Official Bracketology Thread

But everything the staff did before was counterintuitive to your stance. You have complained about his recruiting from day one. I guess what people are trying to make you understand/agree with, is that Barnes has done a better job building his program's foundation.

Now, you didn't like their approach, but you all but admitted that you'd prefer our position over Bama or MSU in your above statement. I think there was purpose in his method, and a lot of people didn't like it, yourself included, but you can't really argue with the results, and hopefully those results now lead to better players. I don't think anyone is insisting we NOT recruit top-100 talent because what we're doing seems to work just fine. Some of us just aren't mailing it in on Barnes because he isn't bringing in 4* after 4* yet, because we feel he can coach up the lesser heralded kids he does land.

The program is still trending up, and when the time comes that it isn't, and Barnes can't get better talent to take us further, then he needs to go. Few would argue otherwise.

Haven't complained from day 1. Completely false.

I don't understand your first sentence.

My complaints started when he whiffed in fall of 2016 and we filled a bunch of spots in the spring again in 2017.

But everything the staff did before was counterintuitive to your stance. You have complained about his recruiting from day one. I guess what people are trying to make you understand/agree with, is that Barnes has done a better job building his program's foundation.

Now, you didn't like their approach, but you all but admitted that you'd prefer our position over Bama or MSU in your above statement. I think there was purpose in his method, and a lot of people didn't like it, yourself included, but you can't really argue with the results, and hopefully those results now lead to better players. I don't think anyone is insisting we NOT recruit top-100 talent because what we're doing seems to work just fine. Some of us just aren't mailing it in on Barnes because he isn't bringing in 4* after 4* yet, because we feel he can coach up the lesser heralded kids he does land.

The program is still trending up, and when the time comes that it isn't, and Barnes can't get better talent to take us further, then he needs to go. Few would argue otherwise.

Good post

The complaints about recruiting have to slow when results prove they were wrong

It's why my negativity has ceased

Good post

The complaints about recruiting have to slow when results prove they were wrong

It's why my negativity has ceased

This has been my stance all along, if we didn’t continue to see improvement then ok...but it’s why I asked about making the dance this year if people would be happy with the roster, Ziti is one of the few that said he wouldn’t be. He has pretty much said that Barnes could win the national championship this year and that he would still say he needs to recruit better, it’s an odd stance, one I don’t get.

I'm saying that's our best players since Lofton through the Tyndall era.

Regardless of ranking those are the guys who were the best players for us. I may have missed a transfer. In fact, I know I did. Jeronne Maymon. Ranked 47. I'll edit and add him.

Well GW is better than Stokes and I could make a helluva case that Schofield is better than Hubbs

This has been my stance all along, if we didn’t continue to see improvement then ok...but it’s why I asked about making the dance this year if people would be happy with the roster, Ziti is one of the few that said he wouldn’t be. He has pretty much said that Barnes could win the national championship this year and that he would still say he needs to recruit better, it’s an odd stance, one I don’t get.

I believe I said I would be happy with the result if we made the dance but hope that we'd use our success to recruit better in the future.

I would say most would agree with that stance.

I believe I said I would be happy with the result if we made the dance but hope that we'd use our success to recruit better in the future.

Does that mean Barnes has done a good job to date recruiting if he makes the dance this year ?

I think 99% of this board would agree on expectations/hope for this program...make the tourney every year, finish top 5 in the SEC and make the occasional tourney run.

If Barnes does that I’m not sure how anyone can say he needs to recruit better when his program is meeting all expectations?

I think 99% of this board would agree on expectations/hope for this program...make the tourney every year, finish top 5 in the SEC and make the occasional tourney run.

If Barnes does that I’m not sure how anyone can say he needs to recruit better when his program is meeting all expectations?

He hasn't done that.

Reactions: 1 person
So if he does that this year you will change your stance? Didn’t think so.

He is going to do all the things you listed by making the tournament this year?

Lol. You keep dreaming up scenarios that haven't happened. We are 1-2 in the conference right now. Lots of work to be done to "go to the tournament every year" and meet all the expectations you just laid out there.

Not what I asked

I know last week you said we weren't going to make the tourney and if we don't it will be hard to be so positive minded

Bump the post. I'd like to see how I said that. I'm thinking I said I was leaning towards us doing worse than 10-8 in conference play.

