Official Boxing thread

I have to say that the wording of that title is a bit odd placed right next to that avatar of yours

Teddy is a good dude. His foundation does tons of good things for kids in the NYC, and he strives to make kids better there. Milo or GA, whoever catches this first on mop up mod duty, please copy, or send, this to the Boxing thread.

Also recommend Teddy's book for anyone who has demons in life, it was a real inspiration to me,

You don't think that Morales has Manny within one solid counter straight of going down in the 2nd fight?

Wait, I may have misread you the first time, I thought you were talking about the 2nd Marquez fight with Manny, not Morales.

But either way, I tend to think Erik will be guns ready to engage against JMM. That said, I don't think it likely Erik wins, but he can, if the time off treated him well.

Ready and willing? Yes. Able? I don't think so. He keeps winning in this comeback of his but its been far from impressive. The win last month against Lorenzo, who was a last minute fill in, was far from a whitewash. The fact that one judge gave it EM 116-111 was a joke, he won for sure, but not like that. I'd love nothing more than to be proven wrong here because, at one point in time maybe 4 years ago, this fight could have been epic. Now I don't have that same feeling.

You understand why Morales is my favorite of all time, and why JMM is up there, and if it is that kind of fight, who knows what happens. Manny will never drop to 130 or 135 to fight the winner, so it's all for naught, but I think the winner would have a puncher's chance of giving him the business at that weight.

I completely understand why you feel that way about both guys, it's hard not to like the mexican warriors like those guys. You're right, Manny isn't coming down to their size anymore no matter what happens but I wouldn't have the confidence in either of them in another fight with Pac. Again, I think EM's day has passed. Marquez has still shown he can fight in a high class but he's become even more of a puncher than before because he's slowed down some. I haven't seen any evidence Manny has slowed down at all yet, and I don't think losing speed is going to prove a good thing if there ever were a MP - JMM III.

Kelly is out of rehab, what do you think about that? Will Joe go for a payday and whip him, or will he beat the snot out of Kessler?

I like Kelly a lot, the first Taylor fight is still one of my favorite fights to watch, but he's got a long way to go at this point. If all goes well and he's really able to control his issues I would think the best case scenario for him would be a couple tune up fights (or maybe a mid level guy like Andrade late in the year) this year with an eye to a big name fight next year. This being boxing, I'm sure it's much more likely that they rush him back for the sake of a name fight and big payday, I hope not though.

As for Joe, I really don't know who there is out there for him to fight that is good enough and a big enough name to draw him back out. Bute draws big but only in Montreal and Joe ain't going to someone elses home turf. Ward, assuming he wins the Super 6, wouldn't be big enough to bring him back, I wouldn't think.

All this Morales talk got me thinking about one of the most over debated boxing topics, greatest trilogy ever?

Morales/Barrera may be it.
Posted via VolNation Mobile

Might be. My go to answer is usually Marquez/Vazquez but watching a bunch of those Morales/Barrera highlights reminded me of how great those fights really were.

I've got to find a full set for the price of (free).

There will always be the Mickey/Arturo sayers, but they haven't seen the trilogy to know that Mickey was outgunned in the last 2.

Why I put Morales/Barrera over Marquez/Vasquez is that for 24, if not all 36 rounds, of the Mexican War, there were 2 of the top 8, if not 5, p4p fighters in the world engaged.

Best series ever, 2 of my favorite fighters ever, with Joe C, Kelly, and JL Castillo.

So I gotta believe that El Terrible will come out and smash JMM, though it isn't likely. I will pay for this on my TV instead of bandit streams, however....for, as Buffer will say "A Battle of two true Mexican Warriors..."

By the way, Noch, do you think JCC jr will ever fight someone who doesn't drive a Taxi, or Alfredo Angullo will get a fight against a name brand opponent that he will ruin?

There will always be the Mickey/Arturo sayers, but they haven't seen the trilogy to know that Mickey was outgunned in the last 2.

