Pat Forde on Barnes et. al.

Lol what? The 2 best players on last years team were both CCM recruits, I will just about guarantee Barnes wins more than 16 games at Tennessee this season.

Phew...sure glad you inserted those two little words in there... "just about"....talking about going out on a limb...

Reactions: 3 people
Josh Richardson, the Tyndall Terror Defense, and the pit bull never say die tenaciousness instilled in the players won 16 games with a ,500 record last year and came close in a bunch more. All of that is gone except the grit in the remaining players. We will now be playing the same defense as the rest of the league which they don't even have to prepare for. They can concentrate on their offense. If we don't soon have some major recruits besides Tyndall's, it could be interesting this coming year.
:hi:

Remember that one time when Tyndall lied and got fired?

Can you guys even think straight? We have no recruits at the moment but Tyndall's. The major recruits we need have to come from Barnes or else we are hurting this year. Hopefully, Barnes will not be playing with all Tyndall players which is what he has at the moment.

Oh man! Where on earth are we gonna find another 6'10 player who misses layups?

Last edited:
Let's put it this way, all we have right now is last year's team minus 1 and two Tyndall signees. Doesn't matter who recruited who. Barnes has to supplement these players who were not recruited for his system with new players and make a cohesive team. Not an easy task!

I hope Barnes reads this thread. He will be shocked to learn he needs to recruit players. He is probably chillin at the house right now banking on all the stars Tyndall left him.

Oh man! Where on earth are we gonna find another 6'10 player who misses layups? Tariq Owens' are rare jewels.

Heck other than Rich they all missed layups. Like it or not 6'10 guys that can run the floor and can block shots are rare jewels. IMO

Reactions: 1 person
Oh man! Where on earth are we gonna find another 6'10 player who misses layups? Tariq Owens' are rare jewels.

For some reason, Tariq Owens gets blasted around here, but he has the most potential of any player Tyndall signed last year IMO. He is the last one I wanted to see transfer. Give him 25 lbs, and he starts making those shots around the basket more often.

Your point is well taken, but Willie Carmichael is a much better example.

For some reason, Tariq Owens gets blasted around here, but he has the most potential of any player Tyndall signed last year IMO. He is the last one I wanted to see transfer. Give him 25 lbs, and he starts making those shots around the basket more often.

I agree with you as much or more than anybody here but Ugh your dislike for Carmichael, not even really talking about this particular post, is getting stale.

He needs a lot of work, but he wants to be here and I've seen a lot worse improve to be quality players, would you not agree?

Last edited:
I agree with you as much or more than anybody here but Ugh your dislike for Carmichael, not even really talking about this particular post, is getting stale.

He needs a lot of work, but he wants to be here and I've seen a lot worse improve to be quality players, would you not agree?

Willie will be a good player for us soon.

Yeah, I didn't want to see him go and agree about potential, just think Barnes has an upgrade in store. Probably was a bit hard on him, but I do think caliber of recruit should change

What would you have me to do, pretend that I like him as a player? Censor myself? If my opinion is getting stale (2 mentions of him since April 1st by my count), then I apologize, but it's not as if I'm going out of my way at every turn to bag on him. I almost always give my opinion on him when it is appropriate within context of the discussion.

The "he wants to be here" argument doesn't do much for me. There are plenty of kids less talented than Carmichael that want to be here too, but that doesn't make them any more qualified for a scholarship.

He does need a lot of work, and without recalling every fledgling former player, I'm sure there are examples of similar talents that have gone on to be mildly successful. I don't see that in Carmichael's future, but feel free to disagree.

Yeah, I didn't want to see him go and agree about potential, just think Barnes has an upgrade in store. Probably was a bit hard on him, but I do think caliber of recruit should change

I do hope that Barnes upgrades the talent too. I don't doubt he will.

Don't see it. He's gonna get recruited over.

I'm sure that when Josh Richardson was a freshman that you thought that he was gonna get recruited over! Many on this board ragged on him then, only to brag on him for this past season.

If most in this thread, but not all, could not find someone to vilify, VN would become a ghost town!

Willie is the perfect example of n underdog. I can almost say with certainty he will be in the top 3 in the sec at rebounding the ball by the end of his career.

I'm sure that when Josh Richardson was a freshman that you thought that he was gonna get recruited over! Many on this board ragged on him then, only to brag on him for this past season.

If most in this thread, but not all, could not find someone to vilify, VN would become a ghost town!

Say that! ....'cause that's what I've been saying all along. These guys have to grow and come into their own. With some help from a well seasoned coach it should happen for them. IMO, any coach can win with great players like Cal At UK. But it takes a great coach to coach and win with a scrappy team like our present roster. Can't wait to see what Barnes will do with our boys.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 people

The best I can remember, not many "ragged" on Josh like you say.

Actually I never once thought that about J Rich and never saw many people rag on him. I remember the consensus on him being a lot like it is on Jabari. We loved how hard he played and how he did the little things to win. We may have discussed his need to develop offensively but that's about it. He was a top 150 player who started most of his freshman year and looked like he belonged in the SEC. I can't say the same for Willie.

Yep. We've seen this before with numerous others. McCrae, Hopson, etc...were questioned but rounded into form and came into their own by their junior seasons. I'm betting we see a huge jump from Moore and Hubbs this year....especially Hubbs. It's a big jump from HS ball to the SEC. Rare birds that come in and tear it up as a freshman and if they are that good, they usually are playing for KY not UT.

Actually I never once thought that about J Rich and never saw many people rag on him. I remember the consensus on him being a lot like it is on Jabari. We loved how hard he played and how he did the little things to win. We may have discussed his need to develop offensively but that's about it. He was a top 150 player who started most of his freshman year and looked like he belonged in the SEC. I can't say the same for Willie.

Yeah I remember a lot of people loved J Rich for these reasons. Even after his airballed ft's and missed dunk(s) in the cruch of time of games. He was pretty beloved from day 1.

Willie is the perfect example of n underdog. I can almost say with certainty he will be in the top 3 in the sec at rebounding the ball by the end of his career.

Based on what? Your unbiased opinion? Typical Dallas. I'm guessing you fully expect Admiral Schofield to be a 1st-team All-American as a FR too...just because.

Yeah I remember a lot of people loved J Rich for these reasons. Even after his airballed ft's and missed dunk(s) in the cruch of time of games. He was pretty beloved from day 1.

Yes. JRich had am acceptable FR year for those who understand the game, and aren't expecting every freshman that takes the floor to dominate. He showed glimpses of his potential offensively (and the ability to improve in areas), and was a tremendous defensive player from the get-go. Even if his offense never caught up, his defense was wnougg to make him a quality player, and you could see that as early as his freshman season. It just so happens, that his offense did improve every season too, making him a 1st-team All-SEC player.

VN Store

Back