New NCAA Kickoff Rule Approved..

the article also mentioned these changes all of which are more significant imo

“The offense will not be allowed to block below the waist when the block occurs more than 5 yards beyond the line of scrimmage. Additionally, other than the interior linemen, all blocks below the waist must be from the front.”
“The addition of a 10-second runoff was approved when instant replay overturns the ruling on the field inside of one minute in either half, and the correct ruling would not have stopped the game clock.” An example of the enforcement of this rule occurred in an NFL game between the Atlanta Falcons and Detroit Lions last season. The Lions were originally ruled to have scored a touchdown with just a few seconds remaining, but replay showed the player was down before crossing the goal line. After overturning the call, the 10-second runoff ended the game.
“Leaping rules on field goals and extra points were adjusted to mirror similar rules regarding leaping the shield on punting plays. It is illegal to leap over the frame of the body of an opponent.”
“On successful field goals, penalty enforcement will be the same as on made extra points. Namely, all personal fouls and unsportsmanlike conduct fouls by the defending team will have the option to be enforced on the ensuing kickoff.”

I guess all movie football is out, along with video game football, and also actual football. Perhaps this is the NCAA version of the anthem protests, they have some excess fans they no longer want.

I'm not sold on Guarantano. Just don't think he is our answer. Seems like McBride is getting more attention during game situations.

I honestly would like to see if Shrout develops enough to start but I do believe the job will go to Christ.

I can only hope JC is our QB in the fall, but alas it will either be Guarantano or Chryst. :lolabove:

Why are kickoffs even still part of the game? Overtime is plenty exciting without them. After a team scores, just spot the ball at the 25 for the other team. Reduces injury, speeds game up.

Team might not have even made it to overtime without an onside kick. Only strategy to make up points fast when down with time running out. To me, it would take away a huge part of football.

Reactions: 1 person
Flags to be issued prior to the start of the 2020 season. Must attach at the waste and each player must have a minimum of 2.

Flags to be issued prior to the start of the 2020 season. Must attach at the waste and each player must have a minimum of 2.

Don't people always go to that argument though after any safety related rule change? I mean, there was a time when facemasks were for wusses.

It’s a great rule

28% of concussions occur on kickoffs and accounts for less than 5% of total play.
It is a collision sport.

After watching 'Concussion' I did some soul searching about football. It took me a couple of weeks to decide that by the time kids get to the college level they know what's up. It is a DANGEROUS sport, and it is voluntary to play. But, as Indiana Jones said "Fortune and glory kid". No one is forced to play. That being said, I would outlaw it tomorrow at any and all levels below college.

I don't mind this rule, but I wish they'd balance it out by putting the ball at the 20 yard line if it goes in the endzone. That way, at least you're rewarding the team with the better kicker.
Better kicker? If a guy can get more seconds of hang time and put the ball inside the 5, THAT is the better kicker. Not some chump that can kick it into the stands every time. Putting it on the 20 rewards the team with the weaker special teams but a strong leg. Might just as well not even kick it and start on the 20.

You probably don't remember coffin corner punting either though. Kicking used to be a skill position. Now it is just brute force.

Don't people always go to that argument though after any safety related rule change? I mean, there was a time when facemasks were for wusses.
It was TIC. And I think they should do away with face masks too. I agree with Ditka.

Liberalism ruining everything, even our college football.
Liberalism, ahem, is a political doctrine that takes protecting and enhancing the freedom of the individual to be the central problem of politics. So if 'enhancing the freedom' of the college kickoff personnel by eliminating as many debilitating injuries as possible, call me Liberal Larry.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thegasman54 View Post
It’s a great rule.
28% of concussions occur on kickoffs and accounts for less than 5% of total play.

It is a collision sport.

After watching 'Concussion' I did some soul searching about football. It took me a couple of weeks to decide that by the time kids get to the college level they know what's up. It is a DANGEROUS sport, and it is voluntary to play. But, as Indiana Jones said "Fortune and glory kid". No one is forced to play. That being said, I would outlaw it tomorrow at any and all levels below college.

Agree with both posters.

The proof of this rule's pudding will be in the statistical reassessments of the # of injuries and their severity after enforcement in the first year or two.

How long until someone fair catches beyond the 25 yard line?

The rules have for a long time allowed fair catches on kickoffs anywhere within the playing field. But the ball had to be placed where the receiving team "fair-caught" the ball.

In other words--receiving teams could always execute a fair catch inside the 25 yard line--but the ball would be put in play where it was caught by the receiving team. Therefore, there was no strategic advantage by executing a fair catch at the 10 yard line on those extremely high kickoffs.

This new rule just removes the yardage penalty for doing so.

The KO return man will still have to decide whether he wants to attempt advancing the ball or let it hit the ground (in the end zone) or fair catch it (outside of the end zone up to the 25 yd line).

Many coaches already coached their "up" backs stationed on the receiving team around the 30-40 yard line to execute a fair catch if the ball was "pooched" to them on kickoffs.

It cuts down on the number of returns which are the plays with the most injuries. Rather than new rules, I don't see why they don't just eliminate kickoffs.

Would also eliminate onside kicks. End the possibility of some exciting finishes.

It’s a great rule

Eh, get rid of the kickoff or don't. *****footing around the actual issue with rules like this just prolong the game with a boring, meaningless play.

That is, if any teams take advantage of it. Which I highly doubt.

Would also eliminate onside kicks. End the possibility of some exciting finishes.

"Give the receiving team the ball at their 25, or attempt an onside kick where in the event the receiving team recovers, they receive the ball at the kicking teams 40 yard line."

That would be a pretty easy way to keep onside kicks but have no kickoff.

Didn't say I necessarily agree with it.... just that it's pretty obvious they're going to end up there eventually anyway.

Yeah. And that’s too bad. How would a team get a chance to get the call back following a score (Like with an onside kick)?

Liberalism, ahem, is a political doctrine that takes protecting and enhancing the freedom of the individual to be the central problem of politics. So if 'enhancing the freedom' of the college kickoff personnel by eliminating as many debilitating injuries as possible, call me Liberal Larry.

If you're that concerned with debilitating injuries you wouldn't support football in general.

VN Store

Back