PC gamers

I know little in regards to how comparable the laptop versions are to the desktop versions of the 1000 series GPU's. But, I was kind of in your boat when looking at a new GPU. I upgraded from a EVGA GTX 660 SC and was originally looking at the 1060 SC. However, I ended up buying the EVGA GTX 1070 FTW and am extremely happy with the card. Obviously rig GPU's are always going to be better than laptop GPU's. But, if you can sway yourself the jump from 1060 to 1070 can be worth it depending on what games you play.

Also, I think your main concern here is figuring out which kind to get (laptop or rig). I think the main question you gotta answer is: do you want to game while on the road? If so, I think that may answer that question.

Now that I really think about it, I honestly don't game very much on the road (although I did when I first bought this laptop). I find that laptop screens are pretty terrible for gaming.

I think I'm going to sell my current gaming laptop and my ancient desktop, build a new gaming desktop, and buy a cheap $300 laptop for when I travel.

I'm mostly on League of Legends, but I'll play a little counter strike GO, Squad, Starcraft 2 or Rust. Also just built my own pc a few months back.

Now that I really think about it, I honestly don't game very much on the road (although I did when I first bought this laptop). I find that laptop screens are pretty terrible for gaming.

I think I'm going to sell my current gaming laptop and my ancient desktop, build a new gaming desktop, and buy a cheap $300 laptop for when I travel.

If you want a gaming laptop be ready to fork over some huge cash compared to a gaming rig. My Alienware 13 has an 860M and even that has trouble playing some of the games I like to play. My unlce has an Alienware 18 that runs games great, but that thing costed so much more money than my current 13 model. I do enjoy my 13, though.

I think that is a good decision. Just don't forget to sway yourself from the 1060 to the 1070. It's worth it :)

If you want a gaming laptop be ready to fork over some huge cash compared to a gaming rig. My Alienware 13 has an 860M and even that has trouble playing some of the games I like to play. My unlce has an Alienware 18 that runs games great, but that thing costed so much more money than my current 13 model. I do enjoy my 13, though.

I think that is a good decision. Just don't forget to sway yourself from the 1060 to the 1070. It's worth it :)
There are some super powerful laptops though my 980m runs everything at ultra with at least 60 frames

You learn something new every day I guess. I just have never had great experiences with my laptops for gaming.

Same here, I never had any luck with a laptop. I do love the desktop I built, I can work on it alot better.

Only heard of it. Is it a survival game? What's the stuff on it?

Survival game, been in early access on steam since '13. Very in depth crafting system, but it's much more focused on zombie defense than other games in the genre.

My brother and I have a standing date every week on our private server. It's loads of fun if you play with someone.

Survival game, been in early access on steam since '13. Very in depth crafting system, but it's much more focused on zombie defense than other games in the genre.

My brother and I have a standing date every week on our private server. It's loads of fun if you play with someone.

Tried the starvation mod?

Anyone have a 1440p or 144hz monitor?

Really interested in going that route should I upgrade. Seems like getting one that's capable of both might be overkill unless I buy a 1080 Ti or something. Would likely need to upgrade my GPU in a year just to keep pace with the latest games. Thinking 1080p 144hz is more do-able, but at the same time, I would love to have the increased workspace that 1440p provides.

I play 7 days on PS4. You can tell it's definitely a pc game, but it's still fun. I'm not very good yet.

Hmm, I will have to watch some videos about it then. Tbh, I've gotten bored with the whole zombie thing. But, if the game is well laid out with the crafting then that can make up for it.

Finally started the process of buying my new rig. I'm buying each part that I want as it goes on sale.

Ordered the i5 7600k, AMD 480 (MSI overclocked version), ASRock motherboard (highest rated I could find), and 16 GB Corsair RAM. Now I essentially just need a case and PSU (going to reuse my laptop's 850 Evo SSD) and I'll be ready to roll.

It's funny...I'm not wealthy by any means, but I do have a little cash nowadays. But I'm still stuck in broke 16-year-old mode when ordering parts. I'm 100% positive that I will be blown away by the performance of this PC, but I'm already getting a little buyer's remorse about not just going all out and getting the i7 7700k and a 1080 Ti.

Oh well. The option to upgrade is always there in the future.

Anybody play any of the Arma games? Seems way more realistic than say the Battlefield series.

That series looks amazing graphically, but I feel like the multiplayer would be extremely unfriendly to beginners. They are definitely "hardcore" multiplayer games.

That series looks amazing graphically, but I feel like the multiplayer would be extremely unfriendly to beginners. They are definitely "hardcore" multiplayer games.

Like any new game you have to take your lumps (controls, learning maps) to get better. I used to be exclusively PC from 2003 to 2012. Didn't really have a place for my complete pc setup until recently.

Waiting for the rest of my parts to arrive to complete my build, but went ahead and hooked up my new 29" 21:9 2560x1080 IPS monitor.

Holy. Crap. I'm coming from a 23.8" 1080p monitor made in 2010. The colors and overall brightness are amazing, but the ultrawide format is a game changer. Gaming on this thing is an absolute joy, and surprisingly, almost all modern games support 21:9 either natively or with a few minor tweaks.

Had to come back to your post after playing Arma III to say you're correct. Lol

It is not like turning on Battlefield on the pc and loading out straight in to a map. Hundreds of mods. You have to type in a bar to loadout. The maps are enormous and you find yourself stuck at a spawn trying to get halfway on the other aide of the country.

Playing the campaign to learn all the keyboard functions. Alot harder than any FPS on the PC that I have ever played.

Had to come back to your post after playing Arma III to say you're correct. Lol

It is not like turning on Battlefield on the pc and loading out straight in to a map. Hundreds of mods. You have to type in a bar to loadout. The maps are enormous and you find yourself stuck at a spawn trying to get halfway on the other aide of the country.

Playing the campaign to learn all the keyboard functions. Alot harder than any FPS on the PC that I have ever played.

Haha, I've watched videos of people playing it on YouTube. They treat it very seriously. They're all miced up together and using military lingo to coordinate their movements.

Engaging another group in a firefight is a huge ordeal and they'll shoot at each other for 10 minutes without anyone dying because they move so slowly and stay behind cover the entire time.

Off topic, but didn't see a thread and can't start one. If anyone is interested in joining an alliance in Dominations on mobile, GBO is one designed for Vol fans but open to anyone. Need more members in order to fight in world wars.

VN Store

Back