Paul Finebaum on UT hire

It's such a BS narrative.

The only "home run hires" of the past 2 decades have been Saban at Bama, Urban Meyer at Ohio State, and Jim Harbaugh at Michigan; and the last of those "home run hires" hasn't even totally worked out.

All the other great coaches hired were considered disappointing by a large portion of the fanbase:

Pete Carroll at USC
Dabo Swinney at Clemson
Mark Richt at Georgia
Bob Stoops at Oklahoma
Matt Campbell at Iowa State
Mike Gundy at OK State
Mack Brown at UNC
Kirby Smart at Georgia

All considered risky or even outright bad hires. The Pete Carroll and Dabo Swinney hires, in particular, were trashed mercilessly, before turning out to be 2 of the best college coaches of the 21st Century.

There aren't a whole lot of "home run hires" out there and they are rarely available even for the top jobs.

He's made a living ticking off people and being abrasive. I remember him at UT when I was a student there and he was writing for the Beacon. Nothing's changed.

I have a hope.. and that is - the bar seems to be set pretty low right now. And Finebaum and others sticking the knife in and twisting it. They may be right, however I hope Heupel likes a challenge. I sure would in his shoes. The best victories come from the underdog. I just watched the video of Drew Lock in Heupel's offense. Actually pretty impressive the stats they put up. Get some talent in here at QB. 4 years of JG has also set that bar low. New blood was wanted and we got it. This guy doesn't look like a cornbread eating goober, but he hasn't missed any meals either.

Why is anyone listening to this d**k with ears?

ESPN analyst Paul Finebaum believes Pruitt was a good hire.

"Phillip Fulmer saved this program with the hiring of Jeremy Pruitt," said Finebaum on Monday, in an interview with WVLT.

Finebaum also called Pruitt "wise" saying that former UT coach Butch Jones was "too much sizzle."

SEC MEDIA DAYS: 'Phillip Fulmer saved this program'

Plenty of talking heads in sports media talked up Pruitt and Butch. I think Heupel has a solid resume and reputation. It wouldn't shock me at all if he's finally the coach that gets us back. He at least has the benefit of an AD and university admin that seems to have its act together...not to mention some outstanding young talent on offense to work with.

It's such a BS narrative.

The only "home run hires" of the past 2 decades have been Saban at Bama, Urban Meyer at Ohio State, and Jim Harbaugh at Michigan; and the last of those "home run hires" hasn't even totally worked out.

All the other great coaches hired were considered disappointing by a large portion of the fanbase:

Pete Carroll at USC
Dabo Swinney at Clemson
Mark Richt at Georgia
Bob Stoops at Oklahoma
Matt Campbell at Iowa State
Mike Gundy at OK State
Mack Brown at UNC
Kirby Smart at Georgia

All considered risky or even outright bad hires. The Pete Carroll and Dabo Swinney hires, in particular, were trashed mercilessly, before turning out to be 2 of the best college coaches of the 21st Century.

There aren't a whole lot of "home run hires" out there and they are rarely available even for the top jobs.

Exactly! I've made this same argument but you can't tell some people anything.

I wonder if he thought the dooley and butch or pruitt hire was inspiring. I hate to say it but im more excited about this hire than those 3. But heupels got his work really cut out for him and this fan base has lost its patience a long time ago.

Why is anyone listening to this d**k with ears?

ESPN analyst Paul Finebaum believes Pruitt was a good hire.

"Phillip Fulmer saved this program with the hiring of Jeremy Pruitt," said Finebaum on Monday, in an interview with WVLT.

Finebaum also called Pruitt "wise" saying that former UT coach Butch Jones was "too much sizzle."

SEC MEDIA DAYS: 'Phillip Fulmer saved this program'

He looked like a good hire to a lot of people, including myself. His biggest problem was he was too damn hard headed and refused to let anyone help him. Pruitt was his own worst enemy

The reality of the SEC is that it's
Tier 1: Alabama
Tier 2: A&M, Florida, Georgia, LSU, Auburn
Tier 3: Everyone Else

None of the school administrations in Tier 3 really care about winning as long as the SEC network money keeps flowing.

We'll spend the next few years with Heupel trying to fight our way to the top of Tier 3, while half the fanbase deludes itself into believing we are in, or about to be in Tier 2, but in reality, we are now just another Tier 3 SEC team.

Decades of mismanagement have put the program where it is now.

VN Store

Back