Rankings

Offensively, we have the potential to be scary good. Top to bottom is loaded with power. This team sets up nicely for our ball park. Still need to see more defensively to determine if that will be a problem. Also, want to see how we handle holding runners, in conference play. I think our pitching will work itself out, pending we stay healthy. We need Russell in a big way. Overall, our pitching has good depth to compete. This team has all the pieces to win our conference and a national championship. Plus our coaching staff is A+. Looking forward to the Alabama series this weekend. Need to start well, win the series and the ole miss series may be a sweep for us. Go Vols!

If you ask me, I feel like we have the best team in the conference thus far but it will be a dog fight. The top contenders in the conference outside of us are A&M, Arkansas, and LSU. Georgia looks like they are much improved and could be a dark horse. Alabama is doing well under new leadership. It will be one heck of a slug fest once again though. Missouri is the only team that hasn’t won two-thirds of their games and 10 programs have won at least 80% of their games. 6 programs that have 2 losses or less. Pretty evident that the SEC still reigns supreme. Should be a fun season.
Since we do not play A&M or Arkansas in regular season it could leave a lot to the imagination as to which team is considered the best. Goal is a ranking inside top 8 at end of year to be a regional and supers host. I am not overly worried about past that because the CWS is such a gauntlet. All you can ask for is that there is not a dominant game 1 pitcher once you get there because losing first game in Omaha usually seals your fate. Last year we got a solid gift in our supers matchup with Southern Miss but with Skenes awaiting in Omaha I knew what was probably about to occur. Not saying we could have won it all but we had as good of a chance to make the finals as anyone else if we didn’t have to run into Skenes in first game.

I watched quite a bit of that series this weekend. Duke looked like the real deal but I don't think the series win should jump them that high. Sunday looked like two teams that were both trying to lose as hard as they can.
only caught the last 2.5 innings but looking at today's scores both look ranked a bit high

Last edited:
Reactions: txbo and chuckiepoo
No road team in the SEC prevailed in their series in week #1.

If that continues into week #2 then everyone will stay jumbled up.

I believe the only "bad" SEC team is Missouri who scored only 1 run in Arkansas and lost to Kansas last night 4-3. Mizzour has bad losses to San Diego State, SEMO, NKU, and Purdue Ft Wayne.

I believe their only quality wins are game #1 against Cal-Poly who is only 10-9 themselves and 1 win (out of 3) against UCSD,

Reactions: chuckiepoo
I don't know why Missouri has kept their coach. He has never succeeded since he has been there other than a few weekends, including us last year. He was a successful small D1 coach but is not a good recruiter and I'm convinced not a good game coach.

I don't know why Missouri has kept their coach. He has never succeeded since he has been there other than a few weekends, including us last year. He was a successful small D1 coach but is not a good recruiter and I'm convinced not a good game coach.
We must have bought him an extra year.

Mizzou changed coaching staffs this past May. Hired Kerrick Jackson as the head coach and he brought in former HC Tim Jamieson as pitching coach. With Dalton being with the Vols and two other starters from last year at Arkansas, they only returned 2 full time starters from last year and a couple part time players.

Mizzou changed coaching staffs this past May. Hired Kerrick Jackson as the head coach and he brought in former HC Tim Jamieson as pitching coach. With Dalton being with the Vols and two other starters from last year at Arkansas, they only returned 2 full time starters from last year and a couple part time players.
You are correct. My bad.

Vols losses are not as bad as some others ranked ahead of them.
For example, Clemson has 2 losses. They took 2/3 from Duke, which is impressive, but they lost at home to Kennesaw State. Bad. Like 18-1 or something.
They keep beating up local D-2 teams.
I hope the SOS factors in some way, which should help the Vols down the stretch

I'm surprised we went to 5 as I was expecting 7 with a jump only over LSU.

The midweek loss by Florida to JU likely cancelled out their series win at a struggling LSU.

I thought LSU would fall out of the top-10 but looking more, last weeks' records by other teams left LSU in the top 0-1. Teams 14. 15, 16, 19 and 20 filed the gaps caused by the bad records by Duke, ECU, Alabama, Florida State and Coastal Carolina.

Oklahoma's struggles last week (1-3) have hurt the Vols' RPI and EPO as the Mountaineers took 2 of 3 in Norman after a midweek loss to DBU.

UVA needs to be ahead of LSU

Long story short. A lot of talented teams had simultaneous bad weekends last week.

I'm going to look at my power rankings after Tuesday and Wednesday games. There are some important games.

Mercer (14-7) will test UGA as Georgia will try to prove their Alabama sweep was not a fluke
Florida goes to Florida State who finally had a bad week at Clemson after a relatively soft early season schedule.
Samford goes to Mississippi State
Austin Peay goes to Ole Siss

VN Store

Back