New NCAA Kickoff Rule Approved..

I look forward to the addition of a safe space on the field... if you can get there with the ball...score 9 points. Maybe its a hill that has to be climbed, so it is not too easy to score.

Safe places are popping up all over.

Could you not already fair catch kicks? Or does this mean you can fair catch at the 5 and it give you the ball at the 25? What good does this do at all???

Yes you could fair catch kicks but you got the ball where it was caught. Now any ball fair caught inside the 25 yd line will be placed at the 25 yd line.

:loco:

No one makes an NFL team based on their Special Teams play in college. They make NFL rosters by contributing to a position and being able to play ST's in the pros.

didn't say they did, but once college eliminated kickoffs how long do you think the NFL follows?

And with all this they still haven't implemented the most obvious change - eliminate the running start on kickoffs. Gotta stand still right on the line of the kick until it is kicked. Won't eliminate the problem but won't hurt and won't be a noticeable change to the fans.

"Give the receiving team the ball at their 25, or attempt an onside kick where in the event the receiving team recovers, they receive the ball at the kicking teams 40 yard line."

That would be a pretty easy way to keep onside kicks but have no kickoff.

If the only time you EVER kickoff is to attempt an onside kick? That’ll be a polished squad. :thud:

If you don't run back a kick outside of the end zone your ST is an absolute liability. I sure hope we won't be taking "advantage" of this rule.

It depends on the kick. Kickers with strong legs are getting pretty good at the “sky kick,” which drops the ball inside the 10 with the coverage already well down field. It results, typically, a very short return.

Players get hurt tackling, let's not tackle anymore

Eventually, the sport will be obsolete. It will die

Even though I love the game, I would rather see it die than watch it become a shell of itself.

Reactions: 3 people
Safe places are popping up all over.

Yeah, I hope this isn't a precursor to the day when ball carriers see a man on defense ready to tackle him so he just throws his towel on the field and is ruled down by contact.

The types that quit during tryouts because they "didn't like it."

I think I'll just laugh instead of puke.

We've seen this before. Long ago, there was something called a jump ball in basketball that was a part of the game. With every "tie up", it went to the closest circle and the two guys had a jump ball. It was deemed unfair if you had a lot of tall guys, so they did away with it. Now there is one jump ball per game and the possession arrow provides the safe space for the shorter teams. I'd like to see the jump ball come back, but it never will.

Will the same thing happen with the kickoff. If the kickoff dies, the onside kick will go the way of the jump ball in basketball.

Attachments

• 54951.jpg
    54951.jpg
    52 KB · Views: 2
Reactions: 1 person
What about just just tacking on ten yards from the point the ball is caught on a fair catch, up to the fifteen yard line? If it is caught on the five it would be spotted at the fifteen , at the fifteen it would be spotted at the 25.

And any fair catch between the 15 and 25 gets spotted at the 25 yard line.

And with all this they still haven't implemented the most obvious change - eliminate the running start on kickoffs. Gotta stand still right on the line of the kick until it is kicked. Won't eliminate the problem but won't hurt and won't be a noticeable change to the fans.

Agree 100%. It'd also make onside kicks a little safer.

Agree 100%. It'd also make onside kicks a little safer.

I think this would make the chances of recovering an onside kick about zero.

Reactions: 1 person
If the only time you EVER kickoff is to attempt an onside kick? That’ll be a polished squad. :thud:

Not sure what you're getting at. You think they practice hands team every day with the rules how they are now?

You would literally have the same amount of onside kicks that you have now.

We've seen this before. Long ago, there was something called a jump ball in basketball that was a part of the game. With every "tie up", it went to the closest circle and the two guys had a jump ball. It was deemed unfair if you had a lot of tall guys, so they did away with it. Now there is one jump ball per game and the possession arrow provides the safe space for the shorter teams. I'd like to see the jump ball come back, but it never will.

Will the same thing happen with the kickoff. If the kickoff dies, the onside kick will go the way of the jump ball in basketball.

There has always been an easy solution to that. A held ball should be a turnover. Jump it If it's not obvious who had last possession.

I think this would make the chances of recovering an onside kick about zero.

As it should be. An onside kick is a desperation move by a team that essentially has been beaten. It should be a low probability of success.

Not exactly why the jump ball rule was changed in college basketball. To often there was a tie up between 5' 10" guards with 6' 9" power forward types and it made the jump ball a forgone conclusion. If you're a coach under the old rule you taught your kids to play defense and diving for balls based on their height. Why have a guard dive for balls, only have your tall guys do it, the risk of a foul was too great for very little chance of a reward, the turnover. The alternating possession rule bettered the game IMO as it amped the level of defensive play by all players on the court. These days you see guards going after balls the bigs have bobbled and gain the turnover. It really had very little to do with the overall makeup of taller teams vs smaller teams.

the article also mentioned these changes all of which are more significant imo

“The offense will not be allowed to block below the waist when the block occurs more than 5 yards beyond the line of scrimmage. Additionally, other than the interior linemen, all blocks below the waist must be from the front.”
“The addition of a 10-second runoff was approved when instant replay overturns the ruling on the field inside of one minute in either half, and the correct ruling would not have stopped the game clock.” An example of the enforcement of this rule occurred in an NFL game between the Atlanta Falcons and Detroit Lions last season. The Lions were originally ruled to have scored a touchdown with just a few seconds remaining, but replay showed the player was down before crossing the goal line. After overturning the call, the 10-second runoff ended the game.
“Leaping rules on field goals and extra points were adjusted to mirror similar rules regarding leaping the shield on punting plays. It is illegal to leap over the frame of the body of an opponent.”
“On successful field goals, penalty enforcement will be the same as on made extra points. Namely, all personal fouls and unsportsmanlike conduct fouls by the defending team will have the option to be enforced on the ensuing kickoff.”

Somewhere, Paul Johnson's head is exploding right now.

VN Store

Back