Practice updates of any kind

So Jabari has one leg 2" shorter than the other? Did I see a govols247 tweet to that affect today? Wut?

I think those expecting Barnes to really push the pace are going to be highly disappointed. The last five years his team is 183rd in adjusted tempo

I think those expecting Barnes to really push the pace are going to be highly disappointed. The last five years his team is 183rd in adjusted tempo

From what I've read he is going to go very fast, partially because we are playing small ball. The recent article on the 6th mentioned that.

Maybe it turns out to be BS, but Barnes and Lanier have talked about teaching these guys to get the ball inbounds/def. rebound, up the court, and score within 7 seconds, this has been a point of emphasis early on. I think Barnes likely looks and realizes we do not have a low post go to like a Stokes in the half court, we are gonna HAVE to have points in transition to win some games maybe we shouldn't, and that our bugs CAN run, that's one strength they each posses. Just because his last 5 teams didn't do it, doesn't mean he can't be easily coach it that way, he's a guy that will fit a system to his teams strengths he says.

I would be curious to look back through his Texas, but also Providence and Clemson teams to see what kind of ppg, or pace they had.

As of now, Alexander looks like the man for the starting 5 spot. Thats a huge sign in terms of depth at the post position. Also quoted as saying he runs as "fast as the guards".

It seems likely Alexander will start at the five; his job in the break is to flash into the lane, with his back to the baseline, and post. The other three Vols will have fanned out beyond the 3-point line.

As of now, Alexander looks like the man for the starting 5 spot. Thats a huge sign in terms of depth at the post position. Also quoted as saying he runs as "fast as the guards".

Saw that, definitely caught me off guard, unless they're thinking Kasongo starting at the 4 and Alexander the 5, I would be very surprised to see Alexander starting over Kasongo at the 5.

Saw that, definitely caught me off guard, unless they're thinking Kasongo starting at the 4 and Alexander the 5, I would be very surprised to see Alexander starting over Kasongo at the 5.
I believe the staff is really liking Alexander. I can't remember exactly but wasn't it you posting about Alexander really showing potential? Like NBA-caliber potential? He has a long way to go, but it's definitely nice to know that an unranked 3* Canadian big man is better than his initial ranking.

Kyle has a lot of upside and runs like a deer, for his size. In the one full game of his I found on YouTube he brought the ball in. Which is unusual for a 5. See it with 3s and 4s, cause you like that size seeing over the defense. But I don't remember seeing many 5s bringing the ball in, especjally after a trip on the defensive end.

My 2 cents on starting Kyle over Kasongo at the 5 is it gives Alexander added confidence knowing the coach likes your game and trusts you enough to start you out the gate. While also motivating Kasongo to pick it up. At this point their is zero reason Kasongo shouldn't be ahead of Kyle. Imo

I'd love to sees starting lineup of...

Punter
Hubbs
Moore
Kasongo
Alexander

That's some nice size.

Reactions: 2 people
Replace Kasongo with McGhee, and that'd be mine as well. I think Reese and McGhee will be your 4s.

Reactions: 1 person
Kyle has a lot of upside and runs like a deer, for his size. In the one full game of his I found on YouTube he brought the ball in. Which is unusual for a 5. See it with 3s and 4s, cause you like that size seeing over the defense. But I don't remember seeing many 5s bringing the ball in, especjally after a trip on the defensive end.

My 2 cents on starting Kyle over Kasongo at the 5 is it gives Alexander added confidence knowing the coach likes your game and trusts you enough to start you out the gate. While also motivating Kasongo to pick it up. At this point their is zero reason Kasongo shouldn't be ahead of Kyle. Imo
But tbh, we don't know enough on either. Kasongo is known for his defense, and from I understand, Alexander is the one with more athleticism and more upside. Not to mention Alexander is still new to the game of basketball, but he has a ton of upside. Maybe he really is getting a feel for the game and is better offensively than Kasongo?

