Oregon vs. Tenn

I have noticed in a few posts that people have mentioned "Oregon has a new coach too." Totally different situation then the Vols. the Ducks "new" coach was the Ducks old OC, so I'm pretty sure he knows the how to run the offence. On the other hand, the Vols are learning a whole new offence with a new coaching staff, much more of a challenge. I don't think Oregons "new" coach plays into the game at all.

Reactions: 2 people
I have noticed in a few posts that people have mentioned "Oregon has a new coach too." Totally different situation then the Vols. the Ducks "new" coach was the Ducks old OC, so I'm pretty sure he knows the how to run the offence. On the other hand, the Vols are learning a whole new offence with a new coaching staff, much more of a challenge. I don't think Oregons "new" coach plays into the game at all.

Very good point!

a few vital things we should hope for as Vols fans.. our O-line controls the LOS and we run the ball successfully for 4 qtrs. Oregon has turnovers, hopefully in their own half of the field. their new head coach simply isn't as good as his predecessor(sp).

I Dont care what anyone says... I like our chances vs the ducks. They no longer have Kelly and they have questions and inexperience at a number of positions.

Im not saying we dont have the same issues, but we could easily grab the momentum early in the game and come out on top. JMHO

Not a nega vol but honestly we are probably going to get the crap kicked out of us in this game. If we can keep it within 2 scores it will be an accomplishment. I could easily see something like 41-14 or so happening.

i say we can beat the ducks if mccullers can get ahold of their qb and rb it will have their offensive line side stepping big dan. big dan and the defensive line is the key this game. if we get pressure early and often we will have a chance. a sack or 2 will kill the ducks fast tempo offense rhythm.[/QUOTE]

Totally disagree with this...... If it's fourth and 7 at the 50 don't be surprised if the Ducks go for it.

Of course you're going for it. Look at the dang clock. Less than 3 minutes to go in the game and you're trailing by 17 points. You really don't have a choice. :)

Sorry, couldn't resist. Okay, nevermind. I didn't even try.

Good write up. The only positive thing for the Vols on D is they have been practicing against an uptempo offense since Butch got here. Also the O line will be the best Oregon sees all year and can control the clock. That's why they might cover the spread and make it closer than people think.

So I'm guessing you're assuming Butch won't be running his uptempo offense against the Ducks?

I don't really know what to expect because this will hopefully be the game that tells us how ready we are for SEC play. If we find out against WKU we're in trouble so I don't expect that. We have questions on both sides of the ball and limited experience and depth at key positions. I'm guessing we'll be at least a 3 TD underdog in which case covering the spread might just be an outside possibility and you'd be right.

Last time we played Oregon they beat us 48-13. This was with a lame head coach, lame staff(save Chaney), with unmotivated and undisciplined players. We might lose but it sure won't be by that large of a margin this time around. It's simply not possible.
It'll be a tough opponent for sure, but is winning the game impossible? No.

Reactions: 1 person
I'm confused. Is it your contention that UT is equivalent to last year's Stanford squad?

Stanford isnt really built on speed and the kept oregon in check by running the ball and containing big.plays.......and honestly most of their players aside from mariota and thomas arent that much quicker than our players.....just because they snap the ball quick doesnt mean everyone on their team runs 4.1 40 yd dash

Reactions: 2 people
We might lose but it sure won't be by that large of a margin this time around. It's simply not possible.

unless you saw something in the O&W game that we didn't, then you really don't have anything to realisticly base your statement from.

Oregon has 3-4 turnovers....Vols win

I believe Oregon led the nation in turnover margin last year. Three turnovers for Oregon would be very out of character for the Ducks. Of course last years stats ARE LAST years stats. Things can change. I'm just saying Oregon doesn't turn the ball over much and three or four would be a lot.

If we don't lose by more than 3 touchdowns it will mean we have some damn fine coaches, because the personnel matchup is not ideal to say the least.

I wish we could delay this game for about three years.

unless you saw something in the O&W game that we didn't, then you really don't have anything to realisticly base your statement from.

The Orange and White game was on April 20th. Almost 5 months of training and learning the plays as well as 2 games into the season until we play Oregon is a lot of time for improvement.

