Phil Steele Top 40

HooahVol

I like Phil Steele, I really do. I think he knows his stuff and generally has been favorable to Tennessee. But he just released his top pre-season 40 and I have a bone to pick:

1. Georgia
2. Clemson
3. Michigan
4. Alabama
5. Ohio State
6. Penn State
7. USC
8. Florida State
9. LSU
10. Notre Dame
11. Texas
12. Texas A&M
13. Wisconsin
14. Washington
15. Oregon
16. Utah
17. Iowa
18. Oregon State
19. Tennessee
20. Oklahoma
21. North Carolina
22. Toledo
23. Pittsburgh
24. UTSA
25. TCU
26. Ole Miss
27. South Alabama
28. UCLA
29. Kansas State
30. Miami
31. South Carolina
32. SMU
33. Boise State
34. Tulane
35. Kentucky
36. Air Force
37. NC State
38. Illinois
39. Texas Tech
40. Maryland

OK, I will give him the benefit of the doubt on putting LSU over us in the SEC. We play both Bama and UGA whereas LSU only plays Bama. But to put A&M above us is a slap in the face. And, honestly, to put us all the way down to #19 shows Heupel still is not getting the respect he deserves. Again, I like Steele and he probably has some statistic like Milton's lifetime completion percentage or some crap like that to justify us but I sincerely think we are a top ten team.

Preseason picks are preseason picks. Where were we last year and how did we end up? I'm not saying his list is right, but I think this team has some uncertainty. It's also thin in some areas. Given the schedule, I can see 10 wins and I can see 8. At the end of the day...in July no less...it's really meaningless.

Phil Steele is very likeable so he get a lot of love from radio guys. He has been good to a point but he and I don't blame him emphasizes his right on picks and eliminates his big misses. Radio sports personality having him as a guest and they really like him so he gets softball questions, never a zinger. He has a following and these guys have a show so they want him to come back. He's selling something so he knows the landscape and a good navigator, who has a good reputation.

I like Phil Steele, I really do. I think he knows his stuff and generally has been favorable to Tennessee. But he just released his top pre-season 40 and I have a bone to pick:

1. Georgia
2. Clemson
3. Michigan
4. Alabama
5. Ohio State
6. Penn State
7. USC
8. Florida State
9. LSU
10. Notre Dame
11. Texas
12. Texas A&M
13. Wisconsin
14. Washington
15. Oregon
16. Utah
17. Iowa
18. Oregon State
19. Tennessee
20. Oklahoma
21. North Carolina
22. Toledo
23. Pittsburgh
24. UTSA
25. TCU
26. Ole Miss
27. South Alabama
28. UCLA
29. Kansas State
30. Miami
31. South Carolina
32. SMU
33. Boise State
34. Tulane
35. Kentucky
36. Air Force
37. NC State
38. Illinois
39. Texas Tech
40. Maryland

OK, I will give him the benefit of the doubt on putting LSU over us in the SEC. We play both Bama and UGA whereas LSU only plays Bama. But to put A&M above us is a slap in the face. And, honestly, to put us all the way down to #19 shows Heupel still is not getting the respect he deserves. Again, I like Steele and he probably has some statistic like Milton's lifetime completion percentage or some crap like that to justify us but I sincerely think we are a top ten team.

I get that nobody knows if Milton will fully replace or surpass the Hooker magic till we prove it.

But #19 is silly. Last year was not lightning in a bottle, it is the beginning of CJH’s system. I think 9-12 is probably more reasonable.

Really surprised at Wisconsin being that high. I’m a big Luke Fickell fan, but that seems pretty high considering a complete change in system under a first year head coach.

Very easy schedule for the badgers this upcoming season. I want to know what is up with Iowa being in the top 20? They were absolute garbage last year. Notre Dame and Texas will most likely disappoint again too.

Reactions: Frozevol
I think the Clemson love is from their hiring Garrett Riley at OC. It was a great hire for sure but I can't see him turning around their anemic offense in one summer.

Reactions: DonDiego
Milton has a lot of doubters. Oline is a question mark. Secondary was just awful last year. So I get it. Different year, different team.

I think the takeaway from Steele‘s ranking is that he’s not convinced Milton will play near Hooker’s level.

Last edited:
Reactions: njvols
There are some dog whistles among his picks.

Tennessee is one of those. Steele's formula (or what Steele fed into it) clearly think Milton won't come close to Hooker. There are doubters out there; he's one.

Notre Dame is another indicator. Steele lists three (THREE) of ND's opponents higher than the Irish: Clemson at #2, Ohio State at #5, and USCw at #7. Presumably, he expects each of those teams to beat the fellas from South Bend, Indiana. You don't get to #2, #5, or #7 losing many games. Then again, you shouldn't be able to get to #10 losing three games in the regular season, either. But there they are.

So Steele is clearly not "playing the season out" in his head, to see how he thinks each chip is going to land. Instead, he's using some system, some combination of metrics in a formula. And any system, no matter how good, can come up with quirky results.

That's why most folks who run ranking systems reserve the right to nudge the results after the computer finishes calculating. To get things "common sense" again.

Seems brother Steele didn't do that.

I wouldn't put too much weight on this poll. Steele's often right, sure, but he's also badly wrong on a more frequent basis than his reputation might indicate.

Go Vols!

VN Store

Back