Rankings

NCBWA has Vols at #5

Can't believe these early season polls are so consistent with each other this season

1- Arkansas
2- Oregon State
3-Clemson
4-Texas A&M
5-Tennessee
6-Virginia
7-LSU
8-Florida
9-Vanderbilt
10-Wake Forest
11-North Carolina
12-Dallas Baptist
13-Duke
14-East Carolina
15-Florida State
16-South Carolina
17-Alabama
18-Virginia Tech
19-Irvine
20-Kentucky
21-Coastal Carolina
22-Georigia
23-Mississippi State
24-Kansas State
25-NC State

I know LSU has 3 fewer losses than Florida but that's against a softer schedule and Florida beat LSU heads up in Red Stick.
Not sire I agree with Miss. State and Kansas State being ranked but I guess someone has to be.

Jay Johnson inherited a gold mine with Crews, Morgan, Dugas and JT and then the boosters said get out of the way we’re gonna buy you the rest. I’m not sold on his coaching abilities.

I promise you that I wasn't talking out of my ass earlier in this thread, lol. I am not a "hater", I am a realist and call it like I see it.

He is so ****ing lucky he had Skenes and Crews last year to lead their team. He isn't a leader as a coach, more like a manager.

If you observe, the West Coast coaches *generally* don't do well in the SEC. I don't have an exact reason for this but I think in theory it has to do with the style of management rather than extremely hard coaching. DVH, Corbin, TV, Sully, Scholl are generally dicks in practice and utilize the "break em down and mold em" process (heavily popularized by Saban in the last 5-10 years from my POV but these coaches have been doing it for longer). For better or worse, that is how success has been found in the SEC for most of my life.

Last edited:
Georgia still getting disrespected. That was a very good team Tennessee played over the weekend.
I thought they would be ranked for sure even losing 2/3. It seems like a momentous task to move in these polls based on “preconceived notions”. Wake Forest and LSU seem to stay ranked no matter how much they stink it up in conference….

I thought they would be ranked for sure even losing 2/3. It seems like a momentous task to move in these polls based on “preconceived notions”. Wake Forest and LSU seem to stay ranked no matter how much they stink it up in conference….
On the D1 Baseball chat, they said they are close but they couldn't move them up after a weekend series loss. Win next series and they will be ranked.

SEC is brutal this year.

5 SEC teams are above .500, but the rest are .500 or less.

IMG_7348.jpeg

Is Kentucky for real?
And LSU, are they in a slump?

I see D1 poll (4/8/2024) has release

Let's match them against my predictions from last night.

1 Arkansas
2. Clemson
3. Texas A&M
4. Tennessee
5. Oregon State
6. Vanderbilt
7. Duke
8. Kentucky
9. East Carolina
10. Florida State
11. Virginia
12. Irvine
13. North Carolina
14. Wake Forest
15. Dallas Baptist
16. Virginia Tech
17. UCF
18. Oregon
19. Louisiana
20. Coastal Carolina
21. Oklahoma State
22. Mississippi State
23. Nebraska
24. Florida
25. Alabama

I expected the top-5 to remain the same. Hit
I picked Vanderbilt to take Florida's spot at #6. Hit
I thought South Carolina and LSU would fall out. Hit Hit .They actually went up a spot to 22 after a 2-2 hectic week.
Florida and Alabama fell further than expected. Miss Miss I thought Alabama would be around 20-21 and Florida would find some way to stay at around #16. The Gators rightfully fell 18 spots (that has to be a record) from 6 to 24. Miss
Kentucky jumped further than I thought. I expected around 10 but they made it to #8. Miss
I picked 8 SEC Teams from 10 last week. Hit

I thought West Virginia would make rankings. Miss
I thought Creighton would make it. Miss
I thought Oklahoma State would make it. Hit

