Poor Sportsmanship?

UGA pulled starters/seniors at halftime. The backups played the entire second half, but they ran the offense for at least a full quarter.
Excuse me I thought Beck started the 3rd qtr. My bad but up 42-3 at halftime and still throwing the ball all over the field in the second half. Could you imagine the announcers if that was TN?

Reactions: 207 others

Those are players that Tennessee needs to develop. And Heupel wasn't going to take a couple of knees when he could get five or six extra developmental reps for those guys against a really good defensive team in Iowa. There's no substitute for those types of reps. It wasn't about trying to score again (which the Vols didn't) or trying to make Iowa look bad. It was simply about getting those young guys a few live-game reps to end the season.
Well said.
To imply that Coach Heupel is malicious or spiteful and that he intended to run up the score for emotional, childish reasons is ludicrous, unfounded, and uninformed.
Heupel is a thoughtful program manager, and deliberate in every decision he makes. You're exactly right. He had some young players in the game who were getting invaluable live game reps in a goal-line situation. How they played is now on tape that coaches will use as a teaching tool. That could pay valuable dividends next year or the year after.
Had we scored, so be it. But as has already been said, after we got the first down, he ran out the clock.

Reactions: 207 others and Behr
Well said.
To imply that Coach Heupel is malicious or spiteful and that he intended to run up the score for emotional, childish reasons is ludicrous, unfounded, and uninformed.
Heupel is a thoughtful program manager, and deliberate in every decision he makes. You're exactly right. He had some young players in the game who were getting invaluable live game reps in a goal-line situation. How they played is now on tape that coaches will use as a teaching tool. That could pay valuable dividends next year or the year after.
Had we scored, so be it. But as has already been said, after we got the first down, he ran out the clock.
Fwiw, I forgot the quotations. It was from the article.

Im sure if we’d ask the backups that came in what would they rather do it would have been play to score especially being that close. Some may not ever get a chance again. As a fan it doesn’t bother me

There's a lot of things we "could have" done. What we SHOULD have done is SCORE ANOTHER TOUCHDOWN if at all possible. Those young men on the field at the end of the game have worked hard and deserve to hear "Rocky Top" played FOR THEM too.
As someone else pointed out...since when was 35 points "running up a score"..?? I might feel different if our bench had been emptied and were still scoring with a 60-0 scoreboard on that last possession, but that wasn't the case.

Seems to me Coach Heupel is sending a bit of a message on his philosophy that if we have to run a play, you are going to get 100% effort from the coaching staff and whoever is on the field - no matter what string they are. Once we were below the threshold requiring us to run a play, he declined to do so and let the clock run out.

Someone earlier pointed out the maxim about taking it to the opponent for 60 minutes. Taking a knee is not that...

If you have a problem with that, then not sure what to tell you. Maybe the program and type of program he is trying to build is not for you.

Hearing rumors from some bamers this morning that Milroe went off script on the last play. 😮
Pulled a JG!
Wouldn’t be surprised…….

Some of you sissies probably thought Tiger should have 3-putted a bunch of 18th greens when he was up big just to watch out for all the other players' feelings. What a loser mentality.

Some of you sissies probably thought Tiger should have 3-putted a bunch of 18th greens when he was up big just to watch out for all the other players' feelings. What a loser mentality.
That's a terrible, irrelevant comparison. That being said, yesterday's event wasn't poor sportsmanship

Obviously these commentators aren’t familiar with the old term, “It’s the defense job to stop them.”

You’re giving these young guys reps for next year.

What’s the big deal?
As an Iowa fan who stayed at the game until the end, I had no issue with how Tennessee operated at the end of the game.

To your point, it was Iowa's job to stop them. Period.

Haven't seen the broadcast yet, but that seems to be quite the snowflake comment.

All the young men out their bust their butts most of the year to get an opportunity to put their best on film and elevate their respective games.

Let 'em play.

VN Store

Back