Recruiting concerns?

Corey Henderson is projected WR all the way. The way Marshall is playing his senior year, there will be a circle of life between Willie Martinez and Tee Martin to decide that. :)

This gave me "brain freeze" for a moment

I think we will end up with a decent class come Feb. There's no telling what players we might be on behind the curtains. This small class is liable to change quiet a bit between here and Feb. If there's one thing Butch has showed he can do, it's recruiting!

I strongly believe that we have to recruit well into the top 10 every single year to compete. We have a smaller class to fill this year but that means we should be choosier so to speak. It doesn't look like we are getting a ton of the studs right now at our most needed positions.

I'm hoping for a strong close out and that we finish 7 or 8. Need some more fours and fives. Yes stars do matter

Fill needs and build depth, stars aint the be all either, look at athlons mag, they have a list of top 40 players from 5 6 years ago. A huge percetage of those guys did not pan out. Need guys with upside

I believe at this time last year we didn't yet have a commitment from Drew Richmond, Kyle Phillips, Darrin Kirkland Jr., Justin Martin, and John Kelly. That's 2 5-star prospects and 2 big-time 4 star prospects.

Get concerned in late January about recruiting. Not the start of November. And especially when we're in the top 2-3 for several 5 star players.

Reactions: 1 person
I expect that we will not be a top 10 class with a class of only 20-21 recruits. However, I think the "quality" of the 2016 class will easily be top 10. Hopefully, this class will be the last "filling critical holes" classes. 2017 should be a normal, balanced replenishment class.

We've been a bit spoiled because both the 2014 and 2015 classes had a lot of early committing recruits. More and more of the classes will be filled late.

I expect that we will not be a top 10 class with a class of only 20-21 recruits. However, I think the "quality" of the 2016 class will easily be top 10. Hopefully, this class will be the last "filling critical holes" classes. 2017 should be a normal, balanced replenishment class.

We've been a bit spoiled because both the 2014 and 2015 classes had a lot of early committing recruits. More and more of the classes will be filled late.

The only issue with that is literally every school, every class has critical holes somewhere. There will be depth issues at every school, whether players leave early, transfer, injuries, whatever the case may be. After this class, you don't think we'll have a CRITICAL need at RB in 2017 after Hurd/Kamara probably head to the NFL Draft? What about DE after Barnett, Vereen & Lewis leave? Butch has to continue to recruit at an elite level to keep an elite roster. My bets are that he will, too.

Gotta make sure we recruit for the needs we have and don't get cought up in stars and get too deep in one position due to 5*'s wanting to be a part of something great. That's a nice problem to have. Any Tn residents need to be encouraged to walk on and just use the lottery scholarship to "pay" for it rather than tie up an athletic scholarship.

Go Vols!

Even if we don't rank in the top 10 due to a small class, It will be a good class. Not worried in the least.

Don't the services rank only the top 20 players in each class? Everyone that knows anything has said 20 is the basement for this class. I realize 20 is smaller than what we're use to but the smaller number shouldn't be used as an excuse for a lower ranking IMO.

For what it's worth, I tried to put a little math to it. For the last two years, we've averaged 16 4- & 5-star recruits out of 31 total recruits, based on the 247 composite scores. Of the 16 each year, we've averaged 5 recruits with 247 composite scores of at least 0.95 (sort of the top 4-stars, and 5-stars). So, if we're only taking 17 this year, we would need to have 8.8 4- & 5-star recruits, of which 2.7 had scores of at least 0.95. If we're only taking 20 this year, we would need to have 10.3 4- & 5-star recruits, of which 3.2 had scores of at least 0.95. If we're only taking 23 this year, we would need to have 11.9 4- & 5-star recruits, of which 3.7 had scores of at least 0.95. At the moment, we have 17 recruits, of which 6 are 4- & 5-star recruits, of which 1.0 have scores of at least 0.95.

