PC gamers

lol, Dawn of War 3 is on the Steam summer sale after being launched 2 months ago. thats pretty un heard of itself, but for it to be 25% you know it is failing hard. This is why I don't listen to the critics, they had raved about the game.

Not sure what was up with the name Freak, that's how Steam is emailing me. I will try to add you.

and indeed. If you need a series you can lose your soul to and strategy games are your thing Total War is one of the best out there.

My steam tag is iiiswiliii for anyone who wants to add. I have PUBG but not much else currently. Been running thru the Enderal Skyrim mod mostly - open to FPS and Strats and usually only on after 9pm EST

Not sure what was up with the name Freak, that's how Steam is emailing me. I will try to add you.

Yeah, I think there's a login name and a public name. That's how it was for next anyway. Let me know.

and indeed. If you need a series you can lose your soul to and strategy games are your thing Total War is one of the best out there.

I'm interested in trying it out if I know where to start.

Which game would be good to start with? There seem to be several.

If you like history, pick a time period you like.

Shogun 2 if you are interested in Japanese history and the scenery of Japan and samurai.

Empire if you are interested in 1700s and colonization and muskets and what not with line infantry. This is the only one where you use primarily firearms. It has a very large map of the world in comparison to the others.

Medieval 2 may be outdated but it's a personal favorite. The crusades, the mongol invasion, the bubonic plague, etc were all great in game events that made the time period a fun one to play in.

Rome 1 is a fantastic game but probably outdated. It's a personal favorite for most older total war fanactics. Rome 2 is also a great game, although many people thought it was underwhelming at release. It wasn't perfect or fulfilled the expectations for a Rome sequel, but it's a solid game nontheless.

Attila is a good game as well. I find the situation to be pretty unique compared to the others.This is the first game that allowed you to show citizens in real time battle and allowed for fire to affect the actual city and burn down buildings. You can also raze cities off the map and turn them to desolate regions. It really emphasizes destruction.

Warhammer is the newest and probably the most unique as it has no historical context but is entirely fantasy. History fanactics were disappointed but I thought the execution on this game was excellent. I don't know enough about the lore like louder, but from a gameplay standpoint it has the most substance and diversity among the different factions and characters. Watching your giant absolutely demolish the enemy is quite entertaining.

I'm interested in trying it out if I know where to start.

Like the others have said it depends on what time period you are looking for. Once you play one of them you can play any of them.

My favorite is Warhammer Total War, but as the newest it will be the most expensive. if you are looking for a cheaper option to get your toes wet Empire is still one of my favorites but its not old enough to be completely outdated.

Each one adds a bit that the last game didn't have.

launch release was:
Shogun
Medieval
Rome
Medieval 2
Empire
Napoleon (not worth it, pretty much the same as Empire, including time period)
Shogun
Rome 2
Attila (kinda like Empire and Napoleon, too close to Rome 2 to be a first one to jump into imo)
Warhammer

Just out of curiosity, anyone want to share your build? I have had this beast for about 5 months. Don't have too many games yet, but it will absolutely smoke some games that I have tested!

MSI Z170A Mobo
I5-6600k processor
EVGA GTX 1070 Graphics card

This is my first build, so I'm fresh to the PC gaming scene. Still a lot to learn yet.

Attachments

• IMG_20170423_224834197.jpg
    IMG_20170423_224834197.jpg
    41.3 KB · Views: 5
Paladins is a solid game. Kind of an Overwatch clone, but good stuff. On PC and PS4.

Freemium game...free to download and play with paid enhancements and unlocks.

Just out of curiosity, anyone want to share your build? I have had this beast for about 5 months. Don't have too many games yet, but it will absolutely smoke some games that I have tested!

MSI Z170A Mobo
I5-6600k processor

This is my first build, so I'm fresh to the PC gaming scene. Still a lot to learn yet.

Wanna share that wallpaper? :)

As for my build, I'm new to the PC market also. Picked this up recently to supplement my aging iMac. Used for gaming, video editing, etc.

Liquid cooled i-7 7700k
240GB Kingston SSD + 1TB 7200RPM HDD (more storage coming soon)
MSI Z270 PC MATE motherboard
Kingston HYPERX FURY 8GB DDR4-2400 RAM
Asus GTX 1080 8GB VIDEO CARD
LG Bluray Burner

My biggest issue is finding software equivalents of OSX programs I've used for years. That's the downside for me so far.

Paladins is a solid game. Kind of an Overwatch clone, but good stuff. On PC and PS4.

Freemium game...free to download and play with paid enhancements and unlocks.

I hope you're here recruiting some talent for us. We need some non-randoms to play with. lol.

