Non-Lady Vol Basketball News 2023-24

I wonder if this will continue in the post Caitlin Clark Era?
Well Angel Reese is gone as well, so viewership lasting is all on the networks. Of they give a player like Juju Watkins nonstop coverage like they did a certain player people will tune in, it depends on who they want to promote.

Reactions: Mr. Doo Wop
P.S. So, WHY does it seem reasonable and fair to schedule a women's national championship game at 3 p.m., but a men's national championship would never be in that slot?

i think we all know, and it should anger us all.

P.S. So, WHY does it seem reasonable and fair to schedule a women's national championship game at 3 p.m., but a men's national championship would never be in that slot?

i think we all know, and it should anger us all.
Don’t know and don’t care unless it’s us.

I would be shocked if we got a top 10 rated transfer group this year. Perhaps my biggest disappointment with the news of our coaching hire is that no one knows anything about her until it was publicized here due to the hire. Why in the world would transfer players who are good enough to play at good Power 5 teams drop their hopes to play for their dream coach and instead within a few week period commit to a coach who they likely never have heard of. She totally could end up being a great hire in the long run, but in the short run we are in a terrible disadvantage compared to what it would have been if we had hired a top tier proven coach. It now feels like we are really going to have to rebuild the program from the ground up, which at best means that we might be good again by her 3rd year. I am along for the ride and will consider next year a success just to get into the NCAA tourney. Hard to get excited about this scenario.
Saturday and Sunday afternoon sports is considered prime time. Those are the most watched sports time slots. That’s why CBS SEC featured football game is on Sat at 3:30 and the best NFL game at 4 on Sunday.

Congrats on the well-deserved national championship, Chicken. What a season! And, fortunately for Gamecock Nation and deeply UNfortunate for the rest of us, your dynasty may only continue to flourish as Dawn obviously knows how to maintain excellence. It ain't easy being at the top -- we Tennessee fans remember! -- but Dawn, and the super-supportive fanship that backs the program, sure are having a magical run.

I hope sometime soon-(ish? 🙏🏼) our Lady Vols will hoist another big trophy. Coach Caldwell and her teams are sure to work their @sses off in trying, no doubt. So y'all better enjoy your time in the sun, 'cause Orange is gonna be the new Black and Maroon before ya know it!

🧡🧡🧡🧡🧡🧡🤗🤗🤗🤗🤗🤗⬆️⬆️⬆️⬆️⬆️⬆️

Saturday and Sunday afternoon sports is considered prime time. Those are the most watched sports time slots. That’s why CBS SEC featured football game is on Sat at 3:30 and the best NFL game at 4 on Sunday.
I feel like people are conditioned to consider BASKETBALL's primetime to be either a 7 p.m. or 9 p.m. tipoff. I know at least two people who forgot to watch because they assumed it'd be at 7. (Yeah, I know. But these were casual fans)

I wonder if this will continue in the post Caitlin Clark Era?

I tend to believe it’s a roll of the dice. As a casual comparison, Jordan juiced the NBA until the next generation of superstars could mature, and that process was carefully managed by NBA and corporate marketing. College basketball doesn’t have that luxury. What Clark did has yet to be replicated by anyone else, in terms of shooting. Folks may tune in for a while, but if it’s a more “regression to the mean” product in terms of quality, I suspect the numbers will regress as well.

I do think ESPN is going to try their damndest to make Paige Bueckers the Caitlyn Clark of 2024-2025. They will be all in on her like they always are for UConn players, so watching UConn’s viewership numbers may give us a heads up on whether or not the overall audience engagement will persist.

I tend to believe it’s a roll of the dice. As a casual comparison, Jordan juiced the NBA until the next generation of superstars could mature, and that process was carefully managed by NBA and corporate marketing. College basketball doesn’t have that luxury. What Clark did has yet to be replicated by anyone else, in terms of shooting. Folks may tune in for a while, but if it’s a more “regression to the mean” product in terms of quality, I suspect the numbers will regress as well.

