Recruiting concerns?

Missouri had great coaching and a consistent system. The East has been weak for years. Plus they never win the big dance....so they are not my standard nor UTs standard for excellence.

We are the Vols. A top 10 program in the history of football.

This ain't no Mizzou.

So how about we wait until the class is finished for any gnashing of teeth?

Dobbs, Sutton, Vereen, Vickers, Jashon Robertson, Owen Williams, Wolf, Chance Hall, Kelly, and Austin Smith are all just a few reasons I trust Jones & co. on their evaluations. Therefore, I think a top 10-15 Jones class is likely >>> a top 10-15 Dooley/Kiffin class. We currently have a solid core of JUCO guys and 2 Top 100 guys. I could see a guy like Fils-Amie ending up in top 100 and we're still in the mix for 3 or 4 more top 100 guys. Some other guys like Christmas-Giles are also almost certain to get a bump in the rankings. And given Jones's recent track record in recruiting, it's even possible that a few current commits get recruited over. I won't really worry unless guys like Warrior and Dickerson or some of the current guys end up going somewhere else on signing day.

Dobbs, Sutton, Vereen, Vickers, Jashon Robertson, Owen Williams, Wolf, Chance Hall, Kelly, and Austin Smith are all just a few reasons I trust Jones & co. on their evaluations. Therefore, I think a top 10-15 Jones class is likely >>> a top 10-15 Dooley/Kiffin class. We currently have a solid core of JUCO guys and 2 Top 100 guys. I could see a guy like Fils-Amie ending up in top 100 and we're still in the mix for 3 or 4 more top 100 guys. Some other guys like Christmas-Giles are also almost certain to get a bump in the rankings. And given Jones's recent track record in recruiting, it's even possible that a few current commits get recruited over. I won't really worry unless guys like Warrior and Dickerson or some of the current guys end up going somewhere else on signing day.

Recruiting was always going to be a bit lackluster this year. In state talent is no where near the level it will be next year, and the #1 player in the nation isn't a legacy like last year. It is what it is. Next year will be a big year for recruiting just because TN has a ton of 4* talent that we are going to lock down.

The nice thing is that we don't have to be top 5 to get what we need to compete. This class needs to fill some holes at DB and WR, and have some big bodies to develop for the future.

You want me to get excited about a 2 star recruit?

I bet you weren't excited about Cam Sutton (3*) when he signed. Some of these kids go unnoticed if they haven't been to a lot of camps where they can be seen. Some coaches have a nack for finding talent.

Got to be well inside the top 10 every year to be competitive and have the talent depth to compete. Only 20 recruits this year is not a good excuse....USC used to recruit in the top 5 with only 18-20 recruits.

Star gazer...you bet. It counts in the SEC

First of all we're not USC. Southern California is one of the most fertile recruiting areas in the country and USC is the top school.

But I agree with you we should recruit top 10 every year and top 5 at least twice every 4 years to be a title contender in the SEC. Cause that's what all our rivals are doing.

Last edited:
First of all we're not USC. Southern California is one of the most fertile recruiting areas in the country and USC is the top school.

But I after with you we should recruit top 10 every year and top 5 at least twice every 4 years to be a title contender in the SEC. Cause that's what all our rivals are doing.

Where is USC on the all time win list? We are pretty close to each other.

I'd say they may not be the top dogs anymore. UCLA has had their number recently.

We have one of the largest recruiting budgets in the country. If not the largest. We used to put more talent in the NFL than any program in the country save Miami/Free Shoes U. No excuses!

I think we agree on the fact we have to have great recruits every year. Go Vols

Reactions: 1 person
I bet you weren't excited about Cam Sutton (3*) when he signed. Some of these kids go unnoticed if they haven't been to a lot of camps where they can be seen. Some coaches have a nack for finding talent.

For every Cam Sutton there's many many more 3* or less that under perform or perform exactly how they are ranked. It's great to find that "diamond in the rough" recruit that exceeds expectations, but you can't make a living off of it. Just ask Derek Dooley.

