Non-Lady Vol Basketball News 2023-24

Congrats to the So Car fans. What a season.

Also today, the LVs conceded ever being a threat to you again for many many years. Not with a bang but a whimper.
Are you that down on the Kim Caldwell hire? As long as she prevents this season from being a dumpster fire, I think it's way too early to concede anything above and beyond what already is (i.e. SC has been head and shoulders above the SEC, and has continued to recruit to stay in that position).

Are you that down on the Kim Caldwell hire? As long as she prevents this season from being a dumpster fire, I think it's way too early to concede anything above and beyond what already is (i.e. SC has been head and shoulders above the SEC, and has continued to recruit to stay in that position).
Shocked you would even have to ask. Yes I’m bitterly disappointed. DW may pull this unicorn out his arse, but I’m dumbfounded he had to take a gamble of this magnitude. And I’ll never understand how Kenny Brooks got away.

As you’ve said without a coach who can bring good players or make a major portal haul, this is a low tier SEC team at best. I just didn’t see a burn it down and hope it can be rebuilt on a wing and a prayer model coming. Perfect ending to one of the most frustrating seasons I’ve ever seen.

GULE slammed me a few years ago and said Dawn hasn't proved anything after the 2017 championship. He said it was one championship and it only happened because Miss St took out UCONN and that Dawn had never beaten UCONN. Hey GULE....what do you think of Dawn now. Has she proven anything yet? ;)

Shocked you would even have to ask. Yes I’m bitterly disappointed. DW may pull this unicorn out his arse, but I’m dumbfounded he had to take a gamble of this magnitude. And I’ll never understand how Kenny Brooks got away.

As you’ve said without a coach who can bring good players or make a major portal haul, this is a low tier SEC team at best. I just didn’t see a burn it down and hope it can be rebuilt on a wing and a prayer model coming. Perfect ending to one of the most frustrating seasons I’ve ever seen.
I'm not thrilled with the hire either (would have preferred Walz, Frese or any of the 2nd tier coaches whose names have been floating around). At the same time I'm cautiously optimistic. I don't thint it was a huge gamble because I think a change was needed regardless. It's not like Kellie had some stacked rosters or incoming recuits that Tennessee had to preserve. If she can keep the core players needed from transferring (and at the moment, it doesn't look like the mainstays are entertaining leaving), the odds are in her favor of getting more out of them than Kellie could. If she can get some portal pieces, even better.

I guess the problem was waiting too long to fire Kellie in order to stay in play with Kenny Brooks. I'd rate my optimism to be much higher than when Kellie was hired (I really thought they took the easy way out) and maybe marginally higher than Holly (Pat picked her, she had a lot of experience with the program, etc.). Tennessee needed new blood, and I'm hopeful that Kim can deliver with results.

GULE slammed me a few years ago and said Dawn hasn't proved anything after the 2017 championship. He said it was one championship and it only happened because Miss St took out UCONN and that Dawn had never beaten UCONN. Hey GULE....what do you think of Dawn now. Has she proven anything yet? ;)
It's gule...

joe-biden-cmon-man.gif

I'll say again what I said earlier about Kenny Brooks. His hiring confirms one of two scenarios.

1) Either he/Mitch Barnhart had a deadline before Tennessee's last tournament game, or
2) This was an abrupt snap decision. I'm leaning this way because if DW had this settled weeks ago and called Kenny and said "hey man this job is coming open. I decided in February. You just have to wait for our games to be done" I can't believe Kenny was like nah man I'm not interested. So I'm left to conclude he didn't do that because there was an event, a word, a comment something that caused Randy, Donde, DW, or a big time booster to be abruptly say nah were done here.

I'll say again what I said earlier about Kenny Brooks. His hiring confirms one of two scenarios.

1) Either he/Mitch Barnhart had a deadline before Tennessee's last tournament game, or
2) This was an abrupt snap decision. I'm leaning this way because if DW had this settled weeks ago and called Kenny and said "hey man this job is coming open. I decided in February. You just have to wait for our games to be done" I can't believe Kenny was like nah man I'm not interested. So I'm left to conclude he didn't do that because there was an event, a word, a comment something that caused Randy, Donde, DW, or a big time booster to be abruptly say nah were done here.
They wouldn’t have hired Brooks and everyone knows that.

Reactions: OL SMOKEY
This what I want to see when people on here are talking about the so called lack of Nil funds, I want to see actual numbers by each school and not speculation.

"Thanks to wealthy donors like John Tyson (Tyson Foods), Calipari is expected to have $5M in NIL fund"

Huh. I was unaware that posting an assertion from a social media post by Greenlight Media, whoever they are, qualified as "actual numbers." Neat.

We like to declare our conference the best. Certainly the top teams have earned that. As for the rest….

From the final AP Top 25 article:

“CONFERENCE SUPREMECY
The Pac-12 in its final season in its current form sent seven teams to the tournament and five of them reached the Sweet 16. Six teams are in the season-ending Top 25, with 15th-ranked Colorado and 22nd-ranked Utah joining USC, Oregon State, Stanford and UCLA.

The Big 12 also had six teams in the rankings. The ACC was next with five teams while the Big Ten had three. The SEC and Big East each had two while the West Coast Conference had Gonzaga.”

We led among Others receiving votes.

“OTHERS RECEIVING VOTES:
Tennessee 44, Nebraska 27, Mississippi 24, UNLV 20, Louisville 12, Middle Tennessee 8, North Carolina 7, Fairfield 6, Kansas 4, Alabama 2.”

Last edited:
Reactions: brittannica
Calipari going to Arkansas to get his cash for next 5 years.

Told Kentucky and their fans to shove it, great move imb.

Calipari may be in for some cash but Kentucky comes out of this smelling like roses. They are free of Calipari and his $33 million buyout and they can actually get a coach who isn't a has-been.

We like to declare our conference the best. Certainly the top teams have earned that. As for the rest….

From the final AP Top 25 article:

“CONFERENCE SUPREMECY
The Pac-12 in its final season in its current form sent seven teams to the tournament and five of them reached the Sweet 16. Six teams are in the season-ending Top 25, with 15th-ranked Colorado and 22nd-ranked Utah joining USC, Oregon State, Stanford and UCLA.

The Big 12 also had six teams in the rankings. The ACC was next with five teams while the Big Ten had three. The SEC and Big East each had two while the West Coast Conference had Gonzaga.”

We led among Others receiving votes.

“OTHERS RECEIVING VOTES:
Tennessee 44, Nebraska 27, Mississippi 24, UNLV 20, Louisville 12, Middle Tennessee 8, North Carolina 7, Fairfield 6, Kansas 4, Alabama 2.”

And yet, the SEC stays winning the championship.

Reactions: chuckiepoo

VN Store

Back