We certainly couldn't be worse than this..
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9B2XFJ-gFd8[/youtube]

The Orange and White game was on April 20th. Almost 5 months of training and learning the plays as well as 2 games into the season until we play Oregon is a lot of time for improvement.

We certainly couldn't be worse than this..
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9B2XFJ-gFd8[/youtube]

I don't know what to say about that video. Defense seemed to over play and get out of position a lot, no containment to speak of. That's very fixable with good coaching. I think Jone's teams at Cinn were pretty good at containment. Tenn should be much better under new coaches.

THIS game smells of NAPALM, Vols have absolutely NOTHING to lose, pressure is on Oregon. From what it sounds like from Duck fans on this board they truly think a blowout is eminent, and I certainly hope they all believe that- Please underestimate this Vols team Oregon. We are bigger, more physical, and now we have legitimate coaches. Believe it or not -we have fast guys too. Our O line THIS year is better than ANY Oline Stanford has EVER had. It is early but I for one would not be surprised to see a close game in the 4th that could go either way....With the Vols winning-

Most of this team has seen O before 2 years ago as freshman,,,,Paybacks a *****!!!!

Reactions: 4 people
I don't know what to say about that video. Defense seemed to over play and get out of position a lot, no containment to speak of. That's very fixable with good coaching. I think Jone's teams at Cinn were pretty good at containment. Tenn should be much better under new coaches.

GoDucks, you got no idea. DC Sal Sunseri was arguably the WORST defensive hire EVER made....in COLLEGE FOOTBALL! This D squad I believe will be much better coached and going back to the 4-3 have a better understanding of where they need to be. Don't think the Ducks will have it as easy as Vanderbilt did. That was just plain pathetic. And please hang about 60 on Kiffins @$$ this season!

THIS game smells of NAPALM, Vols have absolutely NOTHING to lose, pressure is on Oregon. From what it sounds like from Duck fans on this board they truly think a blowout is eminent, and I certainly hope they all believe that- Please underestimate this Vols team Oregon. We are bigger, more physical, and now we have legitimate coaches. Believe it or not -we have fast guys too. Our O line THIS year is better than ANY Oline Stanford has EVER had. It is early but I for one would not be surprised to see a close game in the 4th that could go either way....With the Vols winning-

Most of this team has seen O before 2 years ago as freshman,,,,Paybacks a *****!!!!

I think most Oregon fans are confident, and they should be, but I also think they feel pretty uneasy about this game. Tenn, is a BIG unknown in many ways, new coach, a bunch of athletes that perhaps have under performed under previous coaches, a team that clearly wasn't disciplined previously and could very well gain that discipline quickly.

We hear a lot about the Tenn O-line and how great they are, I'm certainly well aware that a great O-line is a great place to build an offense and a team. So Tenn has a great start to rebuilding.

From an Oregon stand point, Oregon's defense has always been built to stop the run first. I'd expect the out come of this game to depend on the ability of Tenn to do two things. First, run the ball consistently and not have to throw down field much. Second, pound the ball down Oregon's throat, scoring touch downs on two thirds of their possessions. Tenn must not let Oregon get much of a lead, they need keep the game close so they don't HAVE to throw the ball.

As someone who use to make Napalm, I'm not sure I understand the reference. napalm smells like gas, as it should, given that's a primary component. Burns around 1400 degrees and has a consistency similar to strawberry preserves. Granted last time I made it was during the Vietnam War, so they may have changed formulas and come up with a more sophisticated mixture than I am familiar with.

GoDucks, you got no idea. DC Sal Sunseri was arguably the WORST defensive hire EVER made....in COLLEGE FOOTBALL! This D squad I believe will be much better coached and going back to the 4-3 have a better understanding of where they need to be. Don't think the Ducks will have it as easy as Vanderbilt did. That was just plain pathetic. And please hang about 60 on Kiffins @$$ this season!

LOL, just wear your "We hate Kiffin too" shirts to Autzen and people will love you........

Oh, and we did put 62 up on Kiffin last year

Reactions: 4 people

VN Store

Back