Phil Steele Top 40

These summertime seasonal predictions are totally meaningless. I mean…they really are. We have a couple of major road test and are working with several key personnel being replaced. Haven’t made it EVEN TO FALL PRACTICE yet so injuries can have a major impact on our season. Let’s agree not to waste a valuable emotional energy on these things and ride this horse come fall! Phil is doing what they do…putting out meaningless summer polls😂. He’s a sport journalist (???) doing his job.

Reactions: ntxVOL
We just continue to keep dropping in all these preseason rankings

Iowa ahead of us? Bahaha. Did he forget they can't score?

We would be easy double digit favorites over them and literally no one would consider picking them to beat us.

Then it seems like EVERYONE is giving A&M the benefit of the doubt. In what world should people feel more confident in them than us?

They are really banking on the orange bowl being a fluke and our defense not improving whatsoever. Even though the odds are our offense will be great like every single Heupel offense ever and our defense will be better since we are deeper, more experienced and more talented than we were last year.

Reactions: orangebloodgmc
Look, I get what you’re saying, and it’s reasonable. But just because Florida shite the bed down the stretch doesn’t mean TN played weak competition. It’s not our fault we abused Slovis so bad, he quit on his team and transferred to BYU, then dominated LSU, Kentucky, and Clemson. Part of the reason the competition looked off is because TN beat them so bad. Sure Bama missed the playoff, but they had 2 top 5 picks and missed ATL by like 3 points. You wouldn’t put an asterisk next to 07 LSU because the year was so wonky would you? And progression with lesser talent has basically been Heupel’s MO since he got here.

That being said I’m fine with the ranking. Would rather start low and be hungry.

I wasn't talking about UF, though we are (and have been) down. I meant more Alabama having a subpar team/season (by Alabama standards).

Don't get me wrong, it was a great season for UT and they deserved their lofty ranking at the end. I just meant that if you want to get some credit for that kind of season in these preseaon rankings, especially where your key component to the whole thing graduated, you need some continuity there.

I like Phil Steele, I really do. I think he knows his stuff and generally has been favorable to Tennessee. But he just released his top pre-season 40 and I have a bone to pick:

1. Georgia
2. Clemson
3. Michigan
4. Alabama
5. Ohio State
6. Penn State
7. USC
8. Florida State
9. LSU
10. Notre Dame
11. Texas
12. Texas A&M
13. Wisconsin
14. Washington
15. Oregon
16. Utah
17. Iowa
18. Oregon State
19. Tennessee
20. Oklahoma
21. North Carolina
22. Toledo
23. Pittsburgh
24. UTSA
25. TCU
26. Ole Miss
27. South Alabama
28. UCLA
29. Kansas State
30. Miami
31. South Carolina
32. SMU
33. Boise State
34. Tulane
35. Kentucky
36. Air Force
37. NC State
38. Illinois
39. Texas Tech
40. Maryland

OK, I will give him the benefit of the doubt on putting LSU over us in the SEC. We play both Bama and UGA whereas LSU only plays Bama. But to put A&M above us is a slap in the face. And, honestly, to put us all the way down to #19 shows Heupel still is not getting the respect he deserves. Again, I like Steele and he probably has some statistic like Milton's lifetime completion percentage or some crap like that to justify us but I sincerely think we are a top ten team.

It looks wack, but I think he is discounting Milton and our defense. He is pulling a Butch and going by the data. We are going to have to show were more than a flash in the pan.

We just continue to keep dropping in all these preseason rankings

Iowa ahead of us? Bahaha. Did he forget they can't score?

We would be easy double digit favorites over them and literally no one would consider picking them to beat us.

Then it seems like EVERYONE is giving A&M the benefit of the doubt. In what world should people feel more confident in them than us?

They are really banking on the orange bowl being a fluke and our defense not improving whatsoever. Even though the odds are our offense will be great like every single Heupel offense ever and our defense will be better since we are deeper, more experienced and more talented than we were last year.
A&M has been higher in the recruiting rankings the last 4-5 years. One would assume they have better talent, at least many who are counting wins and loses are. It doesn't bother me at all that that is happening. We do have a few holes to fill from last year's roster. QB play is essential and that depends on a number of thing. How good will our Oline be? How good will our WRs be? Will the defense be good enough to get the offense back on the field without giving up scores? And of course, will Milton be good enough to lead the offense to average 48 points a game? So, there are a lot of questions and they will not be answered until next November is over. I think we will be 10-2 or 9-3 and will be happy with either.

Clemson at #2 is ludacris. Was not all that impressed with Klubnik. Notre Dame, Wisconsin, and Texas A&M are all extremely overrated in Phil's poll. Tennessee will be almost a double digit favorite against A&M at home, by the time that game comes around.
Have you seen Clemson's schedule

Clemson at #2 is a shocker to me. They better be a whole lot improved from last year if they end up that much higher than us.

Yup, BUT if you go back and listen to the announcers of the Orange bowl game you'll know why, All the bad throws, reads, and sacks Klubnic made will just be better cause he'll learn from it. Milton however has no chance whatsoever of being that good again or even progressing!!!

These turds just gotta find something to polish during the off season. Same smell with alittle more shine!!!!

This looks pretty accurate tbh, Clemson is probably projected to be #2 because of who they play..

