Phil Steele Top 40

I strongly prefer being under ranked than the opposite. Over ranked reminds me of the the late Fulmer years.
"over ranked" simply means folks are taking you seriously.

I prefer when the nation are taking our Vols seriously.

And, btw, it only turns out to be a true over-ranking if we don't have a good year. I also like us having good years.

Here's an idea: let's be over-ranked EVERY SINGLE SEASON, and then go out and prove EVERY SINGLE SEASON that it wasn't an over-ranking after all.

That's a lot more fun than asking people to think less of our team (under ranking them) so we have cushion to fail. Yeah?

Go Vols!

Preseason rankings about Blue Chip Talent and conference strength and schedules. Blue-chip Talent we are behind Texas A&M and we play GA as well. Now with TN getting a bye before A&M and they play Bama we are favored and should win. And Yes there is still some unbelief in Milton. My success this year is how do we play Bama on Road and GA at home do we push both until end of game or we are out of game by 4th Quarter. In CHRIST Alone

I get them mixed up but isn't he the same guy that was saying earlier this week in videos that Tennessee was a legit contender to Georgia and could be one of the best teams in the nation? Kind of odd.

I get them mixed up but isn't he the same guy that was saying earlier this week in videos that Tennessee was a legit contender to Georgia and could be one of the best teams in the nation? Kind of odd.
Outside of UGA, tOSU, and UMich last season, most of the Top10 was a handful of bounces away from a very different record.

Reactions: RDU VOL#14
I could see a PAC 12 making the CFP this season given the fact that USC, Oregon, Washington and Utah all have very good experienced quarterback play. I think there are 3 legit Heisman candidates in the league.

I like Phil Steele, I really do. I think he knows his stuff and generally has been favorable to Tennessee. But he just released his top pre-season 40 and I have a bone to pick:

1. Georgia
2. Clemson
3. Michigan
4. Alabama
5. Ohio State
6. Penn State
7. USC
8. Florida State
9. LSU
10. Notre Dame
11. Texas
12. Texas A&M
13. Wisconsin
14. Washington
15. Oregon
16. Utah
17. Iowa
18. Oregon State
19. Tennessee
20. Oklahoma
21. North Carolina
22. Toledo
23. Pittsburgh
24. UTSA
25. TCU
26. Ole Miss
27. South Alabama
28. UCLA
29. Kansas State
30. Miami
31. South Carolina
32. SMU
33. Boise State
34. Tulane
35. Kentucky
36. Air Force
37. NC State
38. Illinois
39. Texas Tech
40. Maryland

OK, I will give him the benefit of the doubt on putting LSU over us in the SEC. We play both Bama and UGA whereas LSU only plays Bama. But to put A&M above us is a slap in the face. And, honestly, to put us all the way down to #19 shows Heupel still is not getting the respect he deserves. Again, I like Steele and he probably has some statistic like Milton's lifetime completion percentage or some crap like that to justify us but I sincerely think we are a top ten team.

Well then, The Vols will just have to prove it on the field that they are better than 19th. I hope the major services disrespect us as well. That's great motivation when someone is shown disrespect!

Everyone has some big strikeouts, bit a study was done over a 30 year period and Steele was the most accurate in the business. Yes, he's still wrong from time to time but he's very data driven in his analysis

I like Phil Steele, I really do. I think he knows his stuff and generally has been favorable to Tennessee. But he just released his top pre-season 40 and I have a bone to pick:

1. Georgia
2. Clemson
3. Michigan
4. Alabama
5. Ohio State
6. Penn State
7. USC
8. Florida State
9. LSU
10. Notre Dame
11. Texas
12. Texas A&M
13. Wisconsin
14. Washington
15. Oregon
16. Utah
17. Iowa
18. Oregon State
19. Tennessee
20. Oklahoma
21. North Carolina
22. Toledo
23. Pittsburgh
24. UTSA
25. TCU
26. Ole Miss
27. South Alabama
28. UCLA
29. Kansas State
30. Miami
31. South Carolina
32. SMU
33. Boise State
34. Tulane
35. Kentucky
36. Air Force
37. NC State
38. Illinois
39. Texas Tech
40. Maryland

OK, I will give him the benefit of the doubt on putting LSU over us in the SEC. We play both Bama and UGA whereas LSU only plays Bama. But to put A&M above us is a slap in the face. And, honestly, to put us all the way down to #19 shows Heupel still is not getting the respect he deserves. Again, I like Steele and he probably has some statistic like Milton's lifetime completion percentage or some crap like that to justify us but I sincerely think we are a top ten team.
I'm not even giving him the benefit of LSU over us. We played Bama & UGA last year while they didn't and still finished with a better record. We hammered LSU at their place and it was probably worse than the score suggested. Death Valley was literally "Cajun Neyland." Yea HH and Hyatt are gone but we return a bunch of dudes that helped put foots to their backside. I think we got our first look at this year's team in the Orange Bowl and there is no way that it's 18 teams better than us.

Reactions: HooahVol
Everyone has some big strikeouts, bit a study was done over a 30 year period and Steele was the most accurate in the business. Yes, he's still wrong from time to time but he's very data driven in his analysis
What was his prediction for last year ??

What was his prediction for last year ??
For which team? Does one year indicate his track record?

His algorithm doesn't have any agenda and doesn't hate UT or any school.. yes, his pick for is seems low but as I said he's data driven.

Last 4 years recruiting rankings, how many seniors, strength of schedule, hard games at home or on the road, etc, etc.

His formula doesn't hate UT.

