Official Boxing thread

Floyd Mayweather might be the last of a dinosaur

As far as an American contender, you might be right. The winner gets a shot against Khan, or Berto, but I can't see that working out well.

If these guys had a war tonight, I could see a big PPV coming, but what is coming is the winner getting executed by Amir Khan, and the winner will throw his hat into the Pac/PBF lounge.

With both guys not having knock out power it hurts the fight. I'd say both are staying on their heels.

With both guys not having knock out power it hurts the fight. I'd say both are staying on their heels.

They aren't fighting to potential, Alexander has finished some high level fighters, yet he basically sucks tonight.

Both are afraid to lose.

Which is why they will fight with Calvin Banks and Kelly Pavlik over a subway footlong instead of being legitimate contenders to a meaningful title.

I'm already wincing at the thought of Khan ranging Bradley with the left jab and then wrecking with a short right hook.

Noch what do you think about the Fighting Pride of Manchester coming out to fight one of these guys, as both showed out to be sorry asses who won't get a date with one of the big draws

Noch what do you think about the Fighting Pride of Manchester coming out to fight one of these guys, as both showed out to be sorry asses who won't get a date with one of the big draws

Yeah, that was a pretty dreadful fight. I still think Alexander is the better boxer but he seems to refuse to be a fighter at all, he's completely opposed to ever wanting to mix it up. Bradley is a solid, but limited fighter. That being said, I'm not convinced that Hatton would handle either of their speed very well. He never seemed to deal with top class hand speed very well, both of these guys (especially Alexander) have that. I just wish the Alexander that absolutely flattened Urango would show up again. Sadly, he hasn't shown up for the last few fights.

Jean Pascal and Hopkins fight again. Yay. I am a big fan of merging some divisions if this is actually what a title fight at light heavy consists of.
Posted via VolNation Mobile

Jean Pascal and Hopkins fight again. Yay. I am a big fan of merging some divisions if this is actually what a title fight at light heavy consists of.

Yeah, there would really be a lot more appealing options if they made a catchweight at 170 to merge super middle and light heavy. Between Pascal, Hopkins, Dawson, Bute, Ward, etc. they could come up with some really interesting fights. Right now the only thing intriguing left in either of the two is Super Six winner vs. Bute sometime next year probably.

Also, while he deserves all the credit in the world for being as good as he is still, I'm not a fan of Hopkins being involved in anything right now. He's a HOFer but I can't stand to watch his fights.

Now for something I am excited about though. This Saturday night HBO has a fight that I've been looking forward to getting made for quite a while now, Fernando Montiel vs. Nonito Donaire. They're only bantamweights but both of these guys can really throw, there's some serious potential with this fight.

Here's Donaire with the KO of the year in 07 over Darchinyan:

YouTube - Classic Knockouts #1: Nonito Donaire vs Vic Darchinyan

As for Montiel, gets good at the 2:50 mark:

YouTube - Hozumi Hasegawa vs. Fernando Montiel (KO) ~ Boxing

He was a big underdog going against Hasegawa that fight, too.

Donaire is IMO a top 5 p4p guy, but he'll never get that credit at his weight, sadly.

I see CBS is going to do some run-up stuff for Pacquiao/Moseley, that's good for PR. The fight won't be, but having anything boxing related on network TV is a good step forward.

For the sport to get back to mainstream, someone needs to waylay the steroid kid. I don't see it happening anytime soon.

Last edited:
I don't know if I'd put Donaire quite that high but I can definitely see the argument for it. He makes for exciting fights though and that's enough for me.

There's still a long way to go from having it ever actually happen and to say I'm skeptical is an understatement BUT if some of the things they are supposedly considering with CBS/Showtime are true, it could be a very good thing for boxing. I still remember watching one of Roy Jones, Jr.'s first few pro fights after the 88 games on ABC's WWoS. I was probably only 8 years old at the time and I was hooked, the sport could really use that exposure again.

As for Manny, I know you don't like him, and I respect why but I think you're wrong about it being a benefit for him to lose. If there is any sort of resurgence its got to be from him captivating people. Who else could you see leading that charge right now?

Zab Judah and Kaizer Mabuza are fighting on PPV, too bad, it could have headlined a decent pay cable Saturday card.

Yeah, Zab's been working with Sweetpea in his camp for this fight, I'd be interested to see if it was actually paying any dividends. He looked impressive in the start of his last fight but barely hung on in the end.

I just doubt Zab has the head to ever meet his ability, It's rare that a talented fighter outkicks his coverage, but he's done it.

Zab had PBF beat, but once adversity reared its head he collapsed, he had outboxed the best technician in the game for almost 15 minutes, then the moron came out once he got countered.

Definitely only has himself to blame, had the ability. Now they seem to say he's finally gotten his head right but it's too late, his window is on the way to being closed.

Now for something I am excited about though. This Saturday night HBO has a fight that I've been looking forward to getting made for quite a while now, Fernando Montiel vs. Nonito Donaire. They're only bantamweights but both of these guys can really throw, there's some serious potential with this fight.

Here's Donaire with the KO of the year in 07 over Darchinyan:

YouTube - Classic Knockouts #1: Nonito Donaire vs Vic Darchinyan

As for Montiel, gets good at the 2:50 mark:

YouTube - Hozumi Hasegawa vs. Fernando Montiel (KO) ~ Boxing

He was a big underdog going against Hasegawa that fight, too.

Thanks for the reminder. Almost forgot the fight was tomm nite.

VN Store

Back