Non-Lady Vol Basketball News 2023-24

You would pick her over Staley? If so, I get it, did more with less story? Wonder if UT was the lone undefeated team replacing all of their starters if you would pick UT coach over Gottlieb, there is no wrong answer obviously, they are all worthy. Vic should have been in contention imo, but they only pick 4. Something tells me (spider senses) I’m being jacked with, even if not it’s cool, but has an undefeated coach ever not won it? I don’t know. Lot of games before April 3 though. Part of that coach of the year formula thing needs to account for recruiting and development obviously, huge (biggest?) part of the job.
For me it’s because USC pre season ranking was outside the top 20 and they was picked 6th in their conference and won the tournament. And to climb all the way up the rankings and get a number one seed with a freshman leading u was impressive. Going undefeated is always a good thing but everyone says they have the best roster and are unbeatable and nobody has a chance against them so they should never lose if u listen to them.

For me it’s because USC pre season ranking was outside the top 20 and they was picked 6th in their conference and won the tournament. And to climb all the way up the rankings and get a number one seed with a freshman leading u was impressive. Going undefeated is always a good thing but everyone says they have the best roster and are unbeatable and nobody has a chance against them so they should never lose if u listen to them.
Agree. I've always thought it was lazy voting to just reflexively give COY to the coach of the team w the best record or finish. I get that Dawn's team wasn't picked to be this good this year, but looking at that roster that's more the fault of the pickers than credit anything Dawn did. DS is a goddess of a recruiter, runs a good tight ship to be proud of, and has manipulated all the moving parts expertly. But for the coaching award, I like whoever unexpectedly did more with less the best.

If misery loves company, move over for Va Tech. A few weeks ago they were entering post season thinking a possible second straight FF. Then you get spanked in the conf tourney semis, see your best player's Sr season end in injury, go out of the big dance early, lose your coach, lose your remaining best player. Other than that Mrs. Lincoln . . .

Agree. I've always thought it was lazy voting to just reflexively give COY to the coach of the team w the best record or finish. I get that Dawn's team wasn't picked to be this good this year, but looking at that roster that's more the fault of the pickers than credit anything Dawn did. DS is a goddess of a recruiter, runs a good tight ship to be proud of, and has manipulated all the moving parts expertly. But for the coaching award, I like whoever unexpectedly did more with less the best.
All good points glv. I wonder though, again, has a coach ever started a year with 5 new starters and gone undefeated and how that might rank amongst the all time best coaching jobs done. In my mind, this is the best year of coaching Staley has ever done under the circumstances, but again, they are all worthy.

All good points glv. I wonder though, again, has a coach ever started a year with 5 new starters and gone undefeated and how that might rank amongst the all time best coaching jobs done. In my mind, this is the best year of coaching Staley has ever done under the circumstances, but again, they are all worthy.
Depends on the abilities and rankings of those 5 new starters. When they're either the top recruits in the world or hand picked out of the portal, with a whole team of similar ranking right behind on the bench, not sure it's COY worthy. Helluva recruiting coup though.

Depends on the abilities and rankings of those 5 new starters. When they're either the top recruits in the world or hand picked out of the portal, with a whole team of similar ranking right behind on the bench, not sure it's COY worthy. Helluva recruiting coup though.
Understand. As a side note, that type of reasoning would have taken some COY awards away from coach PS I suspect, she was almost always one of the best record wise during her runs but little question that she had the most talent many years. It’s subjective, I get it. I tend to maybe give too much credit to the coach who actually builds those rosters and develops them through recruiting efforts and training, which I admittedly place some level of emphasis on in these matters.

It’s interesting however to look back at preseason rankings and read what folks were thinking before the season started. Back then, most were ranking SC around 6 and that was mostly based upon coaching pedigree and former results. It was supposed to be a rebuilding year tbh. It’s also no easy task to manage a roster with 9 AA’s, and keep everyone happy and productive, accepting their roles and flourishing. If the USC coach wins I will be happy for her. Wouldn’t trade her for Dawn however, who I believe is at the apex of this profession right now in all aspects.

