facemask to his and have a talk. I don't know why you wrote all this stuff in response to me saying he needs to start sticking people. It's the truth. We need an intimidator on defense. And he looks like a good candidate. All good defenses have more than one. Hell I'm asking for one period.

[/B]

Maybe we should shut our eyes and it would become more clear because my 20/20 vision is not seeing the defense being close at all.

I'm not saying the defense itself is very close, just the overall. Defense needs help I know, but it's a recruiting class of nice depth away! Close your eyes if you like.

I'm not saying the defense itself is very close, just the overall. Defense needs help I know, but it's a recruiting class of nice depth away! Close your eyes if you like.

We need true playmakers on the defense. Guys that Offenses fear. We don't have that right now. Coleman played well last week and Miss. State stopped going at him. No offense respects our defense right now. The truth is the truth. I hope we can get a playmaker on defense in this class. Because our best guy who is a playmaker is Maggitt and he's been hurt since Week 1.

We need true playmakers on the defense. Guys that Offenses fear. We don't have that right now. Coleman played well last week and Miss. State stopped going at him. No offense respects our defense right now. The truth is the truth. I hope we can get a playmaker on defense in this class. Because our best guy who is a playmaker is Maggitt and he's been hurt since Week 1.
I agree.

Should have added another highlight vs UF. He had a drop that would have been 6. Great player though. I hope UT finds ways to get him the ball tomorrow.

Not my video he had a drop versus UGA too. The guy left the reverse against Miss. State out which was CP's most impressive play........

Hey, does anyone know if DD will be on the field tomorrow night, or will he still be in the box?

Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back