Recruiting Football Talk VII

I could hit a major league pitch by pure luck more often than I could ever complete a pass as an NFL qb or score a goal in La Liga.

Better yet...winning a race in any olympic sport. The average person would never ever ever ever ever ever be capable. Ever. Hitting a ball is doable though...hell just bunt it.

Not saying it isn't tough, but the "hardest thing to do in sports" not even close. Hell, let's see anyone do a 1080 on a halfpipe.....or even get up the halfpipe 😅
Bunting successfully is not “hitting” the baseball. And if you stood it in the box 100 times vs Glasnow, and swung 100 times - you would miss… 100 times.

Our pitching makes me a little nervous. . . not that I know much about it, but seems people are always whining about our pitching this season. . . probably bad logic for me to make an opinion based off us cry-babies throwing a fit during games. . .
I don't get it either..our pitching is not horrid, but it's not elite either. I think newer fans compare it to our staff a couple of years ago and think that was "normal"...nothing about that team was normal.

That team was one of the best ever...it sucks that people do not realize that fact, simply because baseball is a fickle hellish ***ch sometimes and weird things like that team NOT winning the CWS happens.

Bunting successfully is not “hitting” the baseball. And if you stood it in the box 100 times vs Glasnow, and swung 100 times - you would miss… 100 times.
And you could swing a golf club 100 times and never hit a hole in one. If you were a QB in the NFL, you wouldn’t be able to throw a TD with those defenders.

Reactions: Devo182
We really debating over golf being a "game" or a "sport"? It's both. So is Baseball, Football, etc.

Now, is bass fishing a sport? I LOVE fishing but every time I see a Facebook profile of a pro bass fisherman and it lists them as an Athlete...I can't help but chuckle.
All sports are games.

Not all games are sports.

Affirming the consequent.

Last edited:
I could hit a major league pitch by pure luck more often than I could ever complete a pass as an NFL qb or score a goal in La Liga.

Better yet...winning a race in any olympic sport. The average person would never ever ever ever ever ever be capable. Ever. Hitting a ball is doable though...hell just bunt it.

Not saying it isn't tough, but the "hardest thing to do in sports" not even close. Hell, let's see anyone do a 1080 on a halfpipe.....or even get up the halfpipe 😅
Why couldn’t you complete a pass as an NFL qb? Wouldn’t scoring a goal or winning a race be more akin to hitting a homerun than making contact?

People just want to win. If folks don't use common sense (aka finally using their god given brains to utilize basic statistics) then you will eventually get left behind.

Just like football. Things like 2 yards and a cloud of dust and FBs are dead.

The only way to adjust it out is rule changes, if folks don't want it.

Looking back, the no huddle uptempo offense seems like a no brainer. Now opposing coaches are trying to slow it down...not fans though 🤔
Nothing wrong with being a power hitting team, there has ALWAYS been power hitting teams...but knowing how to manufacture a run on a day when the wind is blowing in or you are facing a unhittable pitcher should be on EVERY teams menu.

I don't get it either..our pitching is not horrid, but it's not elite either. I think newer fans compare it to our staff a couple of years ago and think that was "normal"...nothing about that team was normal.

That team was one of the best ever...it sucks that people do not realize that fact, simply because baseball is a fickle hellish ***ch sometimes and weird things like that team NOT winning the CWS happens.
Exactly. Top two or three team college baseball team in history IMO. The CWS is fun, but does not necessarily produce the best overall team as NC. MS State and Ole Miss winning it in 2021 and 2022 clearly proves the point IMO.

Reactions: Volunteer821
And you could swing a golf club 100 times and never hit a hole in one. If you were a QB in the NFL, you wouldn’t be able to throw a TD with those defenders.
Hitting a hole in one is an incredibly rare event - even for professionals.

But average Joe could hit the golf ball, maybe even down the fairway 1 out of 5 times.

Average Joe cannot swing the bat and hit major league pitching. That’s just not happening.

IMG_8826.gif

I hit 90 while in high school. Even if I put the ball in play 1 in 200 times, that sure beats the number of times I could do a 1080 off a halfpipe. That is 1 in never.

Or scoring a goal in La Liga...0.000000%.

You could just swing slowly, giving the bat maximum time in the ball's trajectory...you'd hit by luck once in a bluemoon.

Hell, the pros hit the ball 80%+ of at-bats excluding walks and tips...let's not act like it's some unthinkable act geez

I don't think he'd be nearly as successful today. In his day, athletes weren't playing baseball. It was closer to high school today than MLB today.

I do consider bat speed, strength, hand eye coordination part of athleticism though. I don't consider baseball players (or wrestlers, or gymnasts, etc...) less of an athlete because they're slow and have terrible 40 times. Just different kind of athleticism.
Get outta here with that. Closer to HS baseball? Recency bias is a thing. If he were born in this era, he would no doubt succeed. He would adapt as any elite player in any sport would in any era.

Why couldn’t you complete a pass as an NFL qb? Wouldn’t scoring a goal or winning a race be more akin to hitting a homerun than making contact?
Then hitting a homerun should be your goalpost.

The OP said merely hitting a ball was the hardest thing in sports

I chortled at work. Love it. 😂 😂 😂 😂
This is what I'm picturing.

giphy.gif

VN Store

Back