Bump the post. I'd like to see how I said that. I'm thinking I said I was leaning towards us doing worse than 10-8 in conference play.

It was said the RF. You and Involy were talking about Barnes being gone after the auburn loss

He is going to do all the things you listed by making the tournament this year?

Lol. You keep dreaming up scenarios that haven't happened. We are 1-2 in the conference right now. Lots of work to be done to "go to the tournament every year" and meet all the expectations you just laid out there.

Finish Top 5 in league, make the dance...those are on the table.

Like I said, didn’t think so. Why not just say that you’ll never be satisfied with his recruiting regardless or results?

Haven't complained from day 1. Completely false.

I don't understand your first sentence.

My complaints started when he whiffed in fall of 2016 and we filled a bunch of spots in the spring again in 2017.

You said everything the staff is doing on the recruiting trail right now points to them agreeing with your stance.

My first sentence was pointing out that everything they did to this point was counterintuitive to that stance. Of course the staff wants better talent. Show me a coach who'd say otherwise and I'll show you a liar.

I do apologize, however, for unintentionally misrepresenting the timeframe of your grievances.

Also, Stokes > Grant.

And arguing about how good the worst player on that list (Hubbs) doesn't really help your point that much.

I listed the best 13 Vols in an 11 year period. 9 of them were top 50 players. 2 were juco 3* players and 2 were top 150 3* players.

Hubbs was better than Schofield but Hubbs was definitely a bust as far as not living up to the ranking and is probably the weakest player in that group I listed and just based on preference I'd probably take Scho over him just based on attitude and toughness.

Finish Top 5 in league, make the dance...those are on the table.

Like I said, didn’t think so. Why not just say that you’ll never be satisfied with his recruiting regardless or results?

Make the dance every year is not on the table. That takes years to do. And it takes a healthy roster with talent and depth to keep something like that going. If we keep recruiting a roster that filled with unranked 3* it will be tough to sustain success. What happens when Bowden, Bone, Turner and Grant all graduate? What happens if Grant is injured?

Also, Stokes > Grant.

And arguing about how good the worst player on that list (Hubbs) doesn't really help your point that much.

I listed the best 13 Vols in an 11 year period. 9 of them were top 50 players. 2 were juco 3* players and 2 were top 150 3* players.

Hubbs was better than Schofield but Hubbs was definitely a bust as far as not living up to the ranking and is probably the weakest player in that group I listed and just based on preference I'd probably take Scho over him just based on attitude and toughness.

Williams is better in every area than stokes minus rebounding. Much better all around scorer and player. He averages more than stokes did in year 3

He's just plain better

Last edited:
Also, Stokes > Grant.

Start a poll for Stokes vs. Williams and Schofield vs. Hubbs...doubt the results go your way.

But let me guess...once again everyone else is wrong?

Make the dance every year is not on the table. That takes years to do. And it takes a healthy roster with talent and depth to keep something like that going. If we keep recruiting a roster that filled with unranked 3* it will be tough to sustain success. What happens when Bowden, Bone, Turner and Grant all graduate? What happens if Grant is injured?

And what happens if there’s a tsunami that wipes out TBA?

I remember people saying what happens when McRae leaves? Well then what about when Richardson leaves? Ok but then what about when Punter leaves? Ok but then what about when Hubbs leaves? Ok but then what about when Grant leaves?

Williams is better in every area than stokes minus rebounding. Much better all around scorer and player. He averages more than stokes did in year 3

He's just plain better not

He averages .7 more points and Stokes played with 2 guys who got drafted. Stokes averaged 3 more rebounds a game.

Stokes in year 3 was same age as Grant.

And what happens if there’s a tsunami that wipes out TBA?

I remember people saying what happens when McRae leaves? Well then what about when Richardson leaves? Ok but then what about when Punter leaves? Ok but then what about when Hubbs leaves? Ok but then what about when Grant leaves?

Well we missed the tourney when McRae left and haven't went back so......

Anyone worrying about Hubbs leaving was crazy anyway.

Point is you need a talented roster to sustain success.

All of this is pointless. You will defend Barnes to the death. You've already decided he's the new Cuonzo and can do no wrong.

VN Store

Back