MSI Z170A Mobo
I5-6600k processor

Intel i7 7700
EVGA 980 Ti
16 GB Corsair RAM
ASUS Z270 motherboard
Acer X34 Predator 3440x1440 @ 100 hz IPS G-Sync monitor

I upgraded to that from

AMD Phenom II 965 x4
AMD 7850
4 GB RAM
ASUS AM2 motherboard
ASUS 1920x1080 60 hz LCD monitor

The 980 Ti overclocks really well and easily handles games even at 3440x1440. I thought I was going to have to upgrade to a 1080 Ti but I'm set for another few years.

Intel i7 7700
EVGA 980 Ti
16 GB Corsair RAM
ASUS Z270 motherboard
Acer X34 Predator 3440x1440 @ 100 hz IPS G-Sync monitor

I upgraded to that from

AMD Phenom II 965 x4
AMD 7850
4 GB RAM
ASUS AM2 motherboard
ASUS 1920x1080 60 hz LCD monitor

The 980 Ti overclocks really well and easily handles games even at 3440x1440. I thought I was going to have to upgrade to a 1080 Ti but I'm set for another few years.
How do you like the Predator monitor? What's the aspect ratio on that?

I have to admit it was weird the first time Freak popped up on Steam. Kinda felt like a teacher was playing too.

CPU: Intel i7-4960X Six Core 3.60ghz
RAM: 32gb DDR3
ASUS P9X79 mother board
NVIDIA Geforce GTX 760 4gb x 2

its from 2014, so its getting time for some upgrades. I can still run 99% of new games on ultra, but not maxed out anymore.

Reactions: 1 person
I have to admit it was weird the first time Freak popped up on Steam. Kinda felt like a teacher was playing too.

CPU: Intel i7-4960X Six Core 3.60ghz
RAM: 32gb DDR3
ASUS P9X79 mother board
NVIDIA Geforce GTX 760 4gb x 2

its from 2014, so its getting time for some upgrades. I can still run 99% of new games on ultra, but not maxed out anymore.

You were on kinda late. Shouldn't you have been doing your homework?

How do you like the Predator monitor? What's the aspect ratio on that?

It's 21:9 aspect ratio (ultrawide) and absolutely glorious. I use it for work as well and can have two windows open nearly full-size side-by-side. It really makes the old two monitor setup feel obsolete.

And of course, it's also incredible for gaming. The resolution is sick--not quite 4K but a little better than 1440p--and the 100 hz refresh rate + G-Sync makes everything super smooth. Plus, it's IPS, so the colors and viewing angles are excellent.

My setup:

i7-something from a few years ago
GTX 660 with 2 gigs of DDR5 ram (wow!!!)
24 gigs of ram (2 8s and 2 4s that were around)
2 27" monitors (LG and AOC)
24" Benq monitor
An SSD and a bunch of other drives

Still runs everything pretty well. Will probably upgrade the video card this fall. Curious to see Destiny run on this setup in August.

Last edited:
It's 21:9 aspect ratio (ultrawide) and absolutely glorious. I use it for work as well and can have two windows open nearly full-size side-by-side. It really makes the old two monitor setup feel obsolete.

And of course, it's also incredible for gaming. The resolution is sick--not quite 4K but a little better than 1440p--and the 100 hz refresh rate + G-Sync makes everything super smooth. Plus, it's IPS, so the colors and viewing angles are excellent.

Sounds fantastic. I'd love to have a 4k with gsync but the ultrawide sounds nice.

My setup:

i7-something from a few years ago
GTX 660 with 2 gigs of DDR5 ram (wow!!!)
24 gigs of ram (2 8s and 2 4s that were around)
2 27" monitors (LG and AOC)
24" Benq monitor
An SSD and a bunch of other drives

Still runs everything pretty well. Will probably upgrade the video card this fall. Curious to see Destiny run on this setup in August.

I upgraded my GTX 660 2GB to a GTX 1070 FTW 8GB. So happy I made the jump.

Sounds fantastic. I'd love to have a 4k with gsync but the ultrawide sounds nice.

The drawback to 4K monitors right now is that they're all (save for maybe one or two) limited to 60 hz, and even pushing that requires a 1080 Ti, at least if you want to max out settings.

Monitors are about to get crazy good but also crazy expensive. There are a few ultrawides and 16:9s in the pipeline that will have HDR and 200 hz refresh rates. They'll probably cost $1,500 though.

I probably won't upgrade from the Predator until OLED has hit "mainstream" prices in monitors. The LG OLED 4K TVs are gorgeous.

VN Store

Back