Poor Sportsmanship?

Excuse me I thought Beck started the 3rd qtr. My bad but up 42-3 at halftime and still throwing the ball all over the field in the second half. Could you imagine the announcers if that was TN?
First things first: I didn’t mean to come across as snippy or argumentative—upon re-reading my post it could have been interpreted that way.

I think it’s fair for teams to run whatever they want with whoever they want for at least a half. I really think 3 quarters is fine for starters and full playbook in all but the most lopsided games. And the backups should get at least 1-2 drives of the whole playbook.

If Nico had more experience, I think Tennessee would have pulled him a drive or two earlier, let Moore have his drives, and then switch to spamming dive plays. I have some sympathy with the idea that Moore getting open playbook drives late in the 4th ruffled some feathers, but it’s pretty small beer. Tennessee played the whole game with the backup, so it’s hard to complain too much.

First things first: I didn’t mean to come across as snippy or argumentative—upon re-reading my post it could have been interpreted that way.

I think it’s fair for teams to run whatever they want with whoever they want for at least a half. I really think 3 quarters is fine for starters and full playbook in all but the most lopsided games. And the backups should get at least 1-2 drives of the whole playbook.

If Nico had more experience, I think Tennessee would have pulled him a drive or two earlier, let Moore have his drives, and then switch to spamming dive plays. I have some sympathy with the idea that Moore getting open playbook drives late in the 4th ruffled some feathers, but it’s pretty small beer. Tennessee played the whole game with the backup, so it’s hard to complain too much.
Exactly!

Reactions: 207 others
So GA beats a team 63-3 and has their starting QB still in the game up over 50 and the announcers say “you know you’re going to get GA’s best every time.” TN wins 35-0 with the second string and it’s “show some class TN.” The announcers can GF themselves.
this^^^^^ right^^^^^^ here^^^^^^

Should have scored quick, went for two, then onside kicked to try to get the ball back to score again (would have really peed the announcers off) and in every game.. not just the citrus bowl !
:cool:

Right before our final drive, Iowa went for it on 4th down on their own 34 yard line, and failed to convert. So Iowa gave UT the ball on the Iowa 34 yard line with 3:17 left to play. Tennessee then ran 3 rushing plays in a row. On the 4th play, we dropped back to pass, but Iowa grabbed Moore's helmet and tore it off. Is that good sportsmanship? Absolutely not.

Tennessee then slows down their offense with 2 minutes left and deep in the red zone. The only questionable play, in my opinion, is choosing to throw the ball on 3rd down with 38 seconds left. If UT doesn't throw the ball there, the clock runs out on the next play. Maybe UT should've just run the ball there, then called it a day. I still don't think it's poor sportsmanship, just delaying the inevitable. But these back-ups have earned the opportunity to run the offense. They get so few reps that every single snap is important for their development. If you whine about running the offense for the back-ups, well, really, you're probably just mad that you're losing 35 to zero.

I'll bet if a player had suffered a major injury while attempting to score another meaningless TD during the final minute or two then most on here would be criticising the coach for not "taking a knee instead of risking an uneccessary player injury" ... just sayin'.

I'll bet if a player had suffered a major injury while attempting to score another meaningless TD during the final minute or two then most on here would be criticising the coach for not "taking a knee instead of risking an uneccessary player injury" ... just sayin'.
But… if we are playing hypotheticals, and the situation were reversed and Iowa was kicking our butts (as everyone predicted)…. would Iowa have gone easy on us at the end of the game and taken a knee and not given anyone else any playing time? I’m going to guess no

Last edited:
Reactions: Alto1
UT could have scored, but they didn’t. It was a half hearted effort on that possession, still burning clock but not taking a knee. Iowa fans have bigger issues than if UT scores a meaningless TD or not.

Personally, I would have taken a knee, but I don’t hate on coaches that don’t. It’s really not that big of a deal.
Good post.. (and I personally would not have taken a knee) 😂

I've always thought it more disrespectful to kneel at the goal line rather than running plays. It's like you're taking pity on the peasants. When other teams do that to my teams I normally let out some version of "Oh just f'ing score!"
This… it’s so condescending.. Iowa was ranked above us (still will be according to some for some inexplicable reason)..and were in a bowl game for crying out loud.. with all their starters while our roster was hobbled together..

Last edited:
Reactions: just bob
Bench warmers in the game. Finally, finally, get on the field. And you tell them to not score? Kind of insulting, I think. Hit the portal boys, your own coach doesn't want you to play your best, go!

Reactions: LadyVolette
Bench warmers in the game. Finally, finally, get on the field. And you tell them to not score? Kind of insulting, I think. Hit the portal boys, your own coach doesn't want you to play your best, go!
‘You can play, but don’t be good’ 😂 what kind of coach would do that? 😂 Personally, I am pleased that Heupel is not like that

Reactions: WoodsmanVol

VN Store

Back