Optometrist Dentists Vets or Chiropractors who's worst at gouging

Insurance companies negotiate discounted prices for medical care.

Without insurance you don't get the discount - leaves you stuck with a "full price" medical bill.

That may be the case in some instances, but on the whole I can't agree. Insurance companies are the reason cost is so high. It's a principle of economics: concentrated benefits and diffused costs. If I don't pay 100% of my HC expenses, I have less incentive to look for the best deal.

I had the same surgery twice this year. Once involving the insurance company ($3k) and the second time without. It was free because my doctor felt bad the first time didn't work, but we didn't involve insurance and hospital to keep it free. It would have been $1k if she charged me.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 person
Anybody remember this?

latest

Insurance companies negotiate discounted prices for medical care.

Without insurance you don't get the discount - leaves you stuck with a "full price" medical bill.

Some hospitals give discounts for no insurance -- one near me gives like 500 if the bill is 2000 --- but say your ins deductible is 3000 and not met --- who gets the better deal ? Ins companies can be as bad as lawyers and Doctors ---

That may be the case in some instances, but on the whole I can't agree. Insurance companies are the reason cost is so high. It's a principle of economics: concentrated benefits and diffused costs. If I don't pay 100% of my HC expenses, I have less incentive to look for the best deal.

I had the same surgery twice this year. Once involving the insurance company ($3k) and the second time without. It was free because my doctor felt bad the first time didn't work, but we didn't involve insurance and hospital to keep it free. It would have been $1k if she charged me.

This I agree with 100% -- It should be a political issue - since Obama forced insurance on everyone --- Regulate the bastards

Yeah, I thought it was generally understood that there is a price for people with insurance and a price for people with cash, and the cash price is lower.

My roommate sprained his ankle in college and had no insurance. They told him his air-cast or whatever would be $250. He said, "what if I don't have insurance?" and they said, "we don't know?"

He said they called around and after he waited 30 minutes, the price they quoted was like $40.

I knew a guy a few years ago who was a chiropractor. Very different though-he had been a collegiate gymnast so he understood a lot about stretching. He believed most back injuries were muscle related and usually cured his patients by teaching them how to stretch-especially their hamstrings which could lead to lower back pain. Also, he would focus on the abdominal muscles and weight loss to help the lower back. He would also do the spine manipulations if he thought that would help but he took a holistic approach. His patients loved him and he seemed to be very effective.

I knew a guy a few years ago who was a chiropractor. Very different though-he had been a collegiate gymnast so he understood a lot about stretching. He believed most back injuries were muscle related and usually cured his patients by teaching them how to stretch-especially their hamstrings which could lead to lower back pain. Also, he would focus on the abdominal muscles and weight loss to help the lower back. He would also do the spine manipulations if he thought that would help but he took a holistic approach. His patients loved him and he seemed to be very effective.

I did my internship under a PT and that was his view of lbp, too. The back is like an electric pole and the back muscles/soft tissue and abdominal muscles/soft tissue are like the guide wires that anchor it down. If the front side is putting demand on the pole that the back doesn't have the strength to counter-balance you're screwed

Thanks, brother. It was (and still is) pretty tough. I helped deliver him with my own hands, and he underwent a life-saving surgical vascular procedure pioneered by UT at 1 y/o. Was by our side every step of the way for 12.5 years... two moves, three kids,... He was a darn good pooch and even typing this is tough.

sorry, KD

I did my internship under a PT and that was his view of lbp, too. The back is like an electric pole and the back muscles/soft tissue and abdominal muscles/soft tissue are like the guide wires that anchor it down. If the front side is putting demand on the pole that the back doesn't have the strength to counter-balance you're screwed

wut, are you saying about the pole in front

My co-worker takes her toddler to the chiropractor for literally everything. If he has an ear infection, her first stop is to the chiropractor. The line of bull**** he has her believing is unbelievable. They're both wackadoos and I feel bad for the child.

Reactions: 2 people
My co-worker takes her toddler to the chiropractor for literally everything. If he has an ear infection, her first stop is to the chiropractor. The line of bull**** he has her believing is unbelievable. They're both wackadoos and I feel bad for the child.

I went to a chiropractor a couple times cause I got a groupon for super cheap. The 30 minute song and dance they did before I got to get an x-ray was ridiculous. They talked about how the husband (in the husband-and-wife practice) adjusted their child when he was 3 days old. What a freak

or about optometrists trying to sell you glasses in their store

when all you need is a prescription and competition

alot of times the crooks would not give me my contacts prescription and it only last 1 year -- a racket to keep you going back

We've got a couple at church that does the same thing with 6 month old twins. Has to be the dumbest thing I've ever heard.

Real estate agents are the most unprofessional profession. Followed by corporate recruiters/HR.

Never understood the reason or need for a real estate agent other than being lazy to look for something or wanting to hang out with a person who wants to feel special by wearing a tie to starbucks.

alot of times the crooks would not give me my contacts prescription and it only last 1 year -- a racket to keep you going back

Did you tell them up front what you needed? I've never had an issue with getting an exam done and them handing over my contact and glasses prescription. Sure they offer to order boxes for me but I politely decline
or about optometrists trying to sell you glasses in their store

when all you need is a prescription and competition
What about it? People trying to get add on sales related to their business are not crooks or always gouging. I've had at least one eye place offer to price match and my vet does on all meds.

Maybe some people are just terrible shoppers

Did you tell them up front what you needed? I've never had an issue with getting an exam done and them handing over my contact and glasses prescription. Sure they offer to order boxes for me but I politely decline
What about it? People trying to get add on sales related to their business are not crooks or always gouging. I've had at least one eye place offer to price match and my vet does on all meds.

Years ago, you had no choice but to buy from the eye doctor. Only in the last few years (7-10) have I been able to shop around for my contacts.

Years ago, you had no choice but to buy from the eye doctor. Only in the last few years (7-10) have I been able to shop around for my contacts.

By years ago you actually mean 20+ since the ability to shop your prescription had been around close to that long. The ability to switch providers if you feel they're being unfair has always existed

I tried ordering them online and (thanks to politicans) the prescription must be verified and they always declined to give it to them.

I tried ordering them online and (thanks to politicans) the prescription must be verified and they always declined to give it to them.

I submit a copy online and they verify. Has never been an issue and it sounds like something is missing in your communication

This has nothing to do with politicians unless you think you can properly fit your own contacts

VN Store

Back