Recruiting concerns?

Over/under on the number of "concerned about recruiting" threads that get thrown over here from the FF before February? I'll put the line at 15.

I realize that it is the end of November and things could change but the class of '16 looks very pedestrian compared to the last 2 classes. I realize that class rankings are somewhat dependent on perspective but I also know that right now we have the 22nd ranked class according to Rivals. Kentucky is ranked 20th. I know that bammer has not signed a class ranked outside the top 10 (maybe top 5) since Saban got there and it has worked out pretty well for them.

It seems to me that to get where we want to go our classes should be consistently ranked in the top 10.

Will we see this class ranked in the top 10 after signing day? If not is it a cause for concern?
If I were the HFC, I would wait and see how all the coaching changes play out and cherry pick the studs I need as recruits decommit.

I don't get the the phrase "next year or bust" as if Butch gets one shot at this and this is what we were building towards.... ONE potential great season in 2016.... And if he can't cash in then we should cut him loose. And that's it.

This isn't the NFL where half a roster can be flipped in one offseason. Butch is recruiting excellently and we have done nothing but improved in every facet of the game (excluding grass condition lol), between and outside the lines. Butch can stay as long as he pulls in top talent if it were up to me. I don't see a potential Al Golden type loss ever coming out of a Butch team while at Tennessee. And he's certainly not going to get us into legal trouble and he is a good man and good coach.

Stop drawing the line in the sand at the end of 2016.

Bingo. You've passed the test of the last eight years of Tennessee football!

It's apparent many posters have not.

Reactions: 1 person
Before I read this thread, let me guess...this was moved over from the FF Forum wasn't it...

1595201-oh_look_its_this_thread_again_super.jpg

Reactions: 2 people
Lots of coaches leaving teams with players we have been in on for a while. I believe we'll finish strong and at least be 10-15th. Some special pieces out there still for Butch to reel in...gonna be interesting.

GO VOLS!

We have some incredible evaluators on staff. D'Andre Christmas-Giles is currently a 2-star recruit who is going to get a huge bump. One of the hottest high school players in the country. Just one example.

200.gif

That is just one example. I love this time of year cause the star-gazers come out in force.

2013 Tennessee 5–7 2–6 6th (East)
2014 Tennessee 7–6 3–5 T–4th (East) W TaxSlayer
2015 Tennessee 7–4 4–3 T-2nd(East) after today?
8-4 after today
potential 9-4 season with bowl win

Good thing he has results to sell!

The record and talent is better no doubt.

I think alot of fans are concerned bc of all the squandered leads and close loses. Talent wasnt the issue imo. Many feel that the records could have been better. And many dont have blind faith bc of that and concerned CBJ and co may not be the consistent in championship winning coaching. It happens. They have to prove it

The record and talent is better no doubt.

I think alot of fans are concerned bc of all the squandered leads and close loses. Talent wasnt the issue imo. Many feel that the records could have been better. And many dont have blind faith bc of that and concerned CBJ and co may not be the consistent in championship winning coaching. It happens. They have to prove it

Prove it like Urbie proved "championship winning coaching" last week in blowing a game OSU should have won?:loco:

Last edited:
:good!:
Couldn't be less concerned.

We have some incredible evaluators on staff. D'Andre Christmas-Giles is currently a 2-star recruit who is going to get a huge bump. One of the hottest high school players in the country. Just one example.

I just watched his senior year hudl film...whoa! Kid is really impressive.

OP, given your user name, I take it you are a USCe grad coming on this board and trying to stir things up. :D

Got to be well inside the top 10 every year to be competitive and have the talent depth to compete. Only 20 recruits this year is not a good excuse....USC used to recruit in the top 5 with only 18-20 recruits.

Star gazer...you bet. It counts in the SEC

Got to be well inside the top 10 every year to be competitive and have the talent depth to compete. Only 20 recruits this year is not a good excuse....USC used to recruit in the top 5 with only 18-20 recruits.

Star gazer...you bet. It counts in the SEC

Mizzou won the SEC east two years in a row and never sniffed the top 10.

Missouri had great coaching and a consistent system. The East has been weak for years. Plus they never win the big dance....so they are not my standard nor UTs standard for excellence.

We are the Vols. A top 10 program in the history of football.

This ain't no Mizzou.

Reactions: 2 people
Then who would we need to close on in order to get some 4 and 5* to get us even into the top 15? We will more than likely miss on Hardman, Davis, etc... and I don't see us as the favorite for too many others... we are definitely in the top four for quite a few kids, but that math doesn't work in our favor...

Nigel Warrior? Joejuan Williams? Derrick Brown? Velus Jones? I could on but won't. Are all of you this negative and critical in your daily lives?

There are things to be critical of Butch Jones, but recruiting is far from one of them. Our fans continue to amaze me when the things that are stated on this board.

I've got my own concerns about this staff. While I acknowledge the absolutely insidious effect of Derek Dooley and Mike Hamilton in this program (how is either of those guys employed in sports???), Butch needs to win the ones against UF and Bama (and, for goodness sake, against Arkansas) to really be THE MAN here. I am excited for a possible 8-4 or 9-4 season, especially after the last few years . . . but after losing against OU, UF, and Arkansas the ways that we did this year, there will always be a feeling of disappointment about it - could have been so much more if not for conservative play calling and some mental blocks in our players' heads.

We'll get it done someday. Needs to be soon.

Remember similar gnashing of teeth last year...this class doesn't have a punter and long-snapper among the commits. Put your pants back on! :scare:

Hanging out in here is less fun when panted! Pant less is the only way to VN!:shaking2:

VN Store

Back