There were three new teams in poll. Oregon, Louisiana and Oklahoma State. I am surprised that all three made it so high into the polls.
I'm not sure how Oregon got the #18 with beating a bad UCLA (12-17/5-10) They have not played a tough schedule but are 22-8 . But their RPI is 54 against a 178 SOS. I looked at them last night and just thought "blah"
I should have looked a Louisiana (Lafayette Bitches!) more closely. They are 24-8 and 11-1 in the Fun Belt. Their RPI and SOS is better than Oregon at 52 and 126. THe Cajuns have 2 ugly losses outside the top-200 to Rice . They have won 15 in a row and 18 of 19. Still don't think they have the numbers to be a top-25 but especially not #19
Oklahoma State is better than those 2 teams. The took 2 of 3 against RPI #24 Oklahoma and quashed a Oral Roberts team that is surprisingly bad at #287. Their RPI is 26 and SOS is 44. But they do have 3 more losses than the other two. Still not buying the logic. The numbers are quite wide.
Creighton is #35 RPI and #30 SOS and is 24-5. They beat #18 RPI Nebraska last week at the Schwab. They are 7 of last 8. and 11 of last 13. Maybe the 1 loss to Butler over weekend was enough to keep them ignored. They do play this weekend at #3 Xavier. These are likely the 2 best teams in BigEast. This is likly a 1 bid league unles Georgetown (who swept the Fightin' Mosiellos at Ohio State late last month) can continue to surprise
West Virginia is #43 RPI and # #60 SOS but is 19-12 (still better than Florida) I can live with them not being in. But they host #7 RPI UCF this week and go to #37 Texas Teach the week after.

I see D1 poll (4/8/2024) has release

Let's match them against my predictions from last night.

1 Arkansas
2. Clemson
3. Texas A&M
4. Tennessee
5. Oregon State
6. Vanderbilt
7. Duke
8. Kentucky
9. East Carolina
10. Florida State
11. Virginia
12. Irvine
13. North Carolina
14. Wake Forest
15. Dallas Baptist
16. Virginia Tech
17. UCF
18. Oregon
19. Louisiana
20. Coastal Carolina
21. Oklahoma State
22. Mississippi State
23. Nebraska
24. Florida
25. Alabama

I expected the top-5 to remain the same. Hit
I picked Vanderbilt to take Florida's spot at #6. Hit
I thought South Carolina and LSU would fall out. Hit Hit .They actually went up a spot to 22 after a 2-2 hectic week.
Florida and Alabama fell further than expected. Miss Miss I thought Alabama would be around 20-21 and Florida would find some way to stay at around #16. The Gators rightfully fell 18 spots (that has to be a record) from 6 to 24. Miss
Kentucky jumped further than I thought. I expected around 10 but they made it to #8. Miss
I picked 8 SEC Teams from 10 last week. Hit

I thought West Virginia would make rankings. Miss
I thought Creighton would make it. Miss
I thought Oklahoma State would make it. Hit

There were three new teams in poll. Oregon, Louisiana and Oklahoma State. I am surprised that all three made it so high into the polls.
I'm not sure how Oregon got the #18 with beating a bad UCLA (12-17/5-10) They have not played a tough schedule but are 22-8 . But their RPI is 54 against a 178 SOS. I looked at them last night and just thought "blah"
I should have looked a Louisiana (Lafayette Bitches!) more closely. They are 24-8 and 11-1 in the Fun Belt. Their RPI and SOS is better than Oregon at 52 and 126. THe Cajuns have 2 ugly losses outside the top-200 to Rice . They have won 15 in a row and 18 of 19. Still don't think they have the numbers to be a top-25 but especially not #19
Oklahoma State is better than those 2 teams. The took 2 of 3 against RPI #24 Oklahoma and quashed a Oral Roberts team that is surprisingly bad at #287. Their RPI is 26 and SOS is 44. But they do have 3 more losses than the other two. Still not buying the logic. The numbers are quite wide.
Creighton is #35 RPI and #30 SOS and is 24-5. They beat #18 RPI Nebraska last week at the Schwab. They are 7 of last 8. and 11 of last 13. Maybe the 1 loss to Butler over weekend was enough to keep them ignored. They do play this weekend at #3 Xavier. These are likely the 2 best teams in BigEast. This is likly a 1 bid league unles Georgetown (who swept the Fightin' Mosiellos at Ohio State late last month) can continue to surprise
West Virginia is #43 RPI and # #60 SOS but is 19-12 (still better than Florida) I can live with them not being in. But they host #7 RPI UCF this week and go to #37 Texas Teach the week after.
Oregon will make it to a super. Seems they usually find a way when you think they’re not that good

Reactions: WillisWG
Oregon will make it to a super. Seems they usually find a way when you think they’re not that good

The west coast baseball era has passed - at least for the time being.

