Recruiting Football Talk VII

Jimbo Dumbo and the TAMU AD really f'd up by not making public all the dirt on Saban (going back to Saban's first class at Bama) in response when Saban made his hypocritical rant on Jimbo buying players. That was a golden opportunity. And Sankey had opened the door by not sanctioning Saban because Birmingham corruption.

Last edited:
Cristobal had a tougher start at Oregon but he had to improve the roster. Oregon was 25th in talent composite according to 247 in Cristobal’s first year. Cristobal went 9-4 that year. His 2nd year he went 12-2 with a roster ranked 17th. Dan Lanning first year he had a roster ranked 7th and went 10-3. This year was 12-2 and had a roster ranked 10th.

So Cristobal and Lanning both hit 12-2 in their 2nd year, Cristobal did it with a slightly worse roster. I think Lanning would do well if he goes to Bama and I think he’s a good coach, heck of a recruiter, I think he’s far from a sure thing though.

Probably still one of the better, if not the best, available at the time though. Who else would could they get? I really like Deboer but I just can’t see the fit there. It ain’t Dabo. Doubt they want Kiffin towards the top of their list. Kirby ain’t coming. Feels like they will just throw whatever they have to at Lanning.

never go full Bammer.
Itisknown GIF - Itisknown - Discover & Share GIFs

This forum is just full of misery...we smoke Ole Miss and have basically a complete game.

36 pages to that thread, but bad 1st half and a tough road loss (which most regular bball fans thought could happen) and that thread is at 69 pages and counting....

I don't get it man, why do our fans only wanna show up to bitch & moan and complain about our team/coaches? Frustrates me to no end.

FAIRWEATHER FANS

I was thinking we'd probably be a 7 or 8 loss team this year...and last nights game was the 6th toughest on the schedule in SRS. I feel like we really need to go undefeated going into the game at Rupp. Bama will be a tough out, but we play them here at TBA and they don't have a big that's really dominate like we seem to struggle with.
You pointed it out yourself though.

All off season we've heard this is a FF team. We had the best odds to win the conference up until last night. Then we go out and lay a dud against a mid tier team. Are you not frustrated?

Reactions: BigOrangeTrain
This forum is just full of misery...we smoke Ole Miss and have basically a complete game.

36 pages to that thread, but bad 1st half and a tough road loss (which most regular bball fans thought could happen) and that thread is at 69 pages and counting....

I don't get it man, why do our fans only wanna show up to bitch & moan and complain about our team/coaches? Frustrates me to no end.

FAIRWEATHER FANS

I was thinking we'd probably be a 7 or 8 loss team this year...and last nights game was the 6th toughest on the schedule in SRS. I feel like we really need to go undefeated going into the game at Rupp. Bama will be a tough out, but we play them here at TBA and they don't have a big that's really dominate like we seem to struggle with.
Reflection of society today. Most people live in the negative. It makes them feel better about their problems by criticizing others.

FAIRWEATHER FANS

FAHRweather fans*

You pointed it out yourself though.

All off season we've heard this is a FF team. We had the best odds to win the conference up until last night. Then we go out and lay a dud against a mid tier team. Are you not frustrated?

I'm frustrated after every loss, but the bold is what is frustrating. Any time we lose a game that team is suddenly downplayed DESPITE beating us. Tolu Smith at full healthy is arguably the best big in the SEC and of course we get that version last night. But Mississippi State is 12-3 and Tolu has only played in 3 games. That's far from mid tier imo.

Reactions: A.Vol70 and KptVFL
I think Lanning is pretty good but he hasn’t actually done anything at Oregon.
JMO, Lanning’s resume is pretty light, especially for Bama. Success as DC at GA under Smart with an NFL defense isn’t super impressive, it’s expected. Cristobal left Oregon in a pretty good spot, and for a defensive guy, Oregon has given up a bunch of points to anyone with a pulse.

Maybe he’s great but I don’t see him as some obvious slam dunk.

I'm frustrated after every loss, but the bold is what is frustrating. Any time we lose a game that team is suddenly downplayed DESPITE beating us. Tolu Smith at full healthy is arguably the best big in the SEC and of course we get that version last night. But Mississippi State is 12-3 and Tolu has only played in 3 games. That's far from mid tier imo.
I call them mid tier because honestly what their ceiling? They probably going to finish in the 5-9 range in conference, be a 6 ish seed and maybe make the S16.

Final Polls = Bowl games should matter, we earned it on the field and Iowa didn't have many if any opt outs like FSU or other teams.

Next Year's Polls...sure I can see us being ranked lower with all we lose (both RBs, starting QB, the entire starting secondary, both TEs...). But thankfully all we have to do is "just win" and it'll take care of itself.

I call them mid tier because honestly what their ceiling? They probably going to finish in the 5-9 range in conference, be a 6 ish seed and maybe make the S16.

To be fair, can't the same be said of us? We finished 5th in conference last year got a higher seed than expected because of our strong first half of the season.

We're two games into SEC play...I don't think the story is written for any of the teams except Vandy and maybe Missouri... I think anyone else has enough talent (and time) to improve. We've played the 2nd hardest SOS thus far in the SEC (Bama is 1st) and the top 5 teams to play hard SOS in the SEC have all lost 4 or more games so far...

So based on results and SOS the 4 best teams in the SEC right now are Auburn, Mississippi State, Kentucky and Tennessee. Still an early season and State has added offense from the outside in Hubbard to go along with Tolu so they're better than last year.

VN Store

Back