New NCAA Kickoff Rule Approved..

We've seen this before. Long ago, there was something called a jump ball in basketball that was a part of the game. With every "tie up", it went to the closest circle and the two guys had a jump ball. It was deemed unfair if you had a lot of tall guys, so they did away with it. Now there is one jump ball per game and the possession arrow provides the safe space for the shorter teams. I'd like to see the jump ball come back, but it never will.

Will the same thing happen with the kickoff. If the kickoff dies, the onside kick will go the way of the jump ball in basketball.

You could never completely eliminate the kickoff entirely. With the current rules the reeceiving team doesn't have to fair catch it, giving themselves the option to run it to the house. You also would prevent the kicking team from making a comeback by using the onside kick.

Essentially a late score by one team to grab the lead would be almost an automatic loss for the other team. You might as well just end the game.

I look forward to the addition of a safe space on the field... if you can get there with the ball...score 9 points. Maybe its a hill that has to be climbed, so it is not too easy to score.

I think we need to find what triggers our players, especially the defense.

so, a couple years ago, when whats his name fielded that kick off at the 1 yard line, and FL had to start the possession there...(bad football play on his part), under this rule, he gets bailed out and it goes to the 25, correct? that sucks. i like it when opponents do dumb stuff like that.

and the returner can still choose to return the ball....

Today's "safety" rules in college and pro football are based purely on litigation risk. Schools and team Ownerships are pretty succeptible to being sued over concussions and such as players can claim they knew about the dangers and did nothing. From a business standpoint in a society that sues over anything and everything, this is a necessity for survival as they see it.

Players running directly at each other in excess of 20+ miles per hour..... nasty nasty collisions happen. I like the NCAA adjusting rules to help keep these kids from injury.

Liberalism ruining everything, even our college football.

Regardless, further wussification of America.

Anything you disagree with is not automatically liberal. This is the result of lawyers. Lawyerism. Why isn't that already a word?

Now will quit with calling everything you don't like 'liberal'. It makes us look like single-minded, single brain celled idiots who can't see what's really going on in the world.

If you want to keep the lawyers out of the game and preserve it for decades to come, figure out how to significantly limit the risk of CTE after long-term play. There's no use whining about extending and even saving lives when you don't have a legitimate option to bring to the table.

It's amazing what we're fine having happen to other people for the sake of our entertainment.

We're all going to be sitting around 10 years from now saying "Do y'all remember when football was fun, and they allowed you to tackle the sum***** with the ball?"

Reactions: 2 people
Chronic traumatic encephalopathy; if you don't end up with it, you're not playing hard enough!

Who needs a functioning brain and long life, anyway?

People quit watching boxing after Larry Holmes beat Tex Cobb for 15 rounds.. never seen a man take such beating with dropping

The irony is that by the time the receiver makes the fair catch, the majority of those the speed collisions that occur on kickoffs will already have occurred.

The rules have for a long time allowed fair catches on kickoffs anywhere within the playing field. But the ball had to be placed where the receiving team "fair-caught" the ball.

In other words--receiving teams could always execute a fair catch inside the 25 yard line--but the ball would be put in play where it was caught by the receiving team. Therefore, there was no strategic advantage by executing a fair catch at the 10 yard line on those extremely high kickoffs.

This new rule just removes the yardage penalty for doing so.

The KO return man will still have to decide whether he wants to attempt advancing the ball or let it hit the ground (in the end zone) or fair catch it (outside of the end zone up to the 25 yd line).

Many coaches already coached their "up" backs stationed on the receiving team around the 30-40 yard line to execute a fair catch if the ball was "pooched" to them on kickoffs.

Oh, I see. I thought the new rule meant ALL fair catches on kickoffs went to the 25.

That makes more sense. lol

I look forward to the addition of a safe space on the field... if you can get there with the ball...score 9 points. Maybe its a hill that has to be climbed, so it is not too easy to score.

We played against Watertown my senior year of high school, the back of one of their endzones was legitimately a sloping upward hill.

VN Store

Back