Practice updates of any kind

Rob Lewis gave some very in depth thoughts from practice, a lack of PG and post scoring presence is gonna hurt this team, but they're gonna look to make up for it with conditioning, toughness and fast break opportunities.

In summary, said Kasongo has work to do, but physically is a specimen and ready to bang in SEC play. Alexander HS added muscle and the potential is very real, needs some time but people around the program are very excited about Kyle. McGhee has added some strength but his scoring ability is still lacking, if he can stay healthy and continue to be a rebounder and energy guy he'll find his niche. Reese because of his potential scoring ability has a chance, the staff has made him aware though if he wants minutes he will defend and rebound, as of now he's buying in. Moore is gonna run a lot of offense in the half court, but he won't be bringing the ball up against pressure, the point is gonna be Punter. Baulkman has looked good and is hitting shots, Mostella and Hubbs have also looked good, Hubbs has shown a good start to the year and seems focused. It's a shame Turner isn't eligible as he very possibly could be starting, has a very impressive outside stroke and is closest thing to a PG this team has, is pushing Punter in practice though.

As of today, Punter/Baulkman/Hubbs/Moore would be your likely 4 starters, with Mostella right there but needing to add some strength and improve conditioning. Rob Lewis has said repeatedly, Barnes is a freak about conditioning. Said Buzz, Pearl, Martin and Tyndall all stressed conditioning, but that Barnes takes it to a level never seen under any of those guys.

That's twice I've took Kyle is ahead of Kasongo. He's your 5. Imo

I would think Punter is your 1, because he is the most proven ball handler and can still find his shot. Stella just needs to put as much effort in on the defensive side as he does the o, and he'd be the 6th. And Jabari seems like a gamer.imo He may not stick out in practice, but when the balls tipped, he's ready to go. Although I would like to see a 15 ft er here and there to stretch the defense.

That's twice I've took Kyle is ahead of Kasongo. He's your 5. Imo

I would think Punter is your 1, because he is the most proven ball handler and can still find his shot. Stella just needs to put as much effort in on the defensive side as he does the o, and he'd be the 6th. And Jabari seems like a gamer.imo He may not stick out in practice, but when the balls tipped, he's ready to go. Although I would like to see a 15 ft er here and there to stretch the defense.

As of 10/6/2015 IMO

PG: Punter/Phillips
SG: Baulkman/Mostella
SF: Hubbs/Moore
PF: Moore/McGhee/Reese
C: Kasongo/Alexander

Rob Lewis gave some very in depth thoughts from practice, a lack of PG and post scoring presence is gonna hurt this team, but they're gonna look to make up for it with conditioning, toughness and fast break opportunities.

In summary, said Kasongo has work to do, but physically is a specimen and ready to bang in SEC play. Alexander HS added muscle and the potential is very real, needs some time but people around the program are very excited about Kyle. McGhee has added some strength but his scoring ability is still lacking, if he can stay healthy and continue to be a rebounder and energy guy he'll find his niche. Reese because of his potential scoring ability has a chance, the staff has made him aware though if he wants minutes he will defend and rebound, as of now he's buying in. Moore is gonna run a lot of offense in the half court, but he won't be bringing the ball up against pressure, the point is gonna be Punter. Baulkman has looked good and is hitting shots, Mostella and Hubbs have also looked good, Hubbs has shown a good start to the year and seems focused. It's a shame Turner isn't eligible as he very possibly could be starting, has a very impressive outside stroke and is closest thing to a PG this team has, is pushing Punter in practice though.

As of today, Punter/Baulkman/Hubbs/Moore would be your likely 4 starters, with Mostella right there but needing to add some strength and improve conditioning. Rob Lewis has said repeatedly, Barnes is a freak about conditioning. Said Buzz, Pearl, Martin and Tyndall all stressed conditioning, but that Barnes takes it to a level never seen under any of those guys.

Hard to imagine a coach stressing conditioning more than Martin. That is an interesting take.

As of 10/6/2015 IMO

PG: Punter/Phillips
SG: Baulkman/Mostella
SF: Hubbs/Moore
PF: Moore/McGhee/Reese
C: Kasongo/Alexander

I wouldn't be mad at it. Personally, I would think have your best scoring 5 start and have the grinder coming off the bench. But on the plus side that lineups keepin Moore out of the 2 deep at pg.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 person
Hard to imagine a coach stressing conditioning more than Martin. That is an interesting take.

I can see how you'd think that, but it did seem to take us til January to get our legs under us, all 3 yrs he was here.

I can see how you'd think that, but it did seem to take us til January to get our legs under us, all 3 yrs he was here.
This. Almost every season opener the players would look completely winded after one game. As I've once heard before "you shouldn't be winded after a game if you are truly prepared because the game is the fun part!".

We will have lots of athletes and I'm glad CRB is pushing the fast break game and using our players where the will be at their best. Half court isn't gonna work for us this year due to a lack of experienced big men and a point guard who can set an offense well.

Hoping we will see us press some and change our defense so we can create chaos. I hated how under Martin we would always play man to man and under Tyndall it was always a zone. Hoping for a good mix on that end this year.

I wouldn't be mad at it. Personally, I would think have your best scoring 5 start and have the grinder coming off the bench. But on the plus side that lineups keepin Moore out of the 2 deep at pg.

I like it. Feel like Jabari should start, but I don't see how, so I won't argue.

I like it. Feel like Jabari should start, but I don't see how, so I won't argue.
I would say because we don't know how much he has improved over Reese, Kasongo, or Alexander. Jabari is known for his dirty work - the hustle, offensive rebounds, and put backs. His defense needs work (the fouls and positioning) and he still needs to develop an offensive game (quoted out of Barnes mouth I believe). I would say he will share PT with Reese and Kasongo at the 4/5. I see different players starting every night depending who our match up is against.

Last edited:

VN Store

Back