1. Georgia - 63rd
2. Clemson - 35th
3. Michigan - 51st
4. Alabama - 31st
5. Ohio State - 9th
6. Penn State - 89th
7. USC - 97
8. Florida State - 78th
9. LSU - 63rd
10. Notre Dame - 18th
11. Texas - 21st
12. Texas A&M - 22nd
13. Wisconsin - 90th
14. Washington - 54th
15. Oregon - 96th
16. Utah - 37th
17. Iowa - 109th
18. Oregon State - 63rd
19. Tennessee - 16th
20. Oklahoma - 57th
21. North Carolina
22. Toledo
23. Pittsburgh
24. UTSA
25. TCU
26. Ole Miss
27. South Alabama
28. UCLA
29. Kansas State
30. Miami
31. South Carolina
32. SMU
33. Boise State
34. Tulane
35. Kentucky
36. Air Force
37. NC State
38. Illinois
39. Texas Tech
40. Maryland

Note: I edited his post above and I am responsible for the SoS numbers.

There is more here than meets the eye, recruits, losses, tradition, .... so I added in SI Strength of Schedule Ranking .... SI was the first one I found. https://www.si.com/fannation/colleg...kings/college-football-schedule-rankings-2023
  1. There are only 3 teams in the top 20 who have schedules that rank in the top 20 as being (hypothetically) the most difficult. Tennessee is one of them. If you have a harder schedule .... it is harder to get higher.
  2. Granted Strength of Schedule in preseason is difficult to judge.
  3. Over half the teams in front of Tennessee have schedules that are BELOW 50th!!! That means getting those wins and keeping healthy is going to be so much easier. Thus better rankings! Check out #17 Iowa ... if you were wondering how they got so high ... basically .... they play nobody!!! Okay, well they do play Wisconsin.
  4. I personally think 19th is low, but give Phil credit for recognizing that winning records put a team higher on the board and when you have an easier schedule the win-lost record is going to make that team look better.

The only way I can see is finishing 19 (or worse) is if Milton goes down and we have to go to Nico prematurely.

Clemson at #2 is ludacris. Was not all that impressed with Klubnik. Notre Dame, Wisconsin, and Texas A&M are all extremely overrated in Phil's poll. Tennessee will be almost a double digit favorite against A&M at home, by the time that game comes around.

1. Georgia
2. Clemson
3. Michigan
4. Alabama
5. Ohio State
6. Penn State
7. USC
8. Florida State
9. LSU
10. Notre Dame
11. Texas
12. Texas A&M
13. Wisconsin
14. Washington
15. Oregon
16. Utah
17. Iowa
18. Oregon State
19. Tennessee
20. Oklahoma
21. North Carolina
22. Toledo
23. Pittsburgh
24. UTSA
25. TCU
26. Ole Miss
27. South Alabama
28. UCLA
29. Kansas State
30. Miami
31. South Carolina
32. SMU
33. Boise State
34. Tulane
35. Kentucky
36. Air Force
37. NC State
38. Illinois
39. Texas Tech
40. Maryland

Vols had a great season last year. But to get the respect you are talking about over the long haul I think Heupel needs to show that last year was more than a fluke of the right QB meeting the right system at the right time. Show progress with lesser talent. Show the ability to switch gears to, for example, a grind it out running game when that is where the strength is. And do it when the competition is solid rather than a bit off.

Reactions: Frozevol

1. Georgia
2. Clemson
3. Michigan
4. Alabama
5. Ohio State
6. Penn State
7. USC
8. Florida State
9. LSU
10. Notre Dame
11. Texas
12. Texas A&M
13. Wisconsin
14. Washington
15. Oregon
16. Utah
17. Iowa
18. Oregon State
19. Tennessee
20. Oklahoma
21. North Carolina
22. Toledo
23. Pittsburgh
24. UTSA
25. TCU
26. Ole Miss
27. South Alabama
28. UCLA
29. Kansas State
30. Miami
31. South Carolina
32. SMU
33. Boise State
34. Tulane
35. Kentucky
36. Air Force
37. NC State
38. Illinois
39. Texas Tech
40. Maryland

Here you go...Take a look at the 2022 predictions. Preseason polls mean zilch.....
College Football: Phil Steele’s 2022 preseason top 40 rankings

Vols had a great season last year. But to get the respect you are talking about over the long haul I think Heupel needs to show that last year was more than a fluke of the right QB meeting the right system at the right time. Show progress with lesser talent. Show the ability to switch gears to, for example, a grind it out running game when that is where the strength is. And do it when the competition is solid rather than a bit off.
Look, I get what you’re saying, and it’s reasonable. But just because Florida shite the bed down the stretch doesn’t mean TN played weak competition. It’s not our fault we abused Slovis so bad, he quit on his team and transferred to BYU, then dominated LSU, Kentucky, and Clemson. Part of the reason the competition looked off is because TN beat them so bad. Sure Bama missed the playoff, but they had 2 top 5 picks and missed ATL by like 3 points. You wouldn’t put an asterisk next to 07 LSU because the year was so wonky would you? And progression with lesser talent has basically been Heupel’s MO since he got here.

That being said I’m fine with the ranking. Would rather start low and be hungry.

For which team? Does one year indicate his track record?

His algorithm doesn't have any agenda and doesn't hate UT or any school.. yes, his pick for is seems low but as I said he's data driven.

Last 4 years recruiting rankings, how many seniors, strength of schedule, hard games at home or on the road, etc, etc.

His formula doesn't hate UT.
For us. I wanted to know where he picked us last year. I understand the analytics part but if we're honest no season has any bearing on the next or the one after that. Every year is it's own year in football. We all know sometimes u catch some breaks and sometimes you don't. Like we caught some breaks vs Bama. Wasn't no breaks vs LSU we were clearly the better team. Same with Clemson

Reactions: orangebloodgmc

VN Store

Back