Official Jon Gruden Thread XIV

Status
Not open for further replies.
where do you get your information? If you find my first post, you'll see that a lot of the things we say line up very strongly.

I don't really think there's any surprise to it, though. In order for a small mess like this occur, both sides have to have a pretty strong understanding of what is happening and what needs to be done.

On an additional note; I was also literally just told by my buddy/"source" that apparently everything is still under control and that things are moving along, just at a slightly reverted point.

Good news, to me.

...boosters, former players, and UTAD. But on this, it only comes in snippets and not always real often. Its not like i can pick up the phone and just find anything out. But I've gotten enough at key points to put the picture together pretty good. Ive actually just been fortunate to have some friends who happen to know a pretty key person in this, so the best stuff is coming straight from the table, so to speak. On the most important points of how this has progressed, I'd pretty much put my information as impeccable. Just lack some details.

But I would not be at all surprised if things picked back up, considering who is involved and how close we were. I simply don't have anything to base it on other than hope. And my intel from yesterday evening...sucked. So if you've got something positive, I'm all ears.

Reactions: 1 person
...boosters, former players, and UTAD. But on this, it only comes in snippets and not always real often. Its not like i can pick up the phone and just find anything out. But I've gotten enough at key points to put the picture together pretty good. Ive actually just been fortunate to have some friends who happen to know a pretty key person in this, so the best stuff is coming straight from the table, so to speak. On the most important points of how this has progressed, I'd pretty much put my information as impeccable. Just lack some details.

But I would not be at all surprised if things picked back up, considering who is involved and how close we were. I simply don't have anything to base it on other than hope. And my intel from yesterday evening...sucked. So if you've got something positive, I'm all ears.

Here we go...back up

Bray, Hunter, Patterson are gone regardless. Watch it and weep

A shame for them to leave before they get the coaching they need. It really hurts their draft stocks and I think they'll see that when they get their paperwork back.

CP is a great raw talent, but he can't run routes yet. Ever noticed how the bulk of his greatness came on end arounds or returns? Of course he can play at the next level, but he's going to need tutelage to become an on-the-field receiver.

Tyler has mental toughness issues that Gruden would beat right out of him. Tons of talent, but we all know his whiny side can get in the way of his best performance. Sort of Ryan Leaf (very) lite IMO.

And Hunter, well he had a lot of chances to impress this season and didn't. He wasn't surehanded enough when he needed to be and he just looked lost sometimes–Donté Stallworth and Kelly Washington 2.0 this was not. He has all the tools to be great, all of them, but he needs some serious work before being an NFL-level receiver.

Not saying that these guys aren't good, aren't NFL talents, or won't make it in the long run. But there is no doubt in my mind, as a student of football, that each of these guys wouldn't raise their draft stock SIGNIFICANTLY with some quality coaching at their positions.

I'm with you partner!! Gruden is our best shot to get back to where we belong!

For the people catching up...

Dave Hart vs. UT boosters? If so, who wins?

By Shaee Flatt

Following the University of Tennessee coaching search has officially become insane. Reports are everywhere and they are mostly conflicting, but they still almost all are directly related to one man: Jon Gruden.

Gruden has been ruled out by several outlets over the course of this week, most recently, this morning. Knoxville radio host Jimmy Hyams reported on twitter that “Jon Gruden is out as UT candidate. Informed UT recently after phone talks last week. UT never offered contract, source said.” He also reported the same on Knoxville radio.

This report came on the heels of Tennessee beat writer Wes Rucker reporting last night that he would be very surprised if Gruden is the man in the end. Rucker didn’t completely rule him out, but said he’d be very surprised and stuck to his source throughout the night and into this morning.

Once Hyams reported that the offer had been denied, the flood gates opened. NBC, Saturday Down South, and CBS have all picked up on the story and reported the same.

However, here’s where it gets very tricky and very interesting. Last night the Chattanooga Times Free Press reported that Gruden had a contract in hand and was mulling the offer, but there was a hang up with his assistant coaches’ salaries. The writer, Stephen Hargis, has stuck to his story and says nothing is done. He went toe to toe with former UT Quarterback Erik Ainge on his radio show and let his voice be heard saying “IF Hyams is right, then it happened after midnight last night.” Hargis says he has two sources and is very confident in one of them, and the other, is a coach who would be on Gruden’s staff if he were to come to Tennessee. Hargis has not wavered a bit, and neither has Gary Haskew of Chattanooga radio, who has been claiming Gruden to Tennessee has been done for a while now. Haskew took to Facebook this morning and said numerous things, with the final one being “People, I beg you…. Just relax… do not panic…. Good things are gonna happen…. Is gonna come from the Vols and Gruden when it comes down…. All the rest of are just waiting.”

Now the big news with Haskew is, he is claiming his source is Jimmy Haslam. Yes, that Jimmy Haslam, the biggest donor to the University of Tennessee, and owner of the NFL’s Cleveland Browns. If it is true that Haslam thinks this thing is done, then it is probably done, the question is, who do you believe?