It is good to have a strong recruiting class BUT it is not a death sentence if we don't have one. Boise State does not have strong recruiting classes and they do just fine.
Also, look at years past, when we had strong recruiting classes and notice that a couple of years later, many left the program or were performing well under their potential. That leaves us with just a few that actually performed well and stayed on the team through four years of eligibility.

Yes, you always want a strong recruiting class but not getting one is not the be all end all......

Is that you Dooley?

One thing:

1) Best recruiting advantage for Butch and staff right now is focusing on winning out with perhaps a bowl win. Reach 8/9 wins this year and they are selling where the program is headed. This should be their main and only concern right now. WIN THESE REMAINING GAMES!!!!

I agree with this. If Butch can look at these young recruits and make them seriously think by there sophomore or junior year we will be competing for National Title. Build it and they will come:)

It is only November for LSU, UGA, Bama and OSU too, but they seem to be doing much better.:blink:

They have better programs than we do. If we hadn't butched 3 games this year we would have talent lining up to come. Kids don't want hype in year 3 they want some results instead if choke jobs. Just the truth.

It is only November for LSU, UGA, Bama and OSU too, but they seem to be doing much better.:blink:

And out of LSU, UGA, Bama, OSU, and UT, which of those five programs has been in talks for national title contention lately? (Yes, even UGA was mentioned but let's not forget how fertile of a recruiting ground Georgia is).

Recruits want to see results. Win out and show them we're headed in the right direction and we'll likely see a few very nice gems sign with us this cycle.

And out of LSU, UGA, Bama, OSU, and UT, which of those five programs has been in talks for national title contention lately? (Yes, even UGA was mentioned but let's not forget how fertile of a recruiting ground Georgia is).

Recruits want to see results. Win out and show them we're headed in the right direction and we'll likely see a few very nice gems sign with us this cycle.

Explain 2014 and 2015 then. We weren't contenders then either. Just playing devils advocate

They have better programs than we do. If we hadn't butched 3 games this year we would have talent lining up to come. Kids don't want hype in year 3 they want some results instead if choke jobs. Just the truth.

Maybe they have had better teams, as of late, but better programs, no. In the SEC we are 2nd to Alabama in all time wins. We have as good as, or better tradition than anyone. Better facilities, better stadium, and the best fans! Those other programs aren't better than Tennessee. If you think that, I'm sure there are plenty of more seats on their bandwagon, so giddy up!

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 people
Maybe they have had better teams, as of late, but better programs, no. In the SEC we are 2nd to Alabama in all time wins. We have as good as, or better tradition than anyone. Better facilities, better stadium, and the best fans! Those other programs aren't better than Tennessee. If you think that, I'm sure there are plenty of more seats on their bandwagon, so giddy up!

What you smokin? Pass it on down!

What part is not true?
I believe everything that I stated is pretty much fact.

Did you even read my post dude? All those programs have had much better success recently than we have. We haven't fielded a decent team in a decade and we've had 4 coaches in that period. With the exception of Georgia, all those programs have own national titles in the past 10 years. Georgie might fire Richt if he goes 8-4 while that will be our best season in a long time.

I made no reference to the 1950s or our history as a program relative to these other teams. I'm simply stating what we have been recently when compared to those teams. It's a fact that that will have an impact on recruiting.

You're acting like stating a fact somehow doesn't make me a fan. Using your logic tennessee has the best program ever in history and if you don't say that you should find another team to root for. In fact I guess we should say they have had a better program than Bama LSU and ohio state over the past decade and recruits would be stupid not to be lining up to come here.

I strongly believe that we have to recruit well into the top 10 every single year to compete. We have a smaller class to fill this year but that means we should be choosier so to speak. It doesn't look like we are getting a ton of the studs right now at our most needed positions.

I'm hoping for a strong close out and that we finish 7 or 8. Need some more fours and fives. Yes stars do matter

I agree we need the best talent to over come the coaching staff. recruiting has a few studs, but not many great recruits. jones needs to step it up.

VN Store

Back