Official Gramps' Memorial Eternal OT Thread

I won't argue with anybody who puts Kanye or KL on Tupac's level.

Just not a fan of Ye. Even before he went crazy. Just never liked his sound. Original, yes. Creative, yes. Could tell a story and paint a picture through song lyrics like Tupac?

Not convinced he's on the same level. I'll admit to not listening to enough KL to say one way or the other, but what I've heard he's not bad.

But in my opinion, there's only one Tupac.

Just not a fan of Ye. Even before he went crazy. Just never liked his sound. Original, yes. Creative, yes. Could tell a story and paint a picture through song lyrics like Tupac?

Not convinced he's on the same level. I'll admit to not listening to enough KL to say one way or the other, but what I've heard he's not bad.

Wouldn't be saying that if he wasn't dead. Bet.

Rivaling him in terms of what? Flow? Production? Lyrical content? Emotional delivery?

You seem to look at music in a very simple manner.

See the reply to Huff. The ability to tell a story through lyrics. And paint the mental image of what he's enduring or encountered.

Tupac was art honestly.

As for music, I don't keep up with performers, rarely know the names of the bands or singers but I like what I like and make no apologies for it. My lake playlist consists of country (old and new), bluegrass, rap, disco, hard rock and even some classical. I get some strange looks and the wife always fights with me to get her phone hooked to the stereo first.

See the reply to Huff. The ability to tell a story through lyrics. And paint the mental image of what he's enduring or encountered.

Tupac was art honestly.

It's all art, whether we like it or not.

When Life Gives You Lemons, You Paint That Sh*T Gold by Atmosphere (really anything Slug raps) is fantastic story telling.

Good Kid Maad City by Kendrick is arguable the best story telling rap album of all time.

It just depends on what you like. Every rapper has strengths. Kanye's weakness is his vocal skill and that's of huge import to a lot of listeners. His strengths are all creative, which matters most to me.

IDK

I know some song writers and listening to them it sounds like there are several in the country music world.

People definitely take a lot, but I think most artists you've actually heard of have a decent hand in the creative.

Like there is this Swedish company that writes pop music for hundreds of big names, and it sounds totally stupid on the surface...but in a doc I learned how they actually collab. It was Pink and literally all they had to start was the guitar riff for that Start a Fight song, and they wrote the rest of it all together, with her working out the lyrics as they did it. So yeah, they wrote it but it's her song, too. It wasn't just handed over. Even when it is handed over, they still make it their own in the production process.

It just depends on what you like. Every rapper has strengths. Kanye's weakness is his vocal skill and that's of huge import to a lot of listeners. His strengths are all creative, which matters most to me.

He's almost crazy creative... okay, he is crazy. But he's not above thinking well outside the established norm for new content.

I know you appreciate music. This wasn't directed towards you.

'Cept Phantogram is almost 20 years old 🤣
Dang, I had no idea. I just picked them up maybe 7-8 years ago. They seemed fairly young when I last saw them live in Asheville. I know, I know. . . I'm getting old

I can't stand KL. He sounds like a more talented Drake. Which still means he sounds like Drake

Bob Dylan, "Subterranean Homesick Blues"

Johnny Cash, "One Piece at a Time"
I see where you're going with those but believe when most people think in terms of modern* rap it's inextricably tied to hip hop origins. Actually the rap portion of the aforementioned Rapture has the term hip hop in the lyrics.

*OK, if I stayed at a Holiday Inn Xpress for a week I still wouldn't consider myself any sort of expert on rap but not too very long ago I was around some people that are big into all things music and heard some things I'll try to relate here. Basically rhythmic and rhyming talk "songs" have been around a very long time. Things that fell under the umbrella of folk and "talking blues" have quite a bit of history. I don't recall One Piece being mentioned but I definitely remember SHB being brought up and described as proto-rap.

I have difficulty with reverse engineering the parameters too far. For instance is Hot Rod Lincoln a rap song? Practically anything by Red Sovine? Convoy? That goofy Coming to Take Me Away novelty song? I've no idea how to give a definitive answer. I personally wouldn't say so but wouldn't include SHB or OPAAT either.

Reactions: AM64
Goose
Tyler Childers
Phantogram
Zach Bryan
NF

Props for the ones i like. Gonna check out the other 1. Also, NF is about the only rap released in the last 20 years that i actively listen to. Doesn't mean that I dont like a song here and there from others...nor that they all lack talent ...but as far as me choosing songs on the Aux to listen to NF is the only new rap music i choose to listen to.
* i also listen to Post Malone, but prefer his Tiny Desk to the studio stuff
Edit:

Had almost 3 full pages of catching up. Furthermore on rap:

Best old school IMO
Southern fried
Outkast
Goodie Mob
8ball n MJG

East Coast
Biggie
WuTang
Nas
Jay Z
Tribe
Digable Planets

West coast
NWA then..
Dre
Snoop
Cube
Bone thugz
2pac

RAGE. period. 2 albums straight you can play top to bottom and every song is a banger. A solid case can be made that Zack is better than anyone else mentioned here...and he actually had something to say.

Last edited:

VN Store

Back