Official Gramps' Memorial Eternal OT Thread

Maybe it's just an aside but while Rapper's Delight was (I'm almost positive) the first rap song to break the US Top 40 I wanted to give a shout out to Blondie that took, I'll call it "rap inclusive", Rapture to #1 only a few months after RD.

D Harry is older than Boomers.

Maybe it's just an aside but while Rapper's Delight was (I'm almost positive) the first rap song to break the US Top 40 I wanted to give a shout out to Blondie that took, I'll call it "rap inclusive", Rapture to #1 only a few months after RD.

Bob Dylan, "Subterranean Homesick Blues"

Johnny Cash, "One Piece at a Time"

Reactions: n_huffhines
Mac Miller
Kendrick Lamar
Danny Brown
Aesop Rock
Brother Ali
Action Bronson
Vince Staples
Outkast
MF DOOM
Atmosphere
JPEGMAFIA
Tyler the Creator

Just to name a few from the past 15 years.

I don't doubt you own those CD's. It's just a very basic list littered with half baked, commercially appealing garbage that generally presents a mediocre iteration of hip hop.

No Wu Tang, Digable Planets, Tribe Called Quest, Nas, De La Soul, Talib Kweli, or Mos Def? Tsk tsk.

Outkast I consider more in the 90s rap. They went pop after the millennium.

I'll give you Kendrick Lamar. I'll even give Huff Ye (never was a fan, but he was original). I left a little room in my original post for exceptions.

Never heard of the others. Which is why I said most aren't original. I'm sure you'll tell me all about how I'm wrong, but it's still the point. The birth and growth of rap and gangsta rap in the 80s and 90s was edgy, it was explicit, it was meant to draw shock and attention, it was a spotlight on a way of life and it was an outlet.

And mostly just copied by whatever "rising star" one of the labels puts out since the turn of the century.

As Rabbit so eloquently put it, "Pay attention you're saying the same sh!t that he said."

Outkast I consider more in the 90s rap. They went pop after the millennium.

I'll give you Kendrick Lamar. I'll even give Huff Ye (never was a fan, but he was original). I left a little room in my original post for exceptions.

Never heard of the others. Which is why I said most aren't original. I'm sure you'll tell me all about how I'm wrong, but it's still the point. The birth and growth of rap and gangsta rap in the 80s and 90s was edgy, it was explicit, it was meant to draw shock and attention, it was a spotlight on a way of life and it was an outlet.

And mostly just copied by whatever "rising star" one of the labels puts out since the turn of the century.

As Rabbit so eloquently put it, "Pay attention you're saying the same sh!t that he said."

You're not wrong. You just don't know what you're talking about.

How can you say "I haven't even heard of most of these" and then immediately say "they aren't original?"

Come on! You have to see how utterly absurd that is.

One spot where you are wrong is regarding Outkast. Definitely made volumes of hip hop post 2000.

@DinkinFlicka
Probably best not to bomb clearwater's thread any longer. Hip hop album go to selections.
De la soul- Buhloone mindstate, 3 feet high and rising, and Stake's is high
A tribe called quest- Low end theory, midnight marauders, and people's instinctive travels & path of rhythm
Wu tang- 36 chambers and wu tang forever
three six mafia- The end
Del the funky homosapien- both sides of the brain
Just off the top of my head.

@DinkinFlicka
Probably best not to bomb clearwater's thread any longer. Hip hop album go to selections.
De la soul- Buhloone mindstate, 3 feet high and rising, and Stake's is high
A tribe called quest- Low end theory, midnight marauders, and people's instinctive travels & path of rhythm
Wu tang- 36 chambers and wu tang forever
three six mafia- The end
Del the funky homosapien- both sides of the brain
Just off the top of my head.

Yeah I saw that I gave the mods overtime in moving this in here 🤣

How did I leave Del off that list? Love his work with Gorillaz.

Reactions: PEPPERJAX
You're not wrong. You just don't know what you're talking about.

How can you say "I haven't even heard of most of these" and then immediately say "they aren't original?"

Come on! You have to see how utterly absurd that is.

One spot where you are wrong is regarding Outkast. Definitely made volumes of hip hop post 2000.

No, I don't see the absurdity behind it. What originality do they bring? What new content are they bringing to light? Anything new that hadn't been covered in the last 20 years?

Who today rivals someone like Tupac? Other than maybe Lamar. Which album today could rival Me Against the World? That whole album was brilliant and pretty much painted a life story in lyrics.

No, I don't see the absurdity behind it. What originality do they bring? What new content are they bringing to light? Anything new that hadn't been covered in the last 20 years?

Who today rivals someone like Tupac? Other than maybe Lamar. Which album today could rival Me Against the World? That whole album was brilliant and pretty much painted a life story in lyrics.

You can ask those questions when you listen to the artists themselves instead of blindly, and I cannot stress this enough, blindly accusing them of rehashing the same formulae.

These artists have walked different paths, grown up in different places, and have their own stories to tell.

Your critique is absurd and completely defeats the purpose of making new music within certain genres. Rock and roll has been beaten to death and you *still* have nuances that are original coming out today. Miss me with that logic, sir.

You can ask those questions when you listen to the artists themselves instead of blindly, and I cannot stress this enough, blindly accusing them of rehashing the same formulae.

These artists have walked different paths, grown up in different places, and have their own stories to tell.

Your critique is absurd and completely defeats the purpose of making new music within certain genres. Rock and roll has been beaten to death and you *still* have nuances that are original coming out today. Miss me with that logic, sir.

So...

Nobody rivaling Tupac. Got it.

I'm obsessed with good music. I like musicians that actually play instruments and can actually sing without electronic assistance.... even if they are off key a little. You and I have different tastes. I can live with that. It apparently bothers you and there is some kind of one upsmanship that you are in dire need of.

OK.

You win.

It's like a guy thousands of years ago hating on the lute player saying everything should be a capella.

If it sounds good, it sounds good. It's not all about how the sausage is made. That's not even secondary.

Actually, I hate on new country as well. A lot of it is recycled.

I'm obsessed with good music. I like musicians that actually play instruments and can actually sing without electronic assistance.... even if they are off key a little. You and I have different tastes. I can live with that. It apparently bothers you and there is some kind of one upsmanship that you are in dire need of.

OK.

You win.

It bothers me? I'm just responding to old dudes attempting to blindly dunk on entire genres of music.

There's no one upping here. I'm not close minded enough to blacklist thousands of artists over asinine reasons like "muh electronics.''

It's a very luddite approach to art.

VN Store

Back