AuntieDee mentioned Kasongo still needed to toughen up in the post. Maybe they want Kasongo to toughen up and be the dominant post player they know he can?

Overall, I would say Alexander showing out up to this point is a very good thing. Not a bad thing for our post.

But tbh, we don't know enough on either. Kasongo is known for his defense, and from I understand, Alexander is the one with more athleticism and more upside. Not to mention Alexander is still new to the game of basketball, but he has a ton of upside. Maybe he really is getting a feel for the game and is better offensively than Kasongo?

AuntieDee mentioned Kasongo still needed to toughen up in the post. Maybe they want Kasongo to toughen up and be the dominant post player they know he can?

Overall, I would say Alexander showing out up to this point is a very good thing. Not a bad thing for our post.

I completely agree. That was poorly worded on my part. When I said zero reason Kasongo shouldn't be ahead, I was referring to how he seemed to be physically ahead coming in.

Imo(and granted I havent watch a nary practice), its his effort that has allowed Kyle to pass him. Wasn't meaning to imply it was a bad thing for our team either. I'm just surprised Kasongo didn't come in and grab that spot by the horns.

It's the SEC and I'll put my money on the extra 30 to 40 pounds and 1 yr college experience getting the starting job at 5. No diss on Alexander though. Will be special.

It's the SEC and I'll put my money on the extra 30 to 40 pounds and 1 yr college experience getting the starting job at 5. No diss on Alexander though. Will be special.
I tend to agree. Didn't Kasongo only average like 22mpg in JUCO? I hope he's in shape to handle the fast play and longer minutes.

I tend to agree. Didn't Kasongo only average like 22mpg in JUCO? I hope he's in shape to handle the fast play and longer minutes.

Less than that but played for a coach that used 12 a game. My take was he was loaded with freshman and searching for his best.

Don't think we've seen conditioning like Barnes does it.
They'll all be ready to go the minutes.

Jabari just reiterated that he would put Kyle over Kasonga at the 5. Kasonga is big but soft and timid. Hopefully he'll toughen up by SEC play.

Reactions: 1 person
Rob Lewis said as of today he would say starting 5 is: Punter/Baulkman/Hubbs/Moore/Kasongo...went on to say that only KP, Baulkman and Moore are almost locks for starters. Also mentioned that Armani will be playing theb4, he will handle the ball some in the half court loffensuveky, but he primarily will be a 4. So would sound to me like Hubbs/Mostella are battling for the other wing spot and that McGhee/Alexander/Kasongo are battling for the starting now 5 spot.

In that video it was Punter/Mostella/Baulkman/Moore/Alexander getting run as the first unit. I could be absolutely wrong, but I really expect Barnes to push he pace offensively like we haven't seen in a long time as Vol fans.

He's got Punter to run point, Mostella/Hubbs/Baulkman to run the wings, Moore/McGhee/Reese at the 4, Kasongo/Alexander at the 5...they don't have the facilitator, shooter, or low post threat to score frequently in the half court, they're gonna push the ball and are going to take early shots if they are open, because it may very well be their best look of that possession.

It's no shock Barnes is putting an emphasis on conditioning that hasn't been seen around the program for a very long time, they're gonna try to wear opponents down and win games in the last 5-6 minutes.

In that video it was Punter/Mostella/Baulkman/Moore/Alexander getting run as the first unit. I could be absolutely wrong, but I really expect Barnes to push he pace offensively like we haven't seen in a long time as Vol fans.

He's got Punter to run point, Mostella/Hubbs/Baulkman to run the wings, Moore/McGhee/Reese at the 4, Kasongo/Alexander at the 5...they don't have the facilitator, shooter, or low post threat to score frequently in the half court, they're gonna push the ball and are going to take early shots if they are open, because it may very well be their best look of that possession.

It's no shock Barnes is putting an emphasis on conditioning that hasn't been seen around the program for a very long time, they're gonna try to wear opponents down and win games in the last 5-6 minutes.

This is no shot at Martin by the way, but id love to have had Barnes when stokes was here.

VN Store

Back