Clay Travis of 3HL on 104.5 radio in Nashville and writer for Outkick the Coverage has a very interesting take that a lot of people have started to agree with. Travis believes that this search has been a battle between the big time boosters at Tennessee, and Tennessee athletic director, Dave Hart. Travis believes that the reports of it being done in a bad way for Tennessee are just the AD’s way of silencing down the fans and all the noise, in other words, a smoke screen. He believes that the positive reports are being put out there from the boosters, in order to force Hart’s hand in making a decision. They both know that if it is found that Gruden wants the Tennessee job, and Tennessee Athletic Director Dave Hart messed it up, his career in Knoxville will be over. The fans would call for his firing immediately, no matter who else he hired as Head Coach. Many believe that Hart does not want Jon Gruden in Knoxville due to his control demands, and will thus, not offer the money that Gruden wants, even though he is able to. Gruden’s rumored control demands are high, but they are worth it, and you have to accept them if he is willing to come. The demands include full decision making of hiring and firing all assistant coaches, as well as full decision making over Tennessee’s schedule. These are duties that usually the AD would help with, especially the schedule. Apparently Gruden would like to schedule one major out of conference game per year (Notre Dame, USC, Texas, Ohio State, Oregon, etc.) as well as just one paid game in order to prepare his team for the brutal SEC schedule. According to reports, Dave Hart won’t go for this.

There are several ways this could play out. First, the Knoxville media could be right, and the deal could be dead. Thus a new coach will be named, and the fans will be furious. Secondly, the boosters could force Dave Hart’s hand, make him sign Jon Gruden and give him what he wants, and then see Dave Hart resign as Athletic Director, or lastly, the boosters could force Dave Hart’s hand but give him credit for the hiring, and make him look like a hero to all of Knoxville. It is really tough to think Dave Hart would resign after hiring Jon Gruden, no matter what that meant for his own job duties, but the rumors are there.

I think option one is most likely, followed by option three, but if one thing is for certain in this search, I think it is that only a VERY select few actually know what is going on. Now if its’ worth noting the rest of this, then its’ worth nothing this as well, some posters on VolQuest and VolNation have their hopes up about a 3 p/m. press conference today, regarding Jon Gruden. However, Brent Hubbs has denied the reports and says that a press conference will not happen today and is telling people to move on. If a press conference happens today, everyone will know around noon eastern time, in order to give the media time to prepare.

Insanity. Pure insanity, its’ the only way to describe this coaching search. At this point I will not be surprised either way regarding Jon Gruden, and while I hope he is the man, my hopes aren’t high. I’m just ready for this whole thing to be over. For me, it’s time to just sit back, enjoy my weekend, and see what happens, and all of you should do the same.

It may be deal is botched...but the LaMonte statement is horse####......anyone who says it is or is not over or they even know what the hell is going on behind doors, I call BS..

If both sides truly are surprised and disappointed this didn't work, then that means the end of this story probably isn't written. That goes back to how badly do both sides want this.

Maybe the best thing is for both sides to take the weekend, allow Gruden to get through one more MNF, Hart to do his interviews seeing what else is possible, and then talk again early next week with cooler heads hopefully prevailing.

If this happens, it will be the biggest the deal in college football history. It has to be unbelievably stressful and difficult for both sides working all this out. It makes perfect sense that something like this would happen. If both sides want the deal, though, it will happen eventually. Unfortunately it's just not on the fans or media timetable.

We can hope! I'm not ruling it out, as i said to boomer. Wouldn't be hard to push it across the goal line unless someone called somebody's momma a name. My problem is I don't personally have any reason to believe that right now. But I stress I DON'T KNOW where things stand. Some others may.

A shame for them to leave before they get the coaching they need. It really hurts their draft stocks and I think they'll see that when they get their paperwork back.

CP is a great raw talent, but he can't run routes yet. Ever noticed how the bulk of his greatness came on end arounds or returns? Of course he can play at the next level, but he's going to need tutelage to become an on-the-field receiver.

Tyler has mental toughness issues that Gruden would beat right out of him. Tons of talent, but we all know his whiny side can get in the way of his best performance. Sort of Ryan Leaf (very) lite IMO.

And Hunter, well he had a lot of chances to impress this season and didn't. He wasn't surehanded enough when he needed to be and he just looked lost sometimes–Donté Stallworth and Kelly Washington 2.0 this was not. He has all the tools to be great, all of them, but he needs some serious work before being an NFL-level receiver.

Not saying that these guys aren't good, aren't NFL talents, or won't make it in the long run. But there is no doubt in my mind, as a student of football, that each of these guys wouldn't raise their draft stock SIGNIFICANTLY with some quality coaching at their positions.[/QUOTE]

If you were them, how confident would you be that the UTAD was going to come through? Especially, Bray and Hunter...CP, he gone.

Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back