Official Bracketology Thread

When you were bragging about Mississippi State the other day.

I just said wins were following. Hard to do a lot better than 13-2. Obviously they are gonna have to do well in conference play.

The talent level there is miles better than when he got there. They are gonna be good at some point.

Common misconception by fans (especially posters on this forum) is that 4* guys are immediate impact SEC players. That’s just not true. Take a guy like Jordan McRae. He was here for 2.5 years before he put it together. Then he became a star. Other guys like cam Tatum took a couple years to reach their potential as well. Most of the time it takes a year or two for guys to get their footing. The one and done guys like Tobias are on another level.

So just because you sign some 4* doesn’t mean instant success. But imo it raises your ceiling for the future the more you sign because not only does it give you more talent but the chances of one of those 4* or 5* guys becoming a big time difference maker is better than when you sign guys ranked 200+.

I just said wins were following. Hard to do a lot better than 13-2. Obviously they are gonna have to do well in conference play.

The talent level there is miles better than when he got there. They are gonna be good at some point.

Common misconception by fans (especially posters on this forum) is that 4* guys are immediate impact SEC players. That’s just not true. Take a guy like Jordan McRae. He was here for 2.5 years before he put it together. Then he became a star. Other guys like cam Tatum took a couple years to reach their potential as well. Most of the time it takes a year or two for guys to get their footing. The one and done guys like Tobias are on another level.

So just because you sign some 4* doesn’t mean instant success. But imo it raises your ceiling for the future the more you sign because not only does it give you more talent but the chances of one of those 4* or 5* guys becoming a big time difference maker is better than when you sign guys ranked 200+.

Ziti,

You are a guy that values recruiting and rankings.

Would you rather be Miss state now or us??

How about Bama?

Reactions: 1 person

Mississippi State will be interesting to follow and see where they end up, they are an extreme long shot as of today to make the dance. They’re in Year 3 with all these highly rated guys you speak of, Barnes is also in Year 3...shouldn’t Howland’s 4&5 star guys be impact players before Barnes’ 3 star guys?

This goes back a little to my post yesterday, but Howland had one of his 5* transfer after a year because he was unhappy, he’s had a 4* this year declare his intentions to transfer at semesters break, so attrition has been a bit of an issue for him at State which is something I mentioned you tend to run into more with higher ranked guys, or at least attrition of quality players...losing Kwe Parker/Ray Kasongo isn’t the same impact as them losing a 5*.

Answering questions with other questions. Might as well be admitting defeat imo. :whistling:

You guys are exaggerating my stance on recruiting. If you're not willing to have an honest conversation then I don't see the point in discussing it really.

Ziti,

You are a guy that values recruiting and rankings.

Would you rather be Miss state now or us??

How about Bama?

Obviously us.

Just because Avery Johnson is failing doesn't mean I shouldn't want Barnes to do a better job recruiting.

Rick Barnes has completely changed his recruiting targets recently. Meaning his targets are much more highly rated than the past. Everything we are doing on the trail right now points to our staff agreeing with my stance. We need more talent.

You guys are exaggerating my stance on recruiting. If you're not willing to have an honest conversation then I don't see the point in discussing it really.

I am asking. I can see both sides of question being appropriate. I like MSU and Bama teams a lot. The issue for them imo is they aren't keeping their team together as long as we will and we are already arguably are better

Mississippi State will be interesting to follow and see where they end up, they are an extreme long shot as of today to make the dance. They’re in Year 3 with all these highly rated guys you speak of, Barnes is also in Year 3...shouldn’t Howland’s 4&5 star guys be impact players before Barnes’ 3 star guys?

This goes back a little to my post yesterday, but Howland had one of his 5* transfer after a year because he was unhappy, he’s had a 4* this year declare his intentions to transfer at semesters break, so attrition has been a bit of an issue for him at State which is something I mentioned you tend to run into more with higher ranked guys, or at least attrition of quality players...losing Kwe Parker/Ray Kasongo isn’t the same impact as them losing a 5*.

Idk if Howland will ever put it together. But their ceiling is higher than ours going forward if we don't start landing better players.

You made a good post about recruiting the other day. The "what if" post. What if we had landed just a little better players? Are we 12-2 right now and top 10?

Again, what always gets lost by posters who attack my position is these two things.....

1. I think Barnes has done a good job this year
2. I don't think we should be landing a bunch of 5*. I simply think Barnes can and should do a better job of landing guys who are more highly rated.

Let's re rank our team now and see if this changes the narrative that we aren't talented

Williams 5 star
Bone 4 star
Bowden 4 star
Schofield 4 star

That's a very solid core that is staying here awhile

Reactions: 1 person
You mean two programs that have won Natty s?

Come on this is weak

It was an exaggeration.

You keep recruiting like those teams are doing and you will win most likely. I think Avery Johnson is a bad coach though. Howland on the other hand has won before and I think he will do it again but there's a limit to how much can be done in Starkville.

Idk if Howland will ever put it together. But their ceiling is higher than ours going forward if we don't start landing better players.

You made a good post about recruiting the other day. The "what if" post. What if we had landed just a little better players? Are we 12-2 right now and top 10?

Again, what always gets lost by posters who attack my position is these two things.....

1. I think Barnes has done a good job this year
2. I don't think we should be landing a bunch of 5*. I simply think Barnes can and should do a better job of landing guys who are more highly rated.

If their guys stay 4 years I agree MSU has a higher ceiling but they ain't staying that long

It was an exaggeration.

You keep recruiting like those teams are doing and you will win most likely. I think Avery Johnson is a bad coach though. Howland on the other hand has won before and I think he will do it again but there's a limit to how much can be done in Starkville.

Hasn't MSU been to a final four?

Let's re rank our team now and see if this changes the narrative that we aren't talented

Williams 5 star
Bone 4 star
Bowden 4 star
Schofield 4 star

That's a very solid core that is staying here awhile

I disagree with that re-ranking. Not gonna go into it because it will get twisted as me bashing our players.

Do you ever add anything of value or just show up and defend BTO?

You beg for honest conversation and then offer nothing close to it when someone engages you. My time here is better spent pointing out that you are full of ****.

Hasn't MSU been to a final four?

Yeah. One FF and 3 Sweet 16s.

The final four run is why I say you just gotta keep making the dance. Anyone who makes it in can go on a run.

I would put that in the anomaly category for that program.

You beg for honest conversation and then offer nothing close to it when someone engages you. My time here is better spent pointing out that you are full of ****.

Actually I do. You just don't like it.

Now run along Chester. Spike needs you.

VN Store

Back