Recruiting Football Talk VII

Also should explain to posters why we didn’t take Ole Miss’ scorched-earth approach to the transfer portal / NIL. Sounds like we’ve played this perfectly and still brought in a top 10ish class.
Yes, the NCAA has been looking over UT's shoulder for a long time. The coaches have been very conscious of how they handle recruiting, and UT meticulously self-reports. Some of these violations are micro-nits. It would drive anyone crazy and having to navigate it distracts staffers and takes time away from more important aspects of recruiting.

Stewart Mandel doesn't seem intelligent. Basically, every school has formed a collective, and what is a collective if not basically a booster? The moment SCOTUS opened up NIL, all of the old NCAA rules became obsolete, and they did not have new rules ready to implement the change. That's on them. Schools should not be punished because the NCAA was ill-prepared for a change to the college landscape. They were caught with their pants down, and now they're trying to take their embarrassment out on us. That's not going to fly. If anything, we've operated with an abundance of caution when it comes to NIL. There have definitely been schools more egregiously skirting the boundaries of NIL, but the NCAA, for whatever reason, has decided Tennessee is the school they want to target. That's a mistake on their part. They done effed around and fixin' to find out.

Stewart Mandel doesn't seem intelligent. Basically, every school has formed a collective, and what is a collective if not basically a booster? The moment SCOTUS opened up NIL, all of the old NCAA rules became obsolete, and they did not have new rules ready to implement the change. That's on them. Schools should not be punished because the NCAA was ill-prepared for a change to the college landscape. They were caught with their pants down, and now they're trying to take their embarrassment out on us. That's not going to fly. If anything, we've operated with an abundance of caution when it comes to NIL. There have definitely been schools more egregiously skirting the boundaries of NIL, but the NCAA, for whatever reason, has decided Tennessee is the school they want to target. That's a mistake on their part. They done effed around and fixin' to find out.
He’s also missing that a huge component of all this is the monolithic, selective enforcement from the NCAA

Yes, the NCAA has been looking over UT's shoulder for a long time. The coaches have been very conscious of how they handle recruiting, and UT meticulously self-reports. Some of these violations are micro-nits. It would drive anyone crazy and having to navigate it distracts staffers and takes time away from more important aspects of recruiting.
Has there been bad blood from the NCAA going back before the Pruitt investigation? If so, do you know the root of it?

Reactions: LA Vol
Interesting how peoples mindsets differ. I don’t see this as having anything other than a positive affect on recruiting. Recruits will very publicly see that we have their backs financially (even if it is intimately self serving), that we will fight when we believe we aren’t in the wrong, and that we aren’t really willing to accept any punishment for this. We are leading the charge to see them rewarded for their talents and hard work. Even our rival fans see it. This one is way different from the last investigation and easy for our coaches to absolutely destroy negative recruiting angles from other teams. Can’t win playing scared.

It certainly can be a double edged sword. However, while we are dotting the i's and crossing the t's on every interaction, Ole Miss/Colorado/Ohio State are out here with recruits in limos/lambos/etc on insta.

macho-man-flying-elbow-drop.gif

Has there been bad blood from the NCAA going back before the Pruitt investigation? If so, do you know the root of it?
I am not @LA Vol but I think I can deduce this.

UT is a prominent program, a vocal program, a well funded program, and an active program, but we are not in the protected class.

Others include: FSU, Miami, apparently now UF, who was previously protected during Meyer's ridiculous reign.

Here is the issue that no one is talking about or doesn't realize.

I believe the plane used to fly Nico was provided to Spyre by a prominent UT booster. I think they are trying to say that a booster tied to UT can not also fund NIL or provide benefits to a collective. I may be wrong, but I think this is where it began.

But... I mean how can you say that? Wouldn't any one making a donation to a university "technically" be a booster? And that's nearly the entire collective for Spyre...fans who pay a donation to be season ticket holder would be boosters wouldn't they?

Unless it's an employee of the university OR the plane itself belongs to the university I don't see how in the hell UT did anything wrong here.

They'll be papered to death. It's harder to lead than follow. Wait until other programs decide enough is enough and follow Tennessee's lead.
I guarantee you that every major program with a decent NIL is asking if they should push in with us. Until more do they can all shut the hell up talking about how NIL needs to be fixed. You can't fix what you aren't willing to define.

But... I mean how can you say that? Wouldn't any one making a donation to a university "technically" be a booster? And that's nearly the entire collective for Spyre...fans who pay a donation to be season ticket holder would be boosters wouldn't they?

Unless it's an employee of the university OR the plane itself belongs to the university I don't see how in the hell UT did anything wrong here.
You don't have to understand:

UT recruited.
-
-
Something, something, something...
-
-
Infractions

--NCAA

It certainly can be a double edged sword. However, while we are dotting the i's and crossing the t's on every interaction, Ole Miss/Colorado/Ohio State are out here with recruits in limos/lambos/etc on insta.
Crazy right?

I think DD4me said it pretty well, we are an upper echelon program but not in that protected class, thus we are a prime target to “make an example out of”, so it appears they are doing something.

Chris Collins got ejected letting refs know about it in last few seconds of OT.

MENTIONED discrepancy in press conference..

But pounding the ball inside to Shawn Bradley's illegitimate son, Purdue will always have a big FT shooting advantage during ball games.
Yeah...but 48-6?.....that is pure 🦬💩

VN Store

Back