Last edited:
Understand. As a side note, that type of reasoning would have taken some COY awards away from coach PS I suspect, she was almost always one of the best record wise during her runs but little question that she had the most talent many years. It’s subjective, I get it. I tend to maybe give too much credit to the coach who actually builds those rosters and develops them through recruiting efforts and training, which I admittedly place some level of emphasis on in these matters.

It’s interesting however to look back at preseason rankings and read what folks were thinking before the season started. Back then, most were ranking SC around 6 and that was mostly based upon coaching pedigree and former results. It was supposed to be a rebuilding year tbh. It’s also no easy task to manage a roster with 9 AA’s, and keep everyone happy and productive, accepting their roles and flourishing. If the USC coach wins I will be happy for her. Wouldn’t trade her for Dawn however, who I believe is at the apex of this profession right now in all aspects.
Given out narrative has been that it is hard to integrate transfers into a coherent unit, what Coach Staley has accomplished this season warrants a lot of praise.

Per KY, I thought it was interesting that one Brooks first comments concerned the importance of getting his program more competitive in the NIL game. Looking at his history, he always has had decent teams but hit lightning in a bottle with Kitley and Amoore and that got him to his one FF. I am not shaking in my boots over his being at KY. Texas coming into the conference is the 500 pound gorilla....

Last edited:
Let’s play a game…interested in all my UT friend’s take on the SC/IU game, I have said my prediction is:

79-63 SC

what say ye all? Some chance I am overly optimistic.

You are probably overly conservative. Indiana is fairly unathletic, even by B1G standards. If they are hitting on 3-pointers they are likely to keep the game close. The problem is, that it's hard to stay hot for 40 minutes from the perimeter (as Maryland proved against Iowa State). Even if Indiana manages to keep the game close in the first half, I expect them to wear down in the second half as they don't get much contribution from their bench in either minutes or points.

My guess would be more along the lines of 87-59 with South Carolina running the Hoosiers ragged in the second half.

Let’s play a game…interested in all my UT friend’s take on the SC/IU game, I have said my prediction is:

79-63 SC

I think you should be optimistic! South Carolina imo is the more athletic and well rounded team, so even if it’s close in the first two quarters i’d expect separation later in the game. I’ll say 84 SC 66 Indiana.

79-63 SC

79-63 SC

I’m going 82-79 USC in a closer than expected on a neutral floor. USC may see PaoPoa struggle from the 3 and Fuwiley May look like a freshman. really depends USC is always a few well strung possessions from a blowout

I think you should be optimistic! South Carolina imo is the more athletic and well rounded team, so even if it’s close in the first two quarters i’d expect separation later in the game. I’ll say 84 SC 66 Indiana.
I won't give a score prediction but I will give an analogy. SC is a bulldozer and UI is a house made of bamboo and straw.

I won't give a score prediction but I will give an analogy. SC is a bulldozer and UI is a house made of bamboo and straw.
@madtownvol, you might be right, I still have visions of the Iowa game from FF last year, but IU does not have a Clark….thx for input all, I’m not sure of the outcome except to say I think SC will win, my gut says they pull away in second half and separate.

Btw, wanted to say thanks to all of you for putting up with me these past ten years on your forum, I do not take it for granted and have become great friends with many here. This is the best WBB site and I would know, I’ve checked them all out. You people are the best WBB fans in the nation. Great folks here, you are all passionate about this sport we love, thx for having us outsiders, hope I have been a positive net overall to this site that I have come to love. Peace and Love in the immortal words of Ringo Starr…Thx for letting guys like me being allowed to hang here.

Last edited:
I agree with this. And I'll be at the game! Excited to see some of these players in person for the first time (particularly excited to see Hidalgo in the first game of the day).

I agree with this. And I'll be at the game! Excited to see some of these players in person for the first time (particularly excited to see Hidalgo in the first game of the day).
Travis, watch Fulwiley when she gets in the game. Enjoy and have fun, I will be at the game Sunday if SC wins. Will be a little bitter sweet for me, I’m from Maine and Kenzie Holmes is very close to a family member of mine, I have watched her play at IU and am proud of her, she is the best BB player that has come from Maine. Watch out for the young man going to Duke next year btw, he is from Maine and the top rated player in his class. We don’t get a lot of Div 1 players from Maine so those of us originally from there pull hard for them.

Last edited:

VN Store

Back