New NCAA Kickoff Rule Approved..

Why are kickoffs even still part of the game? Overtime is plenty exciting without them. After a team scores, just spot the ball at the 25 for the other team. Reduces injury, speeds game up.

Reactions: 1 person
Neuheisel actually had a pretty cool idea about a month ago. No regular kickoffs, but when a team scores with under 2 min left in the game and they are still down by less than 10 points, they have the option of just giving it back to the other team if they believe their defense can hold or force a turnover, kicki an onside kick, or complete a 4th and 20 offensive play from their 25 yards line to start a new drive.

Liberalism ruining everything, even our college football.

What happens when a player muffs the fair catch? Say the player muffs the catch at the 5 yard line, then hops on it and recovers it. Is the ball spotted where it’s recovered or does the receiving team still get to spot the ball at the 25?

Regardless, further wussification of America.

If you think player safety issues are evidence of wussifucation, I recommend just going to see a cockfight or something.

Reactions: 4 people
I look forward to the addition of a safe space on the field... if you can get there with the ball...score 9 points. Maybe its a hill that has to be climbed, so it is not too easy to score.

Bravo Al, bravo.

If you think player safety issues are evidence of wussifucation, I recommend just going to see a cockfight or something.

I can hook him up, I know some people in Kentucky 😁

One strategy might be for kickers to sky the kickoff to between the 10 and 20 in hopes of the returner calling for fair catch and muffing similar to punts.

isn't it technically allowed to punt the kickoff instead of kicking off a tee?

isn't it technically allowed to punt the kickoff instead of kicking off a tee?

Unless it has been changed only in the event of a safety can you punt a free kick. I think Colorado tried it two or three years ago against UCLA.

I don't mind this rule, but I wish they'd balance it out by putting the ball at the 20 yard line if it goes in the endzone. That way, at least you're rewarding the team with the better kicker.

Reactions: 2 people
I'm not sold on Guarantano. Just don't think he is our answer. Seems like McBride is getting more attention during game situations.

I honestly would like to see if Shrout develops enough to start but I do believe the job will go to Christ.

“McBride is getting more attention during game situations”?? No idea what this means.

The only “game situations” last season in which he “got more attention” and actually played, a half vs SoMiss and the game vs Missouri, which is I guess what you mean?....he was awful.

Why are kickoffs even still part of the game? Overtime is plenty exciting without them. After a team scores, just spot the ball at the 25 for the other team. Reduces injury, speeds game up.

if you eliminate kickoffs, then you are eliminating a way alot of players get drafted and stay on an NFL roster by playing special teams.

Welcome back squib kicks! You can't fair catch a kick once it has touched the ground. Next will come extending that rule to punts. And punts out of bounds inside the 10 are placed at the the 25.

if you eliminate kickoffs, then you are eliminating a way alot of players get drafted and stay on an NFL roster by playing special teams.

No one makes an NFL team based on their Special Teams play in college. They make NFL rosters by contributing to a position and being able to play ST's in the pros.

I look forward to the addition of a safe space on the field... if you can get there with the ball...score 9 points. Maybe its a hill that has to be climbed, so it is not too easy to score.

Sorta like "king's dex" in the old tag game... Only this way you get a reward. BS

YES!!!! A safe space. The receiver says; "Ok You BULLIES, No Tackling!"

On the 10 second runoff, there should be an option to use a timeout to prevent the runoff.

Pretty sure that if you commit a penalty that would result in a 10 second runoff, if you have any timeouts remaining, you are assessed that timeout instead. I know that's the NFL model, and I'm assuming that key part was adopted by the NCAA when they added the runoff a few years back.

No one makes an NFL team based on their Special Teams play in college. They make NFL rosters by contributing to a position and being able to play ST's in the pros.

You pretty much repeated what he said. There's a lot of players out there who won't earn a spot on an NFL roster because they won't have much to contribute outside of special teams (Kick returns in this case). You think guys like Michael Campanaro or Marc Mariani have been/were in the league as long as they have because of their contributions at WR?

VN Store

Back