I do think ESPN is going to try their damndest to make Paige Bueckers the Caitlyn Clark of 2024-2025. They will be all in on her like they always are for UConn players, so watching UConn’s viewership numbers may give us a heads up on whether or not the overall audience engagement will persist.

As much as I loathe CT and their ability to get nearly all the best recruits year after year, Bueckers is the obvious, and correct IMO, choice to be the No.1 "It Girl" to take over for Caitlin Clark next season attention-wise. Bueckers was NPOY as a freshman and very well could have repeated the next year, possibly two, if she'd never been seriously injured. So, yeah, hers will be the most naturally compelling story.

My hope, of course, is that even with all that attention her college career will end without a national championship, but not because of anything Paige herself has done, but because her beloved a-hole coach convinced the US. Olympic Committee that Candace Parker wasn't a good enough fit for the 2016 team despite being the reigning WNBA MVP, a leading performer in qualifying events, as well as being the "face of the team" in all PR events leading up to the 2016 Games.

Sorry, Paige. It's one of those "the sins of the fathers will be passed on to his children" kinda thangs. In your next life, please consider playing for someone who isn't a total vindictiive, thinly-veiled misogynistic @ss. lol

Last edited:
As much as I loathe CT and their ability to get nearly all the best recruits year after year, Bueckers is the obvious, and correct IMO, choice to be the No.1 "It Girl" to take over for Caitlin Clark next season attention-wise. Bueckers was NPOY as a freshman and very well could have repeated the next year, possibly two, if she'd never been seriously injured. So, yeah, hers will be the most naturally compelling story.

My hope, of course, is that even with all that attention her college career will end without a national championship, but not because of anything Paige herself has done, but because her beloved a-hole coach convinced the US. Olympic Committee that Candace Parker wasn't a good enough fit for the 2016 team despite being the reigning WNBA MVP, a leading performer in qualifying events, as well as being the "face of the team" in all PR events leading up to the 2016 Games.

Sorry, Paige. It's one of those "the sins of the fathers will be passed on to his children" kinda thangs. In your next life, please consider playing for someone who isn't a total vindictiive, thinly-veiled misogynistic @ss. lol

I don’t think we’re going to see the same kind of viewership for just Bueckers or anyone else that we have seen with Clark. The casual fan or the fans that had no interest in women’s basketball prior to Clark aren’t going to tune in just to see what Bueckers will do or any other player that I can think of right now outside of maybe Juju Watkins depending on what she does next year and how well USC performs. Bueckers also likely won’t need to carry the scoring load next season, so her ppg will probably be down.

Those logos threes and the passing got people hyped and watching, and without that I don’t think we see those record numbers next year. Also, love her or hate her, Angel Reese and LSU were a huge draw for people that don’t really follow women’s basketball. I watched a lot of games out at sports bars and around town this postseason, and I can’t tell you how many people were constantly saying how much they love Angel Reese and Kim Mulkey. These were not people who followed women’s basketball much before either, but they were drawn in by them. LSU sports are just hugely popular here in Dallas as well.

Womens college ball is still in a great place even without Clark and there are many other great players and teams to look forward to seeing next year. Hopefully attendance keeps increasing.

I don’t think we’re going to see the same kind of viewership for just Bueckers or anyone else that we have seen with Clark. The casual fan or the fans that had no interest in women’s basketball prior to Clark aren’t going to tune in just to see what Bueckers will do or any other player that I can think of right now outside of maybe Juju Watkins depending on what she does next year and how well USC performs. Bueckers also likely won’t need to carry the scoring load next season, so her ppg will probably be down.

Those logos threes and the passing got people hyped and watching, and without that I don’t think we see those record numbers next year. Also, love her or hate her, Angel Reese and LSU were a huge draw for people that don’t really follow women’s basketball. I watched a lot of games out at sports bars and around town this postseason, and I can’t tell you how many people were constantly saying how much they love Angel Reese and Kim Mulkey. These were not people who followed women’s basketball much before either, but they were drawn in by them. LSU sports are just hugely popular here in Dallas as well.

