Paul Finebaum on UT hire

His biggest problem was he couldn't run an offense if his life depended on it

Pruitt doesn’t have the mental capacity to be a head coach. He had terrible feel for the game. Stupid decision after stupid decisions. Hell, he wasn’t all that great as a DC except at Alabama with Saban. Jones almost hung 50 on him in Knoxville in 2015.

Pruitt doesn’t have the mental capacity to be a head coach. He had terrible feel for the game. Stupid decision after stupid decisions. Hell, he wasn’t all that great as a DC except at Alabama with Saban. Jones almost hung 50 on him in Knoxville in 2015.
Hur Hur Corn Bread .... aight

Hell Bearded, we don’t know what Heupel is going to do here. He may turn out to be a legend? But your point about the SECN money is spot on and we’re in agreement about your other statements as well.
GBO!!

Well, true, not 100%, but we kind of do have a general sense of where he's at. For coaches in the price range that UT wants to pay, he's a decent option, but you get what you pay for. We all know this, we've all seen it time and time again over the last twenty years with the increasing amount of money that's generated by CFB.

If he gets the QB he wants, we'll probably float up to the top of Tier 3 with 5-3 SEC record a couple of times while he's here, might even knock out Florida or Georgia once. "Tennessee is back!" will once again grace every game thread, where a close loss will inspire dreams of "next year". It's not sustainable though. If we gave Huepel 10 years he'd probably go through 2-4 boom-bust cycles, but we're not recruiting on a level to get into and get in and stay in Tier 2, and as long as the money is flowing, the administration won't care to fire himl and go with another hire that fits our tier once fans get tired of dealing with that reality.

Reactions: cobbwebb0710
It's such a BS narrative.

The only "home run hires" of the past 2 decades have been Saban at Bama, Urban Meyer at Ohio State, and Jim Harbaugh at Michigan; and the last of those "home run hires" hasn't even totally worked out.

All the other great coaches hired were considered disappointing by a large portion of the fanbase:

Pete Carroll at USC
Dabo Swinney at Clemson
Mark Richt at Georgia
Bob Stoops at Oklahoma
Matt Campbell at Iowa State
Mike Gundy at OK State
Mack Brown at UNC
Kirby Smart at Georgia

All considered risky or even outright bad hires. The Pete Carroll and Dabo Swinney hires, in particular, were trashed mercilessly, before turning out to be 2 of the best college coaches of the 21st Century.

There aren't a whole lot of "home run hires" out there and they are rarely available even for the top jobs.
A&M...

He looked like a good hire to a lot of people, including myself. His biggest problem was he was too damn hard headed and refused to let anyone help him. Pruitt was his own worst enemy

Think I can honestly say I never had any thoughts that Pruitt was going to be a long term solution here.

And I guarantee if Pruitt had come from anywhere other than Bama, Finebaum and other media types wouldnt have been nearly as supportive of him.

Watch Paul! When it came to Coach Josh being announced, he responded like a delusional fan🙄 "underwhelming hire ", blah, blah, tenn is in the tank, (But then again! I'll always have my Nicky) he never let's me down😍.

PERSONALLY I DO NOT BELIEVE PAUL FINEBAUM IS RELEVENT !!!! HE HAS HIS HEAD TOO FAR UP NICK SABANS BUTT !!!!!!!

Finebaum has the loudest voice in the conference. He’s entertainment but everyone watches or is exposed to his takes through social media. Having him against you just adds to the headwind and makes it harder to move forward.

Finebaum has the loudest voice in the conference. He’s entertainment but everyone watches or is exposed to his takes through social media. Having him against you just adds to the headwind and makes it harder to move forward.

Never liked Fine-Bum but there is no questions he's the biggest media figure in the SEC. He has the most important guests on his show. I watch or listen to the first few minutes daily to find out who's on. Never understood how that pencil necked geek got to where he did but whatever. He's there.

I don’t know why anyone provides oxygen to Finebaum.

Agree. And we should never forget, because he’s already trying to make us forget, he and his platform were one of the leading sources for spreading corona fear and constantly pushing for a canceled or severely altered college football season. He was disgusting in the lead up to this season. We cannot let him escape that. He sold out his sport and bit the hand that feeds him when he took the Dan Wolken, CNN approach to spreading fear and letting liberal politics dominate his platform.

...unless Orgeron implodes into the future.

For some reason this phrase conjures a mental image of Coach YawYaw trying to hit 88mph on a Mr. Fusion-equipped airboat. If you get dem crawdads from de future, they're fresher...hoooo-eeee, I ga-ron-tee!

Reactions: SpookyAction
What did UT alum Finebaum say that wasn't true? That UT is no longer relevant? The counter to that would be that UT is relevant. Does anyone believe that?

Pruitt was hired after 7 coaches said no. Heupal was hired after five were ADMITTED to have said no. Don't believe there weren't twice that many off the record who were approached...and if that isn't true, UT is even less relevant than Finebaum thinks.

UT's football SEC win percentage is 33.9% since 2008...only better than Vandy and Kentucky, both of which have competed with or owned UT in the last 5 years.

No fair criticizing Finebaum for his opinion about the Pruitt hire. Everyone here was smitten by Pruitt's colloquialism, using terms like "aight" and his preference for cornbread over dinner rolls. There was very little gripe about his extension 4 months ago following a season where Georgia State and BYU tooled UT.

Blind hypocrites all.

He didn't say anything that wasn't true. UT's failed administration has ran the program into the dirt..

I don't know, but any school willing to piss away that kind of money in firing a winning coach because he hasn't 'won enough', is at least trying to be more than fluff on their competitor's schedules.

Though, I could see that hire sinking them into Tier 3 if Harsin can't cut it in SEC, and no one will pony up the cash to replace him.[/QUOTE}]
Agreed. Harsin is a fine coach, but is he an upgrade from Malzahn? That is a big 'if'.

Always remember, Finebaum is first and foremost an Entertainer. Any occasional actual journalism that gets slipped in is purely coincidental.

VN Store

Back