For every Cam Sutton there's many many more 3* or less that under perform or perform exactly how they are ranked. It's great to find that "diamond in the rough" recruit that exceeds expectations, but you can't make a living off of it. Just ask Derek Dooley.

Yes. People forget that the stats don't lie. The more fours and gives you have the more likely the talent will play in the league. Bama fSU and OSU ain't full of diamond in the rough threes and twos!!!!!!!!!!

I don't get the the phrase "next year or bust" as if Butch gets one shot at this and this is what we were building towards.... ONE potential great season in 2016.... And if he can't cash in then we should cut him loose. And that's it.

This isn't the NFL where half a roster can be flipped in one offseason. Butch is recruiting excellently and we have done nothing but improved in every facet of the game (excluding grass condition lol), between and outside the lines. Butch can stay as long as he pulls in top talent if it were up to me. I don't see a potential Al Golden type loss ever coming out of a Butch team while at Tennessee. And he's certainly not going to get us into legal trouble and he is a good man and good coach.

Stop drawing the line in the sand at the end of 2016.

They love handing out these fake ultimatums that they have no power to issue. When something gets done they have nothing to do with it. :thud:

We will finish strong

For those in this thread who do not follow recruiting closely, GFW has access to athletic dept info on recruiting that has proven to be accurate and reliable in most cases. When he makes a comment about a player, or in this case our recruiting prospects in general, you should feel very good about the person or subject being discussed.

I was not the least bit worried about our recruiting prior to this post from GFW, but having read this I am now even more confident we will all be happy with the way our class finishes. Doesn't mean there won't be some individual differences of opinion on specific players, but the overall quality of the class will be at the level we need to be competitive in the SEC and nationally. In other words, take a "chill pill", sit back and enjoy the ride. :thumbsup:

Reactions: 4 people
As long as we got the Bobs...recruiting and talent evaluation is not a concern for me. Lot of folks on VN have no idea who these guys even are. We could have a class ranked outside 20 and still get a lot of good to great players out of it, just because of their evaluating ability IMO.

As long as we got the Bobs...recruiting and talent evaluation is not a concern for me. Lot of folks on VN have no idea who these guys even are. We could have a class ranked outside 20 and still get a lot of good to great players out of it, just because of their evaluating ability IMO.

Doesn't matter. If the "experts" at rivals.com don't put 5* by their name they suck.

Got to be well inside the top 10 every year to be competitive and have the talent depth to compete. Only 20 recruits this year is not a good excuse....USC used to recruit in the top 5 with only 18-20 recruits.

Star gazer...you bet. It counts in the SEC

So...literally every single year? You can't have, like, three top 5 classes and one top 15 every four years?

Class is beginning to take shape now. This one won't be rated as highly as some in the past but we have a lot of kids that will contribute immediately from the JUCO ranks and our window is now. You have some that are criminally underrated like CFA. And those that are rated highly but have sky high potential like Guarantano. You got some of these three star guys that are becoming hot commodities and honestly a few we'll be lucky to hold onto like Christmas-Giles. Generally I look through a class and I call a spade a spade; in the past I've been critical of some kids we've took like Bruce and Oliver. This is a class that I really don't see any dead weight in despite some kids not being rated as highly.

Class is beginning to take shape now. This one won't be rated as highly as some in the past but we have a lot of kids that will contribute immediately from the JUCO ranks and our window is now. You have some that are criminally underrated like CFA. And those that are rated highly but have sky high potential like Guarantano. You got some of these three star guys that are becoming hot commodities and honestly a few we'll be lucky to hold onto like Christmas-Giles. Generally I look through a class and I call a spade a spade; in the past I've been critical of some kids we've took like Bruce and Oliver. This is a class that I really don't see any dead weight in despite some kids not being rated as highly.

With this staff I don't worry about recruiting anymore. They have proven to be elite now, especially the head man, as he is one of the best closers in the country. By our program continuing to have an upward projection, his pitch remains on track and true. We are in very good hands on the recruiting trail, especially with our aces (Bob and Bob) scouting prospects. I feel so confident that I'm celebrating NSD at Disney this year. :)

VN Store

Back