Oregon vs. Tenn

Looking at the two rosters just from the perspective of talent, we are really not so outmanned by Oregon overall. They do have a handful of blue chip players who win a lot of games for them.

What I see here are two teams with comparable rosters overall, but Oregon's as a group has overachieved, while ours has underachieved (due to poor coaching rather than the talent level).

I think this game is our best shot at a major (i.e. AL, FL, OR, maybe GA) upset.

I take it you just haven't watch a Duck game and seen the freaking super speed of especially the RBs. Not that the Ducks are unbeatable but when you say speed it comes out sounding like you said Oregon Ducks. Our best bet is to take the ball and keep it. Have 50 play possessions that eat up entire quarters.

Last edited:
I take it you just haven't watch a Duck game and seen the freaking super speed of especially the RBs. Not that the Ducks are unbeatable but when you say speed it comes out sounding like you said Oregon Ducks. Our best bet is to take the ball and keep it. Have 50 play possessions that eat up entire quarters.

Not sure about 50 play possessions, but the running game will be huge in all the big games.

Not sure about 50 play possessions, but the running game will be huge in all the big games.

I was exaggerating but our best bet is to keep the ball away from them as much as possible. Every quarter.

I may be crazy but I think this game is closer than many think. Our defense will be much improved and Oregon has struggled with SEC defenses in the past. I have to think Oregon is at least a little worse without Kelly there as well. I'm cautiously optimistic that it will be close and maybe even turn our way if our offense can find some play makers.

Reactions: 2 people
Mariota only ran 106 times last year for 752 yards, while he threw 336 times (266 completions, 163.2 rating) for 2677 yards. Not sure I'd call Mariota a "running QB". Plus rumor is the Duck will be putting the ball in the air more this year.
if YOU ARE SO SURE YOU'LL KICK OUR butt why are you even bothering to post here. I know Oregon is good and fast and tricky , If dooley was coaching I would have no hope of winning. I think our coaches will do their homework and we are not as slow as last year, I think it will be a good game if we have sufficient offense to hang.

if YOU ARE SO SURE YOU'LL KICK OUR butt why are you even bothering to post here. I know Oregon is good and fast and tricky , If dooley was coaching I would have no hope of winning. I think our coaches will do their homework and we are not as slow as last year, I think it will be a good game if we have sufficient offense to hang.

I thought he was just putting down the idea that Mariota is mostly a running QB.

Numbers are numbers.

Reactions: 1 person
Sorry not that close- O

I'm telling you that Oregon has learned from previous losses to elite SEC offensive and defensive lines, using the previous few cycles to get to the considerably longer, athletic, and stout lines they will be fielding this season, and you want to talk about our high school recruiting rankings. I'm going to enjoy revisiting this in a few months.

People here don't take the right angle on the "Oregon has a new coach" argument.

From an X's and O's standpoint the change has no impact on Oregon.

HOWEVER, there is something about the coaching change I'd be interested to hear from the Oregon posters. We also have a new coach. And one of the reasons we are excited is because he has brought discipline and passion to this team.

The only way Oregon will be hurt by the coaching hire is if he is a worse people manager than Chip Kelly. Example, Dooley allowed Da'Rick to be a cancer to this team. Allowed multiple failed drug tests, allowed an attitude that undermined the coaches authority, and allowed laziness as opposed to positive work ethic.

Chip Kelly was a master at those aspects, at least it seemed so. The question is has/will the new coach be able to do things the same way. If he has lost respect, has a different work ethic, etc. That's where trouble could occur. It took time and precision to maintain what has been going on at Oregon.....

So Oregon posters.... is this guy as good at these things as Chip?

People here don't take the right angle on the "Oregon has a new coach" argument.

From an X's and O's standpoint the change has no impact on Oregon.

HOWEVER, there is something about the coaching change I'd be interested to hear from the Oregon posters. We also have a new coach. And one of the reasons we are excited is because he has brought discipline and passion to this team.

The only way Oregon will be hurt by the coaching hire is if he is a worse people manager than Chip Kelly. Example, Dooley allowed Da'Rick to be a cancer to this team. Allowed multiple failed drug tests, allowed an attitude that undermined the coaches authority, and allowed laziness as opposed to positive work ethic.

Chip Kelly was a master at those aspects, at least it seemed so. The question is has/will the new coach be able to do things the same way. If he has lost respect, has a different work ethic, etc. That's where trouble could occur. It took time and precision to maintain what has been going on at Oregon.....

So Oregon posters.... is this guy as good at these things as Chip?

Honestly, just don't know.

Helfrich has been handed a Ferrari this year. He just has to not drive it into a phone pole. I don't expect he will. Whatever his prior experience, he got a master class from Chip Kelly on the CK system.

It's going to be 2 or 3 years before we really know what he's made of.

Oregon by 27....it won't be close at all....not even for a quarter....they have way too much speed for the Vols

A few posts in this thread seem to echo Tony Bassillio's manic refrain that Tennessee is going to get KILLED in this game and that it should have been bought out...that's lunacy...we might be outscored by a wide margin but our team will match or exceed the physicality of Oregon...they're not going to punish us Alabama style so save your blood donations...if the worst happens and our Vols get blown out...game experience to look back on...if Vols pull out a victory...posters like Darkgable earn William Wallace props
Posted via VolNation Mobile

I don't understand your post. What are you talking about?

My post was in reference to Mariota being referred to as a "RUNNING" QB. Nothing more than that. It has nothing to do with what I think the out come of this game will be. I'd suggest you go back and check a few of my posts if you'd like.

SIAP, but are these real? I see these floating around :lol:

Hideous IMO (I like most of their unis)

oregon-Duck-1024x986.jpg

SIAP, but are these real? I see these floating around :lol:

Hideous IMO (I like most of their unis)

oregon-Duck-1024x986.jpg

:loco: Yea I saw those somewhere, and NO those aren't real. That was someone's take on what "worst uniforms" would look like. As a Duck, I'm use to seeing these types of takes on the Ducks. Honestly, this is one of the weakest attempts I've seen. I really laugh at the hippy/street person in the green full body speedo with a Oregon "O" on it. His package hanging out and all. Really gross, but pretty funny. :loco:

Honestly, just don't know.

Helfrich has been handed a Ferrari this year. He just has to not drive it into a phone pole. I don't expect he will. Whatever his prior experience, he got a master class from Chip Kelly on the CK system.

It's going to be 2 or 3 years before we really know what he's made of.

Maybe he can take tips from this gal regarding that Duck Ferrari:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9PJY-k1n9Yw[/youtube]

Move this game to last on the schedule and it might be competitive.
Way to early for this team.

Naw, move the Ducks to the UT and then we'll be competitive. Stop looking at me with such hatred! The ducks are already a dominant Tennessee fixture. What? You didn't know? Of course they are. Wiillie, Phil, and Missy will back me up on that.

VN Store

Back