I like Phil Steele, I really do. I think he knows his stuff and generally has been favorable to Tennessee. But he just released his top pre-season 40 and I have a bone to pick:

1. Georgia
2. Clemson
3. Michigan
4. Alabama
5. Ohio State
6. Penn State
7. USC
8. Florida State
9. LSU
10. Notre Dame
11. Texas
12. Texas A&M
13. Wisconsin
14. Washington
15. Oregon
16. Utah
17. Iowa
18. Oregon State
19. Tennessee
20. Oklahoma
21. North Carolina
22. Toledo
23. Pittsburgh
24. UTSA
25. TCU
26. Ole Miss
27. South Alabama
28. UCLA
29. Kansas State
30. Miami
31. South Carolina
32. SMU
33. Boise State
34. Tulane
35. Kentucky
36. Air Force
37. NC State
38. Illinois
39. Texas Tech
40. Maryland

OK, I will give him the benefit of the doubt on putting LSU over us in the SEC. We play both Bama and UGA whereas LSU only plays Bama. But to put A&M above us is a slap in the face. And, honestly, to put us all the way down to #19 shows Heupel still is not getting the respect he deserves. Again, I like Steele and he probably has some statistic like Milton's lifetime completion percentage or some crap like that to justify us but I sincerely think we are a top ten team.

1. Georgia
2. Clemson
3. Michigan
4. Alabama
5. Ohio State
6. Penn State
7. USC
8. Florida State
9. LSU
10. Notre Dame
11. Texas
12. Texas A&M
13. Wisconsin
14. Washington
15. Oregon
16. Utah
17. Iowa
18. Oregon State
19. Tennessee
20. Oklahoma
21. North Carolina
22. Toledo
23. Pittsburgh
24. UTSA
25. TCU
26. Ole Miss
27. South Alabama
28. UCLA
29. Kansas State
30. Miami
31. South Carolina
32. SMU
33. Boise State
34. Tulane
35. Kentucky
36. Air Force
37. NC State
38. Illinois
39. Texas Tech
40. Maryland

I stopped after I seen Clemson at 2 😂😂

Really surprised at Wisconsin being that high. I’m a big Luke Fickell fan, but that seems pretty high considering a complete change in system under a first year head coach.
Look at UW’s schedule. They will lose to OSU but don’t play Michigan or PSU. They get Iowa at home but other than than that may have a tough time in Pullman vs WSU and at Purdue but even if they drop one of those they’ll be 10-2. So yeah, they can easily end up in the top 10.

Reactions: RDU VOL#14
This list is straight a$$. Tennessee has a lot to prove that last year wasn't a fluke but 19 is a little ridiculous.. especially with Clemson at 2? The whole list outside of UGA at 1 could be highly debated. But it's Phil Steele who has had a few questionable takes over years. Plus is preseason so who really cares. Show up and play in September and the rest will shake out as it always does.

Look at UW’s schedule. They will lose to OSU but don’t play Michigan or PSU. They get Iowa at home but other than than that may have a tough time in Pullman vs WSU and at Purdue but even if they drop one of those they’ll be 10-2. So yeah, they can easily end up in the top 10.
I agree w/ you. I posted something later in the thread basically saying the same thing. Their schedule is pretty easy. Like you said Pullman is never easy to go and get a win, but the rest of it lines up pretty well outside of OSU.

Reactions: Frozevol
Finishing 19th would have us in that 9 win range(being an SEC 9 win team might get us closer to 15 or so, but that's splitting hairs), which is a more than reasonable prediction. Losing a win based off OL and QB production dropping is fair.

History says so . We’ll see . FTR I hate Texas, I just feel like they’re due. If Ewers plays well they have the skill guys to be really good.
True. Ewers is so inconsistent though and I saw games last year where he played well and they still lost as the D was porous. Granted, the Big 12 had some good offensive teams last year. Also, Texas lost Bijan Robinson since he is now a member of the Falcons and I’m excited to see what he does since I’m a Falcons fan. I will say the Big 12 seems ripe for the taking though and they certainly have a shot at Bama without Young to bail them out. I hope Bama beats them though. I want Bama unblemished at home when we roll in there and whip them!

I did like your note about Duke though (I think that was you). I do think they’ll upset Clemson.

Reactions: RDU VOL#14
Vols had a great season last year. But to get the respect you are talking about over the long haul I think Heupel needs to show that last year was more than a fluke of the right QB meeting the right system at the right time agreed had you stopped there. Show progress with lesser talent beat several rosters with better talent last year including your Gators. Box checked. Show the ability to switch gears to, for example, a grind it out running game when that is where the strength is this is silly as he’s not going to recruit that kind of team but he did adjust to include an under center short yardage package from year 1 to year 2 and we were way better once we did. Box checked in my eyes. And do it when the competition is solid rather than a bit off this is just an excuse. Bama had the number 1 pick and he was on fire. We still won. You all got every break from your coach gambling like crazy and it pretty much always working to an onside kick to Richardson playing the game of his life and it still wasn’t enough. Yes you all were down overall but you beat Utah early and your roster had tons of talent according to recruiting rankings. Bama finished top 5. LSU was strong and we decimated them on the road. They win the West of course. We destroyed Clemson who was ACC champ. .
I get you’re a Gator so your view is a little off but see above in orange.

I think Iowa averaged 3 points a game on offense last season and they had about four defenders drafted.

Clemson and the Pac12-2 teams don't play anybody.

There's a bylaw that ND must always be in the pre-season top 10.
That South Dakota St-Iowa game last year was atrocious. Iowa won 7-3 but didn’t score a TD. Oh no, a FG and 2 safeties. Both teams combined didn’t hit 300 yards. I’ve never seen that in modern football.

VN Store

Back