Paul Finebaum on UT hire

The reality of the SEC is that it's
Tier 1: Alabama
Tier 2: A&M, Florida, Georgia, LSU, Auburn
Tier 3: Everyone Else

None of the school administrations in Tier 3 really care about winning as long as the SEC network money keeps flowing.

We'll spend the next few years with Heupel trying to fight our way to the top of Tier 3, while half the fanbase deludes itself into believing we are in, or about to be in Tier 2, but in reality, we are now just another Tier 3 SEC team.

Decades of mismanagement have put the program where it is now.
I wonder if Auburn stays top tier. They just spent a generation's worth of money for a sideways hire. I think Harsin is a great coach, but I don't think Auburn maintains unless Orgeron implodes into the future.

None of the school administrations in Tier 3 really care about winning as long as the SEC network money keeps flowing.

We'll spend the next few years with Heupel trying to fight our way to the top of Tier 3, while half the fanbase deludes itself into believing we are in, or about to be in Tier 2, but in reality, we are now just another Tier 3 SEC team.

double post

I wonder if Auburn stays top tier. They just spent a generation's worth of money for a sideways hire. I think Harsin is a great coach, but I don't think Auburn maintains unless Orgeron implodes into the future.

I don't know, but any school willing to piss away that kind of money in firing a winning coach because he hasn't 'won enough', is at least trying to be more than fluff on their competitor's schedules.

Though, I could see that hire sinking them into Tier 3 if Harsin can't cut it in SEC, and no one will pony up the cash to replace him.

I know they are guilty, but I'll believe they get hit when I see it.
LSU is coming. I think this is O’s last year. And Kirby has been real brazen passing out cash. I know a certain player he got 2 years ago that got paid handsomely at the 11th hour to go there.

Pawl is an elephant-eared troll fanning the flames of ignorance while searching for relevancy to a larger audience - finding little success other than those with little ability to process for themselves.

That's all

Last edited:
It's such a BS narrative.

The only "home run hires" of the past 2 decades have been Saban at Bama, Urban Meyer at Ohio State, and Jim Harbaugh at Michigan; and the last of those "home run hires" hasn't even totally worked out.

All the other great coaches hired were considered disappointing by a large portion of the fanbase:

Pete Carroll at USC
Dabo Swinney at Clemson
Mark Richt at Georgia
Bob Stoops at Oklahoma
Matt Campbell at Iowa State
Mike Gundy at OK State
Mack Brown at UNC
Kirby Smart at Georgia

All considered risky or even outright bad hires. The Pete Carroll and Dabo Swinney hires, in particular, were trashed mercilessly, before turning out to be 2 of the best college coaches of the 21st Century.

There aren't a whole lot of "home run hires" out there and they are rarely available even for the top jobs.
1611885584908.gif

It's such a BS narrative.

The only "home run hires" of the past 2 decades have been Saban at Bama, Urban Meyer at Ohio State, and Jim Harbaugh at Michigan; and the last of those "home run hires" hasn't even totally worked out.

All the other great coaches hired were considered disappointing by a large portion of the fanbase:

Pete Carroll at USC
Dabo Swinney at Clemson
Mark Richt at Georgia
Bob Stoops at Oklahoma
Matt Campbell at Iowa State
Mike Gundy at OK State
Mack Brown at UNC
Kirby Smart at Georgia

All considered risky or even outright bad hires. The Pete Carroll and Dabo Swinney hires, in particular, were trashed mercilessly, before turning out to be 2 of the best college coaches of the 21st Century.

There aren't a whole lot of "home run hires" out there and they are rarely available even for the top jobs.

One of my personal favorites is Chip Kelly. By all accounts, he was a home run hire. I remember much of Volnation lamenting that he was going to Florida before UCLA swooped in.

The point is that you’re correct. There’s no guarantee as to how things will turn out.

Now, would I feel better if it had been Freeze or Campbell? Yes. But, then we begin traversing the terrain of where our program is. And we’re simply not in a position to pull a coach of that caliber.

Attachments

• 39E20FA5-7ECB-43D7-AA15-3B9A553FA5C0.jpeg
    39E20FA5-7ECB-43D7-AA15-3B9A553FA5C0.jpeg
    495.8 KB · Views: 11
  • DCF27844-5A95-4F21-877F-5326D8F6C59C.jpeg
    DCF27844-5A95-4F21-877F-5326D8F6C59C.jpeg
    550.4 KB · Views: 11
  • 0060F54E-204E-4DD2-8F87-21F96897371F.jpeg
    0060F54E-204E-4DD2-8F87-21F96897371F.jpeg
    375.2 KB · Views: 9
I see some upside to this hire I did not support.
My question is how do people feel about the SEC Networks hire of its biggest talking s?!t head?
Do people actually watch that garbage? Man I used to watch ESPN religiously but rarely watch anything other than live sports now. The shows are so over the top now, everyone wants to be “woke” and the same 6-8 talking heads are shoving their lame stupid hot takes down our throat, all day long. I do like the SECN pre and post game studio guys for football and basketball and from time to time I can stomach PTI. Paul Finebaum is the worst show on any sports network, hands down.
GBO!!

Reactions: onevol74

Hell Bearded, we don’t know what Heupel is going to do here. He may turn out to be a legend? But your point about the SECN money is spot on and we’re in agreement about your other statements as well.
GBO!!

I hadn’t really thought about it but maybe Harsin and Heupel change the way the SEC plays and become the trendsetters with their offenses. All it would take is a couple of upsets.
I’m trying to be optimistic here, at least with Heupel.
GBO!!

VN Store

Back