Pat Forde on Barnes et. al.

The best I can remember, not many "ragged" on Josh like you say.

I stand corrected! Lucky for Josh that he was not called upon to play many minutes as a freshman, unlike Willie.

Maybe you can explain why Willie and Tariq weren't redshirted. I'd love to hear your perspective!

I stand corrected! Lucky for Josh that he was not called upon to play many minutes as a freshman, unlike Willie.

Maybe you can explain why Willie and Tariq weren't redshirted. I'd love to hear your perspective!

Actually, Josh averaged more MPG as a FR than Carmichael. He was just able to stay on the floor because he was more disciplined defensively. Willie was in foul trouble too often. In Willie's defense, JRich was guarding on the perimeter, which is maybe a little easier to stay disciplined doing than defending in the paint.

Reactions: 1 person
Yes. JRich had am acceptable FR year for those who understand the game, and aren't expecting every freshman that takes the floor to dominate. He showed glimpses of his potential offensively (and the ability to improve in areas), and was a tremendous defensive player from the get-go. Even if his offense never caught up, his defense was wnougg to make him a quality player, and you could see that as early as his freshman season. It just so happens, that his offense did improve every season too, making him a 1st-team All-SEC player.

I have not been able to find the stats for Josh's freshman year, but I bet you can tell us how many minutes he averaged per game. If you can't, then maybe CAVol can offer an assist.

He was just up against guards that had the experience.

Haha, yeah...like I said, it may have been a little easier for JRich defensively given their respective positions, but the other side of that coin is that JRich was always an elite defender and Willie isn't.

Haha, yeah...like I said, it may have been a little easier for JRich defensively given their respective positions, but the other side of that coin is that JRich was always an elite defender and Willie isn't.

Yup. Minutes played is about the only comparison between willie and Richardson.

I'm sure that when Josh Richardson was a freshman that you thought that he was gonna get recruited over! Many on this board ragged on him then, only to brag on him for this past season.

If most in this thread, but not all, could not find someone to vilify, VN would become a ghost town!

Also, he was a freshman in 2011-12 season and you weren't yet a member of this board. Not sure how you can make statements about what people were saying back then when you weren't here.

Reactions: 2 people
He was just up against guards that had the experience.

Since the low post is a strength position, it is much more difficult to play than out on the floor. BTW, no one has answered my question as to why Willie and Tariq were not redshirted so as to build collegiate strength. You seem to have all the answers. What say you on this?

Since the low post is a strength position, it is much more difficult to play than out on the floor. BTW, no one has answered my question as to why Willie and Tariq were not redshirted so as to build collegiate strength. You seem to have all the answers. What say you on this?

Because they had to play. If they redshirted we would have had 7 available players.

And strength is not the only thing that makes a position hard to guard. Guarding a guard is difficult for other reasons too. Lateral quickness, guarding a ball screen, quick hands, etc all matter in addition to strength.

Last edited:

They had to play for lack of options, especially after McGhee went out. There wasn't really another option. Ideally, they both needed a RS year, but that just wasn't realistic with our roster makeup.

Because they had to play. If they redshirted we would have had 7 available players.

How did we achieve 16 wins this year with 3 undersized post players?

When Josh was a freshman, would we have only won half our games had he not played? My opinion is that we would have still won several more than 50% of those contests!

The brilliant coaching decisions from your boy?

I don't even understand what you're arguing anymore.

No matter what happened at USM, were the 16 wins achieved due to excellent coaching, considering the weak lineup, or did the weak lineup overachieve due to their own efforts?

I guess the point that I am trying to make is without a zone defense, there is no way that UTK could have been competitive with most SEC teams. Tyndall knew how to teach this!

Next season, after recruiting is over, we may be better, worse, or about the same. Will Barnes be able to keep our opponents at bay in order to provide us with the chance to win enough games to be as competitive as we were this past season?

I don't believe we have had a losing year since the last year of Kevin O'Neill's stay here. Let's just hope that that stretch is not broken in 15-16. GBO!

Last edited:
Is buzz4tennessee and SeniorDrill the same person?

I have been thinking the same thing. They both joined the board about the same time. Could be the way SD gets so many likes. Remember: like to post ratio is very important. We all post in the hope of someone liking us. lol

No matter what happened at USM, were the 16 wins achieved due to excellent coaching, considering the weak lineup, or did the weak lineup overachieve due to their own efforts?

I guess the point that I am trying to make is without a zone defense, there is no way that UTK could have been competitive with most SEC teams. Tyndall knew how to teach this!

Next season, after recruiting is over, we may be better, worse, or about the same. Will Barnes be able to keep our opponents at bay in order to provide us with the chance to win enough games to be as competitive as we were this past season?

I don't believe we have had a losing year since the last year of Kevin O'Neill's stay here. Let's just hope that that stretch is not broken in 15-16. GBO!

Message has been updated!

VN Store

Back