The region and the Pac12 used to dominate the sport. With USC, UCLA, Washington and Oregon moving to the Big10; I think those programs will be devastated even further unless the B1G can find a way to keep those teams competitive. The teams moving to the Big12 will maintain - an maybe improve. I HOPE Oregon State find a plan to keep their most high profile program alive and kicking in whatever arrangement they can make with the PAC (WashState) and MtnWest.

The NCAA tries to prop them up with a few regions or national seeds so it's not an all SEC/Big12 show.

Oregon gave up on baseball decades ago until two Oregon State won back-to-back in 2000s. Phil Knight stroked a big check so the Ducks would restart their program and hired George Horton out of retirement from Fullerton and started playing again (after 28 years) in 2009.

Oregon has finished no higher than 2nd in an ever weakening Pag-12. They've hosted regionals three times since 2012 and only won as host once. (2012) They hosted the Super Regional last year after upsetting Vanderbilt in Nashville- (Xavier beat Vanderbilt in loser's bracket and Oregon got to avoid Vandy for the title game.) and because Oral Roberts upset Oklahoma State. They lost the Super to ORU.

Long story short, Oregon has tried - more than most every other program outside the SEC, to buy a title and they can't even win a conference title. They are #54 RPI (up from #64 last week)

They are at 22-8 and the "Computer" expects them to finish 38-15. But get to #34 RPI. That's low 2 or high 3 seed territory

Ducks are 2-3 against RPI Quad 1
7-5 against Quad 2
3-2 Against Quad 3
10-2 against Quad 4

The Pac12 in their swan song is #6 RPI and #4 ELO as UO is 4th place behind AZ, OreState, and USC. They are 4th by RPI and only OreState is above .500 against RPI Q1 at 4-2 and are the high RPI team at #10.

With Oregon State being a likely region host- and likely a national seed- I do not think there will be pressure for the NCAA to "give" Eugene a regional if they are borderline. The Pac-12 will have real trouble getting two regions hosts as the #6 RPI conference. (Behind even the Big10 and SunBelt and barely ahead of the BigEast) However, the other western conferences are tanking even worse.

Pac12 #6 O-State highest at #10
BigWest #12 Irvine is highest at #17
WestCoast #15 San Diego is #42
MtnWest #18 Air Force is #122
WAC #20 Grand Canyon is # 97

If the NCAA wants more than 1 host in the Mountain or Pacific time zones, and UC-Irvine is there, then Oregon will be left out in the cold and would likely be the 2 or 3 seed in Irvine. A team in the 30s or 40 will not host a regional despite the politics. I don't see Oregon jumping over Irvine in RPI or polls.

Last edited:
Can a Sec team make the postseason at 12-18? If we beat LSU for the series this weekend and they sit at 4-11…I am not sure they can do better than 12-18. Rankings suggest they are done valuing Sec teams as a whole as well. Coming into the year we knew Ark, Vandy, A&M, and the mighty Vols were all good. Kentucky has slotted into the LSU/Florida spot and that is it. Everybody else is barely holding on and in danger of playing entire postseason on the road. Arkansas has played a weak conference schedule if you include LSU as weak. Kentucky has played a weak one and so have we. Should be a fun remaining 6 weekends for sure!

Also..how good is Clemson if they are ranked #2 and lost their best hitter to us. Credit to them. No doubt in my mind we will see Wake in regionals or supers if seeds hold. Ncaa is funny like that.

Can a Sec team make the postseason at 12-18? If we beat LSU for the series this weekend and they sit at 4-11…I am not sure they can do better than 12-18. Rankings suggest they are done valuing Sec teams as a whole as well. Coming into the year we knew Ark, Vandy, A&M, and the mighty Vols were all good. Kentucky has slotted into the LSU/Florida spot and that is it. Everybody else is barely holding on and in danger of playing entire postseason on the road. Arkansas has played a weak conference schedule if you include LSU as weak. Kentucky has played a weak one and so have we. Should be a fun remaining 6 weekends for sure!

Also..how good is Clemson if they are ranked #2 and lost their best hitter to us. Credit to them. No doubt in my mind we will see Wake in regionals or supers if seeds hold. Ncaa is funny like that.
They may be ranked 2 but they aren't the 2nd best team...

VN Store

Back