Exactly, as much as I loved watching those fights, it's overrated as a trilogy because of the first fight, after that it became much less competitive.

Why I put Morales/Barrera over Marquez/Vasquez is that for 24, if not all 36 rounds, of the Mexican War, there were 2 of the top 8, if not 5, p4p fighters in the world engaged.

That's a pretty fair statement as to the overall level of the fighters at the time, I just thought that throughout all three of the Izzy/Raffy fights it was both an absolute war and razor thin margin between the two. But I understand plenty of people would argue the same for Morales/Barrera and they definitely wouldn't be wrong. In the end, they were both amazing and I think it just comes down to personal preference.

Best series ever, 2 of my favorite fighters ever, with Joe C, Kelly, and JL Castillo.

My favorite fighter ever would have to be Sweet Pea, both because of him just being an overall badass in the ring but also because of the hometown bias. After that though both Raffy and Izzy would rank high on my list bc of their trilogy, just like you with Morales and Barrera.

So I gotta believe that El Terrible will come out and smash JMM, though it isn't likely. I will pay for this on my TV instead of bandit streams, however....for, as Buffer will say "A Battle of two true Mexican Warriors..."

I'm a fan of JMM too so I usually root for him when he's in the ring but I'll right there with you rooting for Morales that night, I'm just afraid we will both be disappointed after it's over.

By the way, Noch, do you think JCC jr will ever fight someone who doesn't drive a Taxi, or Alfredo Angullo will get a fight against a name brand opponent that he will ruin?

I'm pretty skeptical about Jr. ever fighting any one worth a damn because he doesn't have to. As much as I'd love to see him step up in competition as a fight fan, the ugly reality is that, financially speaking, his promoters can have him stay in Mexico, fight bums, and still profit just bc of his name.

As for Angulo, I'm just not sure what he wants to do. Does he want to actually try and prove himself as an elite fighter or not? He already turned down $750k earlier this year to fight Sergio Martinez. Maybe he just saw that as too big a step up in competition (rightly so) right now and wants to progress slower, so be it. I'm just not sure that's what it was in this case, I kinda got the impression that he just wasn't interested in getting to that level.

Looks as if Haye will fight Ruslan Chagaev next. I can't see how the WBA hasn't pulled his Title.

Watching it now on espn 3, btw what kind of Goomba can't spell Goomba?

Manfredo is trash, as is Mora. If nothing else they parlayed their show into good paychecks getting beat up by legitimate fighters.

First (pretty) big fight of the year this weekend in Bradley - Alexander. This fight lost a little bit of steam from some of the hype it was getting last year due to Alexander barely getting by Kotelnik thanks to some hometown judges, but it's still a fight between 2 of the top 3 guys at 140. The winner will likely get Kahn next and/or jump to 147 and have their name thrown in the mythical "superfight" hat for guys like Pac and May(if he's not in jail), or just "big" fights with a guy like Berto.

Anyone watching? Who you got?

I think Devon wins, I wish this fight had more hype behind it, 2 undefeated Americans. I see a battle coming, too bad that HBO didn't lease the rights to ESPN or Versus.

I fail as a scene guy, as i haven't seen either live, but Alexander has a better scalp count, IMO. Neither have shown stopping power, which will keep American from getting into the 140s as a big draw. It's hard to win hearts and minds when Amir Khan is pulverizing people, and they both have ghetto mindsets.

So Boxing from 130-146 will continue to suck in the USA, as the ethnic hero's from the northeast that draw attendance and ppv buys like Hatton, Duddy, and Malinaggi don't carry the gloves and chin that their ethnic draw brings.

I don't think it will ever get to the level that it was at one time.

Well, since Lamp just said that only in camp that Tommy Hearns told Bradley the importance of a big right hand, it won't.

I think Ricky Hatton would probably chin these guys to the mat, and the winner will get ranged and then destroyed by Khan in 6 or less. I'm not impressed.

VN Store

Back