Womens college ball is still in a great place even without Clark and there are many other great players and teams to look forward to seeing next year. Hopefully attendance keeps increasing.

Agreed, everyone but the UConn fans is tired of the UConn show.

I was THRILLED to see all the comments on ESPNs post of the bird and Taurasi show asking why it was even a thing and why ESPN would pay two UConn grads to talk trash about Clark for two hours while she played. It was confusing to all the new viewers.

Viewership will slam back to earth next season unless a player like Juju take the flame from Clark.

Last edited:
Those logos threes and the passing got people hyped and watching, and without that I don’t think we see those record numbers next year.

You nailed it for me. It was compelling to me and everyone I know to watch Clark because it was actually shocking how far out she was shooting from. Every game, and even more shockingly in the biggest games, we'd all collectively throw our hands up in, "Oh my God, I can't believe she just made that" wonder. She casually and routinely took, and made, shots we usually only ever saw taken as desperate heaves as time was running out. Her audacity is what set her apart and what drew people to see what she might do next. Would she start shooting from literal half court? Hell, she might! 😂

And yes, many of her passes were crazy exciting, too. Granted, plenty of those didn't reach their target, but when they did it was fun to watch. Noone else in the game this season exuded the same kind of confidence and audacity.

Also, for me she is fascinating because -- and I mean no disrespect to Clark -- she doesn't exactly look like she'd be as good as she is. She just looks like a regular girl to me. She's not very quick, either, but her court vision and basketball IQ stand out in every game.

I'm not sure anyone next season will have as many unusual qualities that make them stand out like she did, but we'll see. Yeah, there'll be high scorers, and great passers. But will they constantly shock the hell out of us like Clark did?

I'm sure this analogy will be punctured quickly, but it's the best I can do on short notice.

To me, Clark is the Maravich to Bueckers' Stockton.

Clark is flashy and jaw-dropping; Bueckers is ruthlessly efficient.

People traveled for miles and packed arenas to see Clark/Maravich, and word-of+ mouth made them household names and must-see events; fans grudgingly respected, hated, and feared Bueckers/Stockton for their team impact, leadership, consistency, and clutch play.

yo, superflychickenlover

Dawn has improved (bought better players) since that tainted 2017 title win. But that doesn't remove the fact that she got lucky that she didn't have to beat UConn to win it. :)

yo, superflychickenlover

Dawn has improved (bought better players) since that tainted 2017 title win. But that doesn't remove the fact that she got lucky that she didn't have to beat UConn to win it. :)
They got lucky LSU beat UCLA, that’s the team I had winning it all, or Angel Reese not getting hurt.

Agreed, everyone but the UConn fans is tired of the UConn show.

I was THRILLED to see all the comments on ESPNs post of the bird and Taurasi show asking why it was even a thing and why ESPN would pay two UConn grads to talk trash about Clark for two hours while she played. It was confusing to all the new viewers.

Viewership will slam back to earth next season unless a player like Juju take the flame from Clark.
Depends on if the sports networks promote her nonstop for like 6 months like they did Clark, which I’m sure they won’t, they will probably promote Paige instead.

Joni Taylor probably fired at A&M after next season. Don’t think it matter who she gets in the portal. She just isn’t a very good coach TBH

Last season was the best roster she’s ever had a they did very little with it.

Rodgers is not using her extra year and will be going to the W and with Barker leaving that’s really all their star power gone.

Does Coulibaly have more eligibility or was this it for her?

Joni Taylor probably fired at A&M after next season. Don’t think it matter who she gets in the portal. She just isn’t a very good coach TBH

Last season was the best roster she’s ever had a they did very little with it.

Rodgers is not using her extra year and will be going to the W and with Barker leaving that’s really all their star power gone.

Does Coulibaly have more eligibility or was this it for her?
Coulibaly has one more year,

Reactions